Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Africa Twin owners and wannabes thread

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    Here is an RD04 for sale here : https://trademe.co.nz/1319822681
    buggsubique/Matt: Hello. Thank you very much for the link to the RD04 on TradeMe.co.nz. I have already inquired about it but another potential buyer will check it out this weekend. I think it would be a perfect ride as long as it is okay mechanically. It has been difficult to communicate with TradeMe sellers since I am unable to register to the website. I have already registered on the Adventure Riding NZ site. I may post a brief introduction there as well. Thanks again!

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koonzee View Post
    buggsubique/Matt: Hello. Thank you very much for the link to the RD04 on TradeMe.co.nz. I have already inquired about it but another potential buyer will check it out this weekend. I think it would be a perfect ride as long as it is okay mechanically. It has been difficult to communicate with TradeMe sellers since I am unable to register to the website. I have already registered on the Adventure Riding NZ site. I may post a brief introduction there as well. Thanks again!
    Let me know if I can assist in any way with bike purchases. There is also an Africa twin New Zealand FB group with a few of us stalwarts on there so join that and connect with us there too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750
    >Q/R3: I read a post on this forum about a non-Kiwi rider experiencing complications with a carnet for Australia after buying a m/c in NZ. I will contact North America's carnet office about a scenario of an American buying a NZ motorcycle and wishing to obtain a carnet for Aus, SE Asia & India. Any thoughts?<

All: Please disregard the question above. I found the answer online. fyi

Answer:
    The Carnet Rules are that you are supposed to get a carnet in the country of registration IF that country has FIA / AIT Carnet issuing authority, usually the leading automobile club.

Bike
    F800GS
    The AA issues carnets in N.Z.
    Cost is $645 for non A.A. members $595 for members + 15% of bikes value for Australia, refundable on bikes return. I'm not sure on the % required for Asia. Or what happens if you don't return to the issuing country. Probably best to contact the AA directly
    http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/licensing-s...r-temporarily/

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750
    JATZ,

Hello and thank you writing. Your numbers appear much lower than the information I learned about the CPD carnet. I'll have to look into the AA reference. You may find the following interesting for future reference. Thanks again!

Regarding buying a motorcycle in a foreign country and applying for a carnet while traveling:
    The carnet of the motorcycle is dependent on the country where the motorcycle is registered.
    The carnet 'follows' the registration, regardless of the owner's nationality.

Regarding long term storage of a motorcycle with a carnet and departing the 'storage' country:
    There is no problem storing a motorcycle and leaving the country.
    For example, I wish to store a motorcycle in Malaysia and visit China for a couple months.

Regarding types of carnets:
    Therefore two kinds of carnets:
    ATA for commercial/professional use, and
    CPD for personal or touring use.
    Offices in Chicago & London. Chatting service is available online; Customer service has been excellent - via chat & phone
    cpdcarnet.com
    http://www.fia.com/travel-and-tourism

Carnet Applications:
    Everything may be submitted electronically.
    - Copy of passport
    - Copy of vehicle registration
    - Copy of two signed passport photographs ( may sign directly on the photographs or scan a page with two photographs on signed sheet of paper.
    - Photographs of the vehicle, front, sides and rear
    Allow three weeks to process.

Cost of carnet:
    http://www.cpdcarnet.com/calculator
    Example $1000 motorcycle (value)
    Two options:
    1. Cash Deposit: $5875, Net Cost after refund: $875
    2. Loss Prevention: $3,375, Net Cost after refund: $1295

All carnet issuing countries should cost about the same. The only difference may be the service or processing fee.

If one is traveling with a motorcycle and is not in the country where the motorcycle's registration and carnet was issues, it is possibly to sell the motorcycle/vehicle while on the road and still receive the deposit.
    In order to receive a deposit, you must provide:
    - Bill of Sale
    - Proof of payment of the country's VAT (if applicable)
    VAT will be a % based on vehicle valuation via NADA (for example) (Depends on the country in which it is sold.)

Just an fyi...

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750
    JATZ: Hello again. The AA website is unreachable via Chrome and IE. I Googled their website as well and the provided link failed. I am unsure of their status. fyi dk

Pinging www.aa.co.nz [103.28.251.180] with 32 bytes of data

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 103.28.251.180:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Bike
    F800GS
    The links work fine for me, using my phone. Might be something wrong at your end.
    I had to provide photo copy's of drivers licence, registration papers, a value of the bike (supplied by my local bike shop) and passport. All posted in with the application papers (which they'll email to you.)
    It was a very simple process.
    I'll p.m. you with the guys email so you don't have to muck about with the website.

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750
    Received. Thank you JATZ! I appreciate your time and effort to share the information. Ride safely.

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV: Lighting Upgrades

XRV Fans,

Hello. Since the stock headlights are so weak and the retinas of my aging eyes are receiving much less light than during my younger riding days, I installed the following lighting upgrades. If you are concerned about riding at night with the common hazards of open range/cattle, wildlife/deer, shredded tires/recaps, unsecured firewood from a motorhome or numerous other hazards, I highly recommend considering the following upgrades.

Xetronic AC-Digital G2 HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H4 Type:
    http://www.xtralights.com/xetronicdi...ypesingle.aspx

Baja Design: Squadron, LED Wide-Cornering, Marine White 490005WT
    Our Squadron® Pro packs 4,900 Lumens at 40 watts that will truly annihilate the night
    https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...ring-white.asp

Xenon White Universal Fit Halo Rings Angel Eye LED Projector Ring Bright Version
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xenon-White-...item3a84efc209

In order to optimize the placement of the auxiliary high beam driving lights, Baja Design Squadrons, the OEM turn signals were replaced with LED turn signals and relocated to the lower front area of the XRV below the headlights. In order obtain a narrow profile and a width of the mounted panniers less than the width of the handlebars, the rear turn signals were also replaced with LED lights and relocated near the tail light. Photographs of the fabricated mounts and lighting upgrades are provided below.

I hope you find this information useful.

Take care & ride safely....especially at night!

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lighting Upgrades

Angle Eyes...

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lighting Upgrades

Baja Design Squadron LED Lights

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lilghting Upgrades

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lighting Upgrades

Any 'shade-tree' metal fabricator should be able to fabricate the following mounts:

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lighting Upgrades

Bike
    1990 Honda XRV750

XRV Lighting Upgrades

By the way, the angle eyes are very bright and are convenient to use while setting up a tent at night, without taxing the battery.

Thread Information