Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The new TradeMe alternative

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    large image popout requires scrolling to see the whole pic, rather irritating.

Look at torpedo7.co.nz for a nice large image design.

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    i know what that says.

i had it happen to me

translation

No homo's allowed!
    If a homo reckons you are a homo then- are you a homo?
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    currently bikeless, former katana owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    Just a friendly advice mate:
    - Your navigation is hard to use, especially with being so far to the left on widescreen format monitors (yes it is quite common nowadays). TradeMe's navigation is simple and effective being in the middle of the screen with relatively large font. Not saying you should copy it but they indeed have the main idea right. Ebay navigation sucks.
    - Do press release to major news website (herald, scoop, stuff). Short one will do, but make sure to tell them your web address and why it is different from the other 271,882 trading websites. Wait....forget Stuff (they own TradeMe).
    Hey Marmoot, thanks for your comments. Regarding wide screen monitors, that's one of those tricky situations where we cant cater for everybodies monitors. No doubt one day soon enough they will be the standard format and we will rectify that. As far as navigation goes, well we only went live on May 9th, so the site is still a work in progress, we will do our best to fine tune it to what the majority of people want. Needless to say, we won't be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time, but we'll do our best. Regarding promotion, we're on a limited budget, but we're confident that our favorable rates will do well for us and as a result, word of mouth will help us go far.

All comments and suggestions are taken on board so please keep them coming.

Antony

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    abit of feedback after a quick squiz...

can you use more drop down boxes to choose categories instead of having to navigate through so many layers of choices?

Eg. when I click on cars, immediately show all "car" listings, and then have drop down boxes to refine the search by brand, type etc.

Just my 2c... useability is key!
    Hey Bend-it
    that's definitely on the hit list of things to change. Please feel free to critique the site further, it's all appreciated.

And thanks to everyone else for your positive encouraging comments. It's greatly appreciated. Naturally there's also skeptics out there too, but hey, that's cool. We're under no illusion that we have a big mountain to climb, but we're not shy to give it our all and show that aussie owned company that we'll rise up to the challenge!

Go the mighty Kiwi!

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by the hearse man View Post
    Regarding promotion, we're on a limited budget
    Exactly why you should do small press release. It's 100% free and definitely gets attention (if they go through the editors' eyes).

An example of press release (by Interest.co.nz)
    The worst that can happen is they don't get published and you loose 10 minutes of your life.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    I haven't looked at your site yet, but good on ya and all the best.

Might be worth contacting some job agencies, real etate agencies (they'll go ga ga for the idea of video), car dealers, salvage yards, manufacturers etc... perhaps just do a paper based flyer to your local ones and see where it goes from there...
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bend-it View Post
    I think before this, you need to get people (or online shops) putting up lots of items for sale... otherwise joe public logs on once, sees there's not much on and doesn't come back...
    yep, thats the reason i dont bother with zillion anymore... they never had anything interesting, and if they did, it was always brand new stuff. not good for someone who loves second hand stuff.

otherwise, site looks good. be nice to have some competition for tardme... their fees are beyond a joke!
    i suggest you spend some time on both tardme general, and category suggestions. that way, you get to see exactly what changes people want tardme to do [mostly a wanted section] and can then "cater" to peoples tastes.

best of luck!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Just some stuff that I would have done... don't shoot, it's just what i'd do...

I'd make your logo a lot smaller as you're losing page real estate.

Auction of the day, hottest listings and recently listed change on a page refresh, it should be Auction of the second etc... What i would do in this case is have a horizontal marquee style of X Auctions of the Day and X items in vertical marquees for Hottest listings and latest listings.

I'd remove the Featured Items section and just replace it with a listing.

I'd remove the register icon from above Auction of the day.

I'd change some of the page layout and stylings, but that's your preference.

When using the menu on the left, i would expect to see listings in the centre and have the categories and sub-categories appear in a menu on the left, where the original menu was (just for navigation consistency).

Perhaps add a breadcrumb to navigate back up through the navigation structure.

I'd Remove the Buy tab as it's slow and might eventually slow things down even further when you're database loads up.

I'd get rid of the Show button on the buy page as it's not obvious, better off reloading the page when you change selection in the drop down.

I'd remove the red background icons from underneath the logo and move them to the right of your logo, but consolidate those that require an account into a My Account tab.

If you want red background icons underneath the logo, use them for quirky searches i.e. items with the highest hit rate, items that have had a price reduction, items that are under half price in comparison to the retail value, i dunno, but ya get the idea.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cave weta View Post
    Looks good - but it wont let me join!

gives me this as a reason!?

Warning: checkdate() expects parameter 3 to be long, string given in /home/dealing/public_html/classes/Core/Validation/Validation1.php on line 183

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/dealing/public_html/classes/Core/Validation/Validation1.php:183) in /home/dealing/public_html/classes/Lib/Validation/Handler.php on line 221
    That's odd! what browser are you using?

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by the hearse man View Post
    That's odd! what browser are you using?
    Im now a member! it likes me!

How do you put something on your watchlist?
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    don't shoot, it's just what i'd do...
    You criticise people for a living?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmoot View Post
    You criticise people for a living?
    am a mild mannered janitor here. I've been building sites for the last 12 years and it's just what I would have done is all...

Bike
    Im now a member! it likes me!

How do you put something on your watchlist?
    You should see "watch this item" link within the auction directly under "quantity".
    You do have to be logged in for the "watch this item" option to appear.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    If a homo reckons you are a homo then- are you a homo?
    depends on the homo

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    am a mild mannered janitor here. I've been building sites for the last 12 years and it's just what I would have done is all...
    Ahahahahah you'll hate me then.

I get paid to criticize the works of people like you.

Thread Information