Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Ok, think I have sorted the H4 conversion . Basically I think the XRV website article was wrong. Read about it here if you own a BA20D light set and are wanting to convert to H4!
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    '96 Africa Twin
    I'm here! '1996' AT (According to haynes manual chassis number its an '94... but sold new in 96?)

Now... do i remove the 'pink bits' and maybe replace with some grey decals/leave blank or just leave it stock... (I hate the pink tho)

Now: '96 XLV750 'Africa Twin'

Then:
    2007 V-strom 1000
    2006 VFR
    1999 VFR
    1996 Hornet
    1993 ZXR

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Quote Originally Posted by ev0lution View Post
    I'm here! '1996' AT (According to haynes manual chassis number its an '94... but sold new in 96?)

Now... do i remove the 'pink bits' and maybe replace with some grey decals/leave blank or just leave it stock... (I hate the pink tho)
    Pink!!!!! What were they thinking?????

Ditch the pink mate!!!

Cheers, Dave

Bike
    '96 Africa Twin
    Who has panniers on their machines? What are they/where did you get them and how much?

Want some hard panniers, but not paying the $$$$ for Touratech ones.

Oh, and same for crash bars

Pics please!

Then:
    2007 V-strom 1000
    2006 VFR
    1999 VFR
    1996 Hornet
    1993 ZXR

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Who has panniers on their machines? What are they/where did you get them and how much?

Want some hard panniers, but not paying the $$$$ for Touratech ones.

Oh, and same for crash bars

Pics please!
    Hi evOlution, sorry we didnt manage to catch up on our travels last month .
    I made canvas panniers myself ,pretty much coppied these http://www.andystrapz.com/ and they are the schiz for the type of riding I do ,collapse up small with not much in ,pack them full when I've got a lot of gear and when you arse up they dont crack to pieces or bust your leg.
    Made my own crash bars from ss tube ,alot of faafing about though.
    will post some pics someday when I figure how to do it

Bike
    Blog Entries
    my crashbars work - couldn't live without them!
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    91 R80GS

Better pics needed I'm afraid. You can't tell me that's all you've got?

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    I,ve an old 90.s rd04 and love it to bits,old dog of a bike but so much fun to ride...anywhere....bought from a dutchman in hamilton and it broke down outside levin with the dreaded reg/rec cooking the battery.....had to buy new forks and tons of other stuff to get it going good but its worth it in the end.

Absolute must haves are the electrex reg/rec,new battery,facett fuel pump,crash bars ,hot grips and I have a givi wingrack ii but not fitted yet as I use it on my blackbird.Had some serios mitas knobblies on but have now put the milder ones as its coming up to winter and I need better roadholding.

If I had the money it would be for a bmw 800gs or the KLM but I hear the KTM s are a nightmare for maintenence.....let me know your views on this as any info is always welcome....

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    I wouldn't say the KTM is any more work to look after than the @.
    As long as all the recalls are done its not hard to work on, after the first service it easy.
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    '96 Africa Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Better pics needed I'm afraid. You can't tell me that's all you've got?
    I gave up and took the bike to the local signwriter and getting them to re-do the graphics to get rid of the pink bits... man the bike up a bit

Hopefully will have it all done by tomorrow...

Then:
    2007 V-strom 1000
    2006 VFR
    1999 VFR
    1996 Hornet
    1993 ZXR

Bike
    91 R80GS
    The pink looks better than the front guard. Is that the original white colour of the guard? Looks like a replacement. Anyhows the bike looks great & ready for adventure!!

That pipe looks horn.

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    The Arrow pipe sound outstanding with the baffle out but too quiet with it in.....but they are expensive.
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    ha, go the army bag! funnily enough I was looking to do the same thing this weekend!

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Just pulled my speedo drive to bits as it stopped working and found the plastic gear stripped .
    The cause of this seems to be that the cable was all gunged up and stiff to turn ,apparently this plastic cog is a weak point on the @ and I've ordered a new one from wemoto .
    My advise to @ owners is to pull the inner out of the cable , clean it and lube it before its too late.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    ah piss, that's probably happened to mine too then - I inspected the cable only and found it OK so lubed it up and reinstalled it thinking all was OK, but maybe not...

Currently have side panels off and have melted another plastic connector - the one where the 3 alt phase wires plug into the rectifier....

Think I will relocate the reg/rect anyway but might also replace the tabs incase its just a weak connection causeing the heat...

The electrics all worked fine on the NIIOTS ride so I don't think there are any major issues - jsut earthing and/or poor connectors?

Thread Information