Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie

Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Just thought I'd start a thread for Africa Twin owners to discuss the awesomeness of our machinery and help each other with our (minor) problems.
    There must be more than the 3 owners I know of using this site and I've bumped into at least 3 keen wanabe's ,so make yourselves known .

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    I'm Buggs and I have been known to put Zerax's bike in danger by jumping my @ near it.

And I have carb balancing, fuel mix and alt/reg power issues, all of wot I'm trying to work through.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    I don't think I'd count myself as a wannabe (yet LOL!) but definite to you guys for owning one great lookin classic adv bike!
    Cheers, Dave

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I would, RD03's rock.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    If you don't already frequent the below site you will find all your answers there, while I had mine I never had to travel further than its forums to find the answers I needed.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    If you don't already frequent the below site you will find all your answers there, while I had mine I never had to travel further than its forums to find the answers I needed.

yeah a lot of good info there, plus my haynes manual. Fuel economy can wait, just this damn electrical...battery isn't boiling. Would have tested it again tonight but cooked tea, herded kids, now wife going out. *&^^$*&()%$
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    09 Duke 690
    They do have that issue and alot of the guys change the rectifers which pack up, I put a decent Yuasa sealed battery in mine and all the problems went away.
    The cheap old battery that was in it use to get really hot and wouldn't hold a charge but then it was a lower power battery than the factory recommended, the good news is the RD04 has an odd ball battery and they are a bitch to get hold of , but on the upside once I put a good battery in the bike it started much better, ran much better and didn't get anywhere as hot as the old battery.

I just modified the battery box on mine to make a RD07 Yuasa battery fit but there are some other brands that should have a battery to fit that's not a cheap and nasty.
    In the words of Juan-Manuel Fangio "Brakes they only slow you down"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    cheers for the tips. Bike came with a spare reg which tests ok. About to disappear out to the batcave now that the sproglets are tucked up in happyland. Battery is a Yuasa maintainable (ie not sealed) and seems ok. Didn't think about the odd size...might mod it if the time comes...

For now though, back to checking for grounds and bad connections etc.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If you like Africa Twins, you'll love this ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407209

Somone else on KB found this and posted the link - I read the 38 pages in one hit and wanted more.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Great bikes - maybe when I am rich enough to have a collection of bikes who knows...

Will be following this thread with interest.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    nope, still both my fitted and spare reg/rect test fine, alt has output on all 3 phases, reg outputs to battery + and - have fine continuity...hmmm.

Have now fitted my H4 bulbs (see mod here) but now they are pointing waaay too high. great light from twin 60/55W rather than the old 35/35W which were just diabolical to ride with at night! but yeah, just the aim to sort out, and at the moment it seems I have done all I can with the aim adjusters...

Underground? Heeeeeeeellllllllllpppppppppp!

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post

I should have titled this thread 'and has-beens' ...at least you've gone in the right direction ,I also aspire to own a 950 but not until I can afford one without selling the @.
    That forum is awesome alright ,it's answered a few difficult issues for me.
    Buggs , if theyre aiming too high lose some weight and if too low get a pillion
    I just fitted H4's straight into mine, just a matter of a straight bulb swap.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    If you like Africa Twins, you'll love this ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407209

Somone else on KB found this and posted the link - I read the 38 pages in one hit and wanted more.
    I keep waiting for someone to post up about how they should have left the wives behind and it's not a real adventure if they have got 4wd's with them

I'm only at about page 12...

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post

Yep, that was me that posted it. I was drooling.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    I'm only at about page 12...
    Caught up now...

Hmmm...
    Rainbow and Molesworth on steroids and almost as many guys with guns.

Thread Information