Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Nice Jeff. Front shocks were enough for me a couple weeks back. Gotta try the oil level again though - think I got too little in there but the depth read right...(?). Had much less than the specified volume in the Haynes manual. ALso rode without air in the forks - I need air.

Put the new reg rect in, better V readings. Also did a CPU fan off the rear brake light to keep her cool, and relocated it all to the LHS. Still have the original mounted in stock location as a spare.

Still loving hte @ on the road, giving it death off road, but f*ck it's hard work pulling it out of a bog alone. Fat old cow.

I should ride out and bring some scones one day...
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    I found with 10w oil the forks were too bouncy with air so Im running zero air .also filled by measurement rather than quantity which I believe is the best way (did you take the springs out to do this?)
    We got jam and cream .

Bike
    Blog Entries
    yeah took springs out but barely took 1L between the two legs. Pumped em dry, pumped em full again. 7.5W. Measured oil depth (ie where the oil came up to on the tape with the springs out). Got both the same, springs in, tops on.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    That doesnt seem right does it ? I used about 1200ml from memory ,didnt measure the quantity cause I didnt have anything to measure it with ,just stuck a ss ruler down to measure the level.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    That doesnt seem right does it ? I used about 1200ml from memory ,didnt measure the quantity cause I didnt have anything to measure it with ,just stuck a ss ruler down to measure the level.
    nah it rode like a c*nt too...poor steering in the rough stuff, bottoming out etc...might jsut go by volume...

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I stopped in at Bulls on the way up to Hamilton and had a look a the @ currently on trade me.

The fairings are standard original but repainted white, there is some stress cracking around some of the screw holes but otherwise they appeared tidy. The rear panels are also standard original ones. The tank has been resprayed white with yellow markings, almost as it someone started turning it into a rallye rep or something.

It ran very well, smooth as anything at idle though I didn't ride it. Apparently the dealer has been riding it around a fair bit.

Only other thing I noticed was a lot of the bolts and fittings were a bit tarnished.

Price is $6500.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    just stuck a ss ruler down to measure the level.
    Get a cheap basting sucker (? whatever they're called, like a big eye dropper) from Briscoes, put some clear hose on the end. Put a cable tie around the hose at the right measurement up from the bottom. Over-fill the forks, stick tube in forks resting cable tie on fork top. Suck till she won't suck no more. Job done.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    Have you got this far with your stripping back and modifing yet buggs ?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    judging by the size of his fuel tank I reckon he'd get about 20 k's at full wrist

Nah, I've only taken the fairings and headlight frame and rear subframe off. Bit tight on $ at the moment, wof also about to expire so will probably have it off the road for the next month or two while I tinker. Certainly won't be anything as glamorous as the one above, but it will help me sleep at night after I've taken it off road!

Just gonna get an enduro headlight (DOT) and possibly a trailtech dash. Unsure about the rear just yet - tempted to go 3mm alloy plate.

Bike
    1998 Africa Twin XRV750
    Hi Underground.
    Ive got a 1997 XRV750. Not sure if it's a V or a P, one of the two It's the blue/white red one. You didn't by any chance call at Cycletreads in nelson today did you? Clive said someone from French Pass came in who owns an @ and took a few photos of mine, which was waiting for a tyre. I have a few issues Id like to solve - if there was some kind of mini forum that would be brilliant.
    For example - know anyone with a spare after market silencer?
    Id like to up the jets in the carbs
    Anyone ever fitted an "African Queen" petrol tap with fuel level sensor- the one that gets rid of the poxy plastic fuel tap extension.There's a story attached to this.
    Better, brighter headlamp bulb fitment
    How to bleed the bleeding front brakes efficiently and without going through a litre of fluid
    I need a speedo - there's a story behind this one too.
    I need some footrest rubbers
    And a meet for a cuppa and a chat would be great sometime with as many Africa Twin riders as poss.
    The short answer is "YES IM INTERESTED" !!!
    Steve

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Saw a very shiney AT today...

May have been you.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebill View Post
    Hi Underground.
    Ive got a 1997 XRV750. Not sure if it's a V or a P, one of the two It's the blue/white red one.

For example - know anyone with a spare after market silencer?

Better, brighter headlamp bulb fitment

I need a speedo - there's a story behind this one too.
    I need some footrest rubbers
    And a meet for a cuppa and a chat would be great sometime with as many Africa Twin riders as poss.
    The short answer is "YES IM INTERESTED" !!!
    Steve
    Hi Steve, if its a 97 I'd say its a V. I think the P was a 93 model.

I'm also in the market for a new exhaust can - keeping an eye on trademe for cheapish sportbike cans (600 - 1000cc). Current one is carbon and it's slowly destroying itself...

What bulbs do you have? are they H4 fitting or the crappy bayonet style eurpean specials? I rewired and butchered mine to become H4. Only way I could get above 45W without importing bulbs from the US.

Would be good to meet up with you and do a ride at some point. My RD04 is currently stripped down while I decide what to do with my cracked plastics.

Cheers, Matt

Bike
    1998 Africa Twin XRV750

H4 bulbs

Ive got H4 bulbs. 60/55s from memory. Dip's useless, but main seems ok but only ok. Id like to really up the ante to 80w with very white light @$90 ish a pair.Ive just done the same on my Toyota Hiace (experiment on something else I care about less!) and they're superb. the voltage didn't drop through the wiring, but Id still prefer to use relays on the bike if I up the bulb spec.
    I will add it to the list of things to do, which only ever grows.I need a speedo for a 1997 RD07 XRV750. Anybody got one with a nice square entry hole for the cable end? Ive fitted an Acewell digital speedo/rev counter/temp/trip meter which comes with an adaptor to fit the standard speedo cable in, so that both instruments work. This replaces the Honda trip/journey gizmo.Now, the original speedo doesn't work,didn't like being disturbed, the revs show tickover at 4k on the new instrument- and other assorted gremlins. Went through the warrant though! Tinkering's just great.One day it will all work, maybe even at the same time.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    not a speedo drive issue is it? theres a white cog in the front wheel unit which is plastic. I replaced mine a few weeks back as did Jeff - both were stripped out hence not driving the cable up to the speedo.

Bike
    Yep that was me alright , snooping around town taking photos

Tidy bike , wheres your bash plate ?
    Make that x3 for an exhaust can ,lights are an issue ,I've put brighter bulbs in but still not the best , the early models had no relays so thats my next step for illumination .
    Catching up would be good ,I'll pm you next time I'm out and about.

Thread Information