Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on practicalities

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Well do you enjoy riding? enough to have to think ahead a bit? then theres no problem.Enjoy the freedom and plan for wet days is all you have to do.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    For about 15 years I've communtered to work by bike. Most of the time, I just take my shoes, slacks and jacket (if I'm wearing one) to work in my backpack, then get changed when I get to work. Sometimes I've left my shoes (and anything else I know I'll be wearing the next day) at my desk.
    It depends to some extent on your gear. My current bike trousers (and last pair) don't allow for wearing slacks underneath, however some cordura gear or overtrousers are baggy enough that you can just slip them on over your work trousers.
    When I used to work in a job where 'business attire' was mandatory, it used to create some mirth among my non-biking colleagues, when I'd arrive at work all dressed in leathers, disappear into the toilet or shower, and emerge as (seemingly) a completely different person.

I have communtered in my work clothes, with helmet, gloves and jacket on. I don't recommend it; I'd rather wear boots than shoes on the bike for gearchanging, putting my feet down, and for protection. Also road spooge and traffic fumes make bike gear pretty grubby, so they don't do dress shoes and slacks any favours. I've also torn the knees out of two pairs of nice slacks when taking a short (<2km) journey into the CBD to have lunch with my wife, and encountered maniacal eejits that caused an Asphalt Encounter.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by MiguelWrang View Post
    Hi everyone,

Im really considering learning to ride but there are a few things holding me back and I'd like to hear if a bike is really practical for me. The main concerns I have are:

If you ride into work how do you manage to wear both your work clothes and the bike gear as well? like I have to wear a suit for work, so is it just a point of putting on the jacket, pants, boots and gloves over it? How does this work in the summer? Or do you guys carry a change of clothes into work?

How do you guys find riding in the rain?

How much safety gear is enough?

Thanks for the help
    I dont usually ride a motorbike to work, I usually ride a pushbike. I am in a job where I wear suit and tie every day. I am also the boss so I get to post on the internet a lot, and make decisions and approve spending.

What I do is have a cheap-ass wardrobe in my office (bought from the red shed IIRC for about $200). All my work stuff (suits, jackets, shoes, shoe cleaning kit, ties blah blah) live in there. Once a week or so (usually at the weekends when out and about) I bring in a week or so's worth of ironed shirts.

That way I can wear "appropriate" clothing coming to work, and at work with minimal hassle.

I deliberately ride slowly into work, and its not far, so I dont get sweaty and need a shower, and riding home it isnt an issue.

As for safety gear: commuting I would go for textile: but you get what you pay for. Look for waterproof, breathable, armoured. Buy the most expensive helmet you can afford BUT IT MUST FIT YOU. and decent gloves and boots. Become a rider who is not an utter novice before sallying forth. Ride with the expectation that every other road user is actively trying to kill you.

Enjoy.......

Oh, and for the type of riding you are contemplating, something like a scooter would be ideal. but do it properly, get a motorbike licence, and get one that is >50cc. I would like a Vespa or something myself.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    sold
    I just throw me leathers on over the top of everyting [dont wear a suit tho].
    Shoes stay at work,need the hair product at work to fix it up on arrival.

Bike
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by marioc View Post
    hair product at work to fix it up on arrival.
    Doh !!! MetroMarioc !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    (or ride in shoes , I am no ATGATT Nazi).
    Yes. I've found, however, that a kickstart and gearchange quickly ruin both (nice dress) shoes. Oil mist spraying out from the rocker pivot shafts and landing on your left shoe can't be good for the leather, either. It certainly doesn't look nice.

You could always buy a Noddy bike?

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    If you ride into work how do you manage to wear both your work clothes and the bike gear as well?
    Make it easy: your bike clothes ARE your work clothes

like I have to wear a suit for work, so is it just a point of putting on the jacket, pants, boots and gloves over it?
    A good wool jacket is actually a practical riding jacket. But for me I'd probably throw a riding jacket over the top. Helmet and gloves are a given, but I would not bother about riding trou.

How does this work in the summer?
    Nice day? I'd ditch the jacket

Or do you guys carry a change of clothes into work?
    Almost never - but I might carry sox and grots on a wet day

How do you guys find riding in the rain?
    Wet

How much safety gear is enough?
    Thats a personal decision! As you can tell I'm not an ATGATT safety nazi, but I would never ride without eye protection & gloves
    =mjc=

Bike
    sold
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfull View Post
    Doh !!! MetroMarioc !

heh yeah well its either that or go round looking like mutant with hair in all directions!

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    heh yeah well its either that or go round looking like mutant with hair in all directions!
    A 'Number Two' or less all over is the non-gay solution to your helmet hair problem
    =mjc=

Bike
    sold
    Yes perhaps you are right,however a number 2 all over rates rather low on the style meter

Bike
    RVF400
    Yes perhaps you are right,however a number 2 all over rates rather low on the style meter
    and he should know, he lives in Wellington...

Bike
    My advice, take a plastic bag or something to cover your seat if it rains, or get some wet weather gear.

You don't want to get a case of athlete's arsehole from regularly getting onto a wet motorcycle seat and then spending the rest of the day in damp undies.

Trying to itch one's entire lower bowel through one's jeans with one leg up in the air in public is never a good look.

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    Bikes are completely impractical. But heaps of fun.

If you're seriously concerned about practicality get a Corolla.
    Ah, I see you're in Chch.

In the rotten old land of Orc, the impracticalities of a bike are FAR outweighed by the advantages.

Quite a time saving at peak time on my 25km commute, and paying $4 per hour if you have to park in town (or getting tickets) is a royal PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    none
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bike
    Blackbird with a million k's on it
    Draggin jeans and a business shirt suffice where I work, so it's no problem commuting on the bike. I leave my work shoes under my desk and change out of my boots when I get there. Hang up my jacket on the nail in the end of my desk and the helmet just sits by my screen.

I commute every day rain or shine. Even commuted on a bike in the snow in the UK - that sucked big time but, like Str8 said, when you haven't got a car there's no choice

Commuting on the bike is well worth it. You get to stay in bed 5 minutes longer, and you get to go for a hoon EVERY MORNING!
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco
    It's like a bunch of guys talking calmly, sharing advice, all utopian like, and then BAM, drunken hobo slams his jug on the table and tells everyone they need to start punching each other.
    Interesting.

Thread Information