Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird

Bike
    None any more

2010 Triumph Thunderbird

"Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    15th Anniversary Speedtriple
    Big, heavy, bugger all HP to weight ratio and speedo on the tank which means you need to take your eyes off the road to see it. Radiator is ugly. It's basically a Rocket with a cylinder chopped off. Not Triumphs best work!

Bike
    1979 Yamaha 750 Special
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounce001 View Post
    Big, heavy, bugger all HP to weight ratio and speedo on the tank which means you need to take your eyes off the road to see it. Radiator is ugly. It's basically a Rocket with a cylinder chopped off. Not Triumphs best work!
    Have you ridden one?

Bike
    Waiting for them to come into the country. Just traded "slugmaster" and after talking to guys at dealer, decided to go for the speed triple as would still have same trouble (e.g. no power, too much much weight etc). Will take one for a ride when they get here out of interest.
    Speeding Safely!

Bike
    Sold
    "Not Triumphs best work!" Really?

I don't know about that, I have been waiting for this to appear because I am shrinking fast and need a lower bike!

There is also that touch of "nostalgia" driving the curiosity along.

Does it have a belt drive? I didn't notice that!

Could be a problem, even if we minimise our gravel riding, it is still more than most Cruisers ride in a lifetime!

Thanks for the thread Hitcher.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I've decided to reserve my judgement (I know - that makes me not worthy of KB).

I do however look forward to hearing one ride past my house with after-market pipes

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    "Triumph is fortunate that its rich history allows it to design bikes without looking to outside influences."

What?

Waddaya call having belt drive, an instrument nacelle on the tank, and the ignition key on the side of the bike? I'm sure that's been done before....
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    As far as I know they are shaft drive (same as the rocket). The slugmaster handled well on the gravel so I guess these should as well. Will definitely need after market pipes to get some sort of noise out of it!
    Speeding Safely!

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    I don't know about that, I have been waiting for this to appear because I am shrinking fast and need a lower bike!
    Me too John . There may come a time when I look for a cruiser and this is a refreshing alternative to the legion of lookalike V twins. Mind you, I grew up on Triumph parallel twins so I'm not exactly unbiased.

FWIW, I think it's bloody gorgeous (and the Rocket 3 is bloody ugly).

Bike
    Scorpio
    That's definitely not my sort of bike, but as an exercise in bringing the Triumph retro parallel-twin thing to the big-bore cruiser, it looks absolutely brilliant. It pushes all the nostalgic buttons in a functional (in a big-bore cruiser sort of way) package.

Hmm, perhaps Honda could do something similar with reference with the original CB750? Or perhaps something harking back to the Suzuki waterbottle? Or the Kwaka H2? Keep the engine configuration and appearance the same, double or triple the capacity, move the riding position lower and backwards. Now those would be interesting.

Bike
    Various things
    As far as I know they are shaft drive (same as the rocket). The slugmaster handled well on the gravel so I guess these should as well. Will definitely need after market pipes to get some sort of noise out of it!
    Nah it's belt driven.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Me too John . There may come a time when I look for a cruiser and this is a refreshing alternative to the legion of lookalike V twins. Mind you, I grew up on Triumph parallel twins so I'm not exactly unbiased.

FWIW, I think it's bloody gorgeous (and the Rocket 3 is bloody ugly).
    Yes Rocket is ugly too! The Thunderbird has lost the classic Triumph lines that the America and Slugmaster have. It looks like any other generic cruiser on the market.
    Speeding Safely!

Bike
    None any more
    I reckon these look pretty darned cool. I will be interested to see how the inline twin performs compared to similar sized cruiser Vs.

A 22 litre tank is a great idea. I also suspect that the mph/kph speedo may well be just for the North American market. Like most bikes, it takes a brief period of time to figure out where data you need can be found.

At least Triumph doesn't appear to have skimped on suspenders and brakes, but the proof will be in the riding.

Bring on the demos!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    All of them

Speaking as a professional Triumph enthusiast and with all due respect:

Having followed it from the outset, spoken to some of the engineers, I expect it to be some of their most endearing work yet. Will be on my list of possible next bikes. Like the looks of it and the Rocket.

Bike
    Guzzi
    The Rocket was a bike that totaly new from Trump and as such could break the mold a bit.

I've no doubt this Thunderbird will get it's admirers but I just can not get my head around a Thunderbird with a radiator. Sports bikes with performance yes.

Cruisers.................??????

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Thread Information