Thread: 250cc on Restricted with 3 months to go?

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6

Question 250cc on Restricted with 3 months to go?

I just got my restricted last wednesday (yay ) and have potentially only 3 months before being able to own a bigger bike since I'm over 25 and am looking at doing an advanced skills test so I can do my Full quicker.

Does anyone know when those 'new rules' kick in? The ones prevalent to me right now I guess would be the Learners/Restricted don't need 250s anymore and the over 25s Restricted now have to spend 12 months not 6 months before Full.

Also, we're thinking of getting another 250 before we get our fulls (my husband and I)... we have a Scorpio at the moment and thinking something like a Bandit (?) might be a good intermediate step between the Scorpio and the bigger desired (Full) bike - something about 600 cc. We want to get into open road riding together as soon as possible...

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Would other 250s be different enough from the Scorpio to be an 'intermediate step' or should we just wait the 3 months? Has anyone done this and then regretted it? Glad they did it?

advice appreciated

Bike
    WR250R
    Regarding the new licensing laws: as far as I understand, the new government has put the whole thing on hold, and will review it later, to decide if they continue to go ahead with it or not.
    So, the current licensing laws will be here to stay for a wee while.

Since you've potentially only got 3 months left on your restricted, and you plan to upgrade to something larger once you get your full, I'd stick with the Scorpio. It should manage ok for open road riding. I tour on my sherpa without any trouble (slightly more power than the scorpio, but way less aerodynamic, so it probably evens out).
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    GSXR600 k7, FXR Bucket
    Blog Entries
    Picked up a Scorpio for the wife this weekend and she road from Matamata through the rain and storms all the way up to the North Shore. Proud of her.

I was very impressed on my short test ride. It seamed comfortable at about 90km/h and can easily do 100. I reckon you could get a bigger front sprocket which will give you a higher cruising speed for motorway use.

Its a light bike with enough grunt to get around with. I say keep it then upgrade to something more exciting once you get your full.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by shflbm View Post
    Also, we're thinking of getting another 250 before we get our fulls (my husband and I)... we have a Scorpio at the moment and thinking something like a Bandit (?) might be a good intermediate step between the Scorpio and the bigger desired (Full) bike
    Yeah definitely get a 250 intermediate bike in the meanwhile. The bandit is a good choice, because its a lot more work than the little scorpy - the gears are a lot more busy and you can play with the ample rev-range it has - ideal training for a 600 soon.

If you both want to get into touring mode, then mostly you need to ride, ride, and ride some more - day or night, rain or sunshine, just get out there. The bandit 250 will be a perfectly capable tourer for yourself also.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    2008 Bandit and 2007 ER6
    hrmm, thanks guys. It seems there is a mixed reaction but most people are saying to wait til we get our fulls then get something bigger.

I'm thinking that too... cos then we will be able to test-ride something bigger, and compare it to something like a 250 bandit, and see the difference (especially on the open road...?).

Also, it seems like it might be a bit of a waste of money since we will be excited about getting something bigger once 3 months rolls around, but may not be able to cos we've already spent a bit on another 250.

Also... people say 250s are more expensive, relatively speaking, because they put the prices higher since they know Learners and restricted don't have a choice...?

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    I think physical weight of the bike plays more of a role than the cubic capacity.

I went from the VTR250 to the SV650 (naked - single handbar upright seating position job). The SV650 is about 3 times the torque and twice the power of the VTR, but only 15 kgs heavier. It feels very similar to the VTR handling wise and as long as you have a smooth wrist action on the throttle, no increase in risk.

The problem with all 250s IMHO is you have to "work them" to get them to perform. Bigger twins are great because you have that much in reserve you don't need to be in optimum rev ranges to get you out of trouble. Likewise, open road cruising is just that, whereas on the VTR you always felt like you were pushing the little thing when a headwind gust came along (you could feel the bike slow down) not so much with the SV.

For open road cruising, depending on how heavy hubby is and what gear you want to take on your trips, the little 250 will be pushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by shflbm View Post
    hrmm, thanks guys. It seems there is a mixed reaction but most people are saying to wait til we get our fulls then get something bigger.

I'm thinking that too... cos then we will be able to test-ride something bigger, and compare it to something like a 250 bandit, and see the difference (especially on the open road...?).

Also, it seems like it might be a bit of a waste of money since we will be excited about getting something bigger once 3 months rolls around, but may not be able to cos we've already spent a bit on another 250.

Also... people say 250s are more expensive, relatively speaking, because they put the prices higher since they know Learners and restricted don't have a choice...?
    I agree. 250s are overpriced. Supply and demand. You also have more model choices with newer bikes arguably made to better quality than the modern 250s out there when you step up in CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information