Thread: Bin & insurance claim question

Bike
    hyo comet250

Bin & insurance claim question

Hi,

been riding to working for almost a year now and got my restricted a few months back. I'll open my account on KB with a tale of my first bin last week, not too sure why it happened but it was raining very heavily, and I was braking as traffic was coming to halt up ahead, all of suddenly the front of the bike went down as the front wheel lost traction. Now I wasn't breaking that hard and I thought I was in control, nice and straight and progressive slowing, only thing I can think was that I was in the middle of the lane, being SH1 in rush hour area there could have been oil on the road. Well, once down and stopped I guess you go into a wee bit of shock for a few seconds, got up and checked my self over, nothing that I could feel didn't work. Anyhow, look at the bike and various bits on the road, look behind and both lanes of traffic stopped with engines running a bit like formula 1 race. Also on a flyover with zero places to get the bike off the road...a few more seconds and try to ge the bike up, never really tried that before on the hyo but those bikes are heavy for 250 not much shy of bout 180kg I think. Didn't lift it properly and tweaked my back, bugger. Got it up anyway, tried to start it, all good, quick look over and all the RHS pegs/levers/pedals/indicators/mirrors gone. Looked quite aerodynamic I thought, also givi shield smashed and handlebars bent a bit. The front brake level was only partically broken so I had front brakes. Well, managed to drive a 500m off the flyover and stopped to check it out. Nice bloke stopped to see if I was ok. Made the decision to drive it the other 20km to get it home as still had lights - too it easy on the way home, nowhere to put my right foot. I'm glad I got away without any injuries due to the bin, even though I fell on my hip, knee and hands, absolutely no damage, not even a bruise to me, big thumbs up to the gear, small hole/scuff in the outer pants, scuff on the boots, outer stiching on glove come away.

for me - I'll take away
    >gear was worth the extra dosh
    >need to practice braking a lot more
    >need to be very, very careful in wet, the limits can change from one day/surface to the next
    >need to practice lifting my bike - the right way

I checked out the price of the bits I can see and it's about $400, not including the dent in the tank and slightly bent handlebars.

So rang up the insurance kiwibike and they sent me a form, said the assesor needs to see it and could be a lenghty process, not really what I wanted to hear.

I'm wondering whether it's worth making a claim as I have $250 excess and a no claims from car. Would the claim effect my premium much for the bike I wonder and also whether my car no claims would be effected and I'm keen to get the bike on the road ASAP....

Numpty

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Ooops. Glad you are ok. Do you know about Richard Hyosung? Cheap hyo bits.

http://www.richardhyosunggvgt.com/co...25250650rs.htm

Yeah the stock tyres are horrible in the wet. I dunno if its worth putting $500 worth of michelins on a 250 commuter, but the shinkos are scary-slippery in anything other than dry conditions.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    Most certainly worth better tires, there is some poor bastard sitting on top. Just spent $460 on new tires for my 250...I'm worth it

Bike
    that one in my sig
    No idea on the insurance side but make sure you go to the Dr about your back and get the ACC forms filled out.

If it turns into a long term injury you want it documented so there's no dispute.

Bike
    hyo comet250

Thumbs up churs for the tips

I'll see about getting shot of the shinko and sort my back out

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    I wouldnt claim. cliaming will skyrocket your premiums. I know thats what you pay insurance for but I would save it for a bigger mistake.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    CBR MC19, Project K6 GSXR600
    Bent handle bars dont sound too good... Apparently it's a weak point of the HyoBag's, a friend of mine binned his on Thursay and the handle bar snapped clean off....

I blame my first bin partly on bad tyres, if you can afford it up grade, but there are always other factors in a crash too. Good job on wearing all the gear aswell

Oh and welcome,
    Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul. One wheel moves the filth

Relax Officer Pig, It was just a wheelie

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Coming off whilst slowing in a straight line is prety annoying. That's why I got ABS, which didn't help me with my roundabout bin a few weeks back. Good you are OK. As the damage is superficial, I'd avoid a claim myself. Maybe you should get it checked and an estimate first. If you are going to be riding in the wet then good tyres are going to be your main priority. You will be surprised with how much someone will pay you for your old ones which will make the new ones seem less expensive.

Good luck.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymzw View Post
    Bent handle bars dont sound too good... Apparently it's a weak point of the HyoBag's, a friend of mine binned his on Thursay and the handle bar snapped clean off....
    Yeah they are pretty soft, which is good because they are cheap to replace. It's better to snap off a cheap weak bit, rather than bend something expensive.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    It's better to snap off a cheap weak bit, rather than bend something expensive.
    Try riding home with a handlebar snapped off then.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Try riding home with a handlebar snapped off then.
    yeah, it's same as driving a manual car with no clutch - ya do it when ya have to. Tie ya shoelace onto the throttle cable and hold it in ya teeth if it comes to that.

Steve

Thread Information