Page 530 of 534 FirstFirst ... 30430480520528529530531532 ... LastLast
Results 7,936 to 7,950 of 7996

Thread: Laxed out rides

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600

Ohautira Road and the perils thereof...

Decided to duck through Ohautira Road today (runs between the Hamilton Raglan highway and the road through Waingaro. It's actually the southern end of SH22). I've ridden it more times than I can remember so am aware of the fact that there are a few things to watch for. F'rinstance...

There used to be a patch of gravel at the top of the small rise over the hills. This is all sealed now. But there are "seal repairs" in that stretch at present. And in keeping with all "seal repairs" that I have come across this summer, the loose blue chip has been left to its own devices. And for the entertainment of motor cyclists, it presents a ball bearing surface to navigate. Very thoughtful of the road fixers I reckon...thanks guys.

There are a couple of signs along this stretch of road warning about "roaming stock". Not to be taken lightly. Today it was two groups of braindead sheep. Long tailed sheep that have probably been feral for several decades by now. And as usual, there is a suicidal maniac in each group - the sheep that spins around and runs in the opposite direction to the rest of the mob. Usually straight into the path of any handy motorbikes... If I thought I could have got it home, it might have filled the larder for several weeks. Chance missed right there.

In keeping with brain dead sheep, there are also many braindead pukeko around as well. Same as the sheep, one of them turns away from the flock then tries to commit suicide by motorbike. I nearly got him but missed. Bugger.

There is a tendency out that way for locals to use the whole road. At all times. Both lanes where possible and the wrong lane most often. For some unknown reason, I didn't see a single example of this today. Could it be that the locals are losing their touch? How sad. I miss the burst of adrenaline. Road gets boring without meeting an SUV head on on your side of the road.

Other than that, it was a very pleasant ride.

Have fun all.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    It's certainly an interesting ride. I haven't seen any wandering stock, but the locals use it as an extension of their farms!

I don't know what the problem is with the patches that they've just repaired, but they seemed to be breaking up when I was down there a couple of months ago.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Old Taupo rd is in great shape at the moment but there does seem to be more traffic on it than what I remember
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    Old Taupo rd is in great shape at the moment but there does seem to be more traffic on it than what I remember
    I reckon there's more traffic too. Better go early one morning...and then maybe down and over the dam at Whakamaru, and then...erm. never mind.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Waikato: The perpetual potholes still exist between Waharoa and Matamata mostly North to South on the LHS of the lane for those wanting some extra adventure riding.

Meanwhile the surrounding countryside is great.

Piopio: Don't know if the Concrete Shot Spraying and cliff retention works are still being carried out south of Piopio. These road workers are great, they are considerate and don't need 500 auxiliary flashy light vehicles before and after their workplace. Had to laugh at the green signs when starting off through the road works, the sign was SLOW to pass through. At the end of the works the sign was GO.

There were quite a few places where very small slips had occurred, but a lot of places which looked like they will slide in the near future once the winter sets in and ice heave takes place.

Waikato - still a great place for Laxed Out rides

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Waikato: The perpetual potholes still exist between Waharoa and Matamata mostly North to South on the LHS of the lane for those wanting some extra adventure riding.

Meanwhile the surrounding countryside is great.

Piopio: Don't know if the Concrete Shot Spraying and cliff retention works are still being carried out south of Piopio. These road workers are great, they are considerate and don't need 500 auxiliary flashy light vehicles before and after their workplace. Had to laugh at the green signs when starting off through the road works, the sign was SLOW to pass through. At the end of the works the sign was GO.

There were quite a few places where very small slips had occurred, but a lot of places which looked like they will slide in the near future once the winter sets in and ice heave takes place.

Waikato - still a great place for Laxed Out rides
    Next time you're down that way, carry on past Piopio and experience the Awakino Gorge, you wont be disappointed. Better during the summer months.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflebutter View Post
    Next time you're down that way, carry on past Piopio and experience the Awakino Gorge, you wont be disappointed. Better during the summer months.
    Damn right!

I found a new road hazard this morning. As I left Te Tron heading west, there was a cardboard banana box sitting in the middle of my lane. No big deal huh? Except that it was in deep shadow and I only just spotted it in time. Moved over but still toed it with the boot. Felt quite heavy on the boot - maybe it was full of bananas? Or something else...anyhoo, was glad I hadn't ridden right into it. Never met one of those on the road before.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Damn right!

I found a new road hazard this morning. As I left Te Tron heading west, there was a cardboard banana box sitting in the middle of my lane. No big deal huh? Except that it was in deep shadow and I only just spotted it in time. Moved over but still toed it with the boot. Felt quite heavy on the boot - maybe it was full of bananas? Or something else...anyhoo, was glad I hadn't ridden right into it. Never met one of those on the road before.

Ya should have checked it out, maybe could have scored something.

I had a similar instance with a big hawk happily eating in the middle of my lane. I stopped and moved the road kill for the stupid thing, not the first time either.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
    Ya should have checked it out, maybe could have scored something.

I had a similar instance with a big hawk happily eating in the middle of my lane. I stopped and moved the road kill for the stupid thing, not the first time either.
    Couldn't be bothered stopping...lazy.

Bike
    2004ZX6R
    I went to work on Friday night , Heading out from home I go past the Laughing Peacock Cafe, I was taking a left corner , so bike leaning over and I get a glimpse of something as 4 big ass peahens raced out onto the road too my right at a rapid rate of knots with nowhere to go but into me, they hit my boots pretty hard, knocked my foot off peg, went to put foot back on peg and it's been smashed off, turn back around and three of them dead scattered on road
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	592.2 KB 
ID:	330286  

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    I went to work on Friday night , Heading out from home I go past the Laughing Peacock Cafe, I was taking a left corner , so bike leaning over and I get a glimpse of something as 4 big ass peahens raced out onto the road too my right at a rapid rate of knots with nowhere to go but into me, they hit my boots pretty hard, knocked my foot off peg, went to put foot back on peg and it's been smashed off, turn back around and three of them dead scattered on road

Poor 'bike. Peahen for dinner? I encountered a pheasant on that road last year, but thankfully, no strike.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by WNJ View Post
    Well thats about 2 weeks before they drop off thier necks and are ready to eat, then it's 3 nights of glorious pheasant meals.
    Glad you did it all the right way and ended up still on 2 wheels. Had a Turkey go between my front wheel and the rear wheel on the Nike rd once, close as I want to come to being cassina'd by a fucking dog.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Newbie keen for low-key rides. Based just south of Hamilton on weekends. Up in the big smoke during the work week, but have left the bike at home until I feel like braving Auckland traffic.

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    I'm in Whatawhata, work from home, so keen for week day or weekend rides at a gentleman's pace if anyone is interested.

Bike
    Fatbob
    Was thinking of starting up the wednesday night ride again in September. Warren ?

Thread Information