Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Starting problems

Bike
    04 Suzuki GSX250 "Zoe"
    I'd pull out the starter anyway, it's possible you've got two problems. The original fault you described does sound like the starter. What's it going to hurt by pulling it out & checking those brushes?

I had a starter motor that would "whirr" when the button was pushed, but not engage the flywheel properly. The solenoid was on it's way out, and once again, it was a fault that was more promenant when the starter was hot.
    I figure car drivers must be Apes. All they do is sit in cages all day & grunt

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    I'd pull out the starter anyway, it's possible you've got two problems. The original fault you described does sound like the starter. What's it going to hurt by pulling it out & checking those brushes? I had a starter motor that would "whirr" when the button was pushed, but not engage the flywheel properly. The solenoid was on it's way out, and once again, it was a fault that was more promenant when the starter was hot.
    Yeah I know that fault - where the starter spins freely but doesn't engage.. This engages and then stalls.. "whirr..........nuthin"

After leaving the charger on it it starts 100% every time now, and looking at the stator I'm persuaded I have found the immediate fault. I'll get a quote to get it rewound and also a second-hand one. Might even look at getting some wire and rewinding it myself.

Anyone like to comment on the stator continuity-fault-to-ground ? It should be isolated from ground shouldn't it ?

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    FactoryPro EC997a
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Yeah I know that fault - where the starter spins freely but doesn't engage.. This engages and then stalls.. "whirr..........nuthin"

After leaving the charger on it it starts 100% every time now, and looking at the stator I'm persuaded I have found the immediate fault. I'll get a quote to get it rewound and also a second-hand one. Might even look at getting some wire and rewinding it myself.

Anyone like to comment on the stator continuity-fault-to-ground ? It should be isolated from ground shouldn't it ?

Steve
    stator is fukarude
    coils/phases should be isolated from the frame/ground
    Ken Cairns Electrical in Hamilton if you get stuck for a rewind.

cheers

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleZee Dyno View Post
    stator is fukarude
    coils/phases should be isolated from the frame/ground
    Ken Cairns Electrical in Hamilton if you get stuck for a rewind.

cheers
    Awesome, thank you mate. Thats a cheap repair. Theres a crowd over here that does rewinds too "GT rewinds", I'll get a price from both - tempted to have a go at it myself too. Anyone know where to get magnet wire from to rewind this?

Unfortunately, it looks like the rect/reg has sucked the kumara also. I wonder if one went first and took the other with it.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Okies I baked the stator in the oven today, and tried to yank the windings off it. Hrm, not very successful, so I took it to my mate with the lathe and he is gunna nick all the windings so I can just peel them off. Looks like theres 30 turns on each tooth.

I found some wire locally, so I go to pick that up tomorrow, and get the stator back, then all I need is some epoxy and I am ready to rewind. Hopefully all ready for the weekend.

Steve

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    My mate with the lathe chickened out - "it might come out of the chuck and munt itself."

Sooo I take to the bastard with the sidecutters and long nose pliers and rip shit out of it. AN hour later - all wire gone.. I quick buff up with the file and shez ready to rewind.

Before I ripped all the windings off, I sat it down on the table and made a diagram. It's pretty straight forward, but its definitly something you should do before you cut it up, or else you are in the dark.

Tomorrow we rewind!!

Steve

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R

Saved by nomex tape!

Big success today. I rang around and drew a blank on a local supply of rewinding wire, until I found Whakatane Electrical Contractors. Steve (owner) turns out to be a biker (GSXR thou, DRZ-400M) and a trackday junkie, hehe. Good shit!

So Steve and Adrian get me all set up, and point me at a bench and vise and tell me to go for it - legends! They were grateful to help, and I was grateful for it too! These guys were curious to watch work though, FAAAAAAR more thorough and meticulous than what I could ever be.. by a wiiiiide margin, If you want any electrical motor rebuilds done, DEFINITELY take it to these guys, and by the size of the machinery they had in there, no job would be too large.

The stator had to tidied up with the file to remove any nasty shitty bits first. The old shellac is as hard as glass, you can't use your hands on it, unless you want splinters from hell. So I filed all the old shellac smooth.

So I rewind the fucker, and slap it on the insulation test meter, phase 1 - pass! phase 2, pass! phase 3 FAIL! WTF? Fault to chassis. Gak-gak, gak gak-gak-gak!!!

I go home and start pulling windings off until I the fault vanishes. After only three windings undone the fault is gone, so I slather that pole with a strip of nomex tape given to me by the lads from WEC and re-rewind it and re-test. Pass, pass, pass! whew!

Now it just needs a coat of shellac and a bake'n in the oven and we're good to go! Tomorrow.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3473.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	130393  

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I thought about painting the stator with epoxy and heating it in the oven. I don't like it. If that epoxy softens in the hot engine oil, it will pump glue all through the engine. So back to town I go, and the Adrian dips it in the shellac tank and boofs it in the oven for a bake'n. Turns out he has been rewinding motors for 20+ years. I pickup new gasket for the cover from undies - they get one overnight! Bewdy.

Tomorrow I'll boof it back together.

Steve

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I thought about painting the stator with epoxy and heating it in the oven. I don't like it. If that epoxy softens in the hot engine oil, it will pump glue all through the engine. So back to town I go, and the Adrian dips it in the shellac tank and boofs it in the oven for a bake'n. Turns out he has been rewinding motors for 20+ years. I pickup new gasket for the cover from undies - they get one overnight! Bewdy.

Tomorrow I'll boof it back together.

Steve
    There's waay too much 'boofing' going on here....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    '92 Kawasaki ZXR250C
    Have you at any stage of this saga regretted buying a Hyosung?
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death" - Hunter S. Thompson

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by NDORFN View Post
    Have you at any stage of this saga regretted buying a Hyosung?
    The only time I thought better of it, was after all the abuse I received in this forum regarding it. Other than that, I really enjoy them. If I had 13-20k to just flick on a bike, perhaps I'd have a nicer one. But I don't.

Steve

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R

Hyosung GT650R stator rewind

Ok I got me a can of Gasket Remover from Repco. There is a big red warning on the tin about how quickly it removes paint. They are NOT JOKING AROUND when they use the word "instant." Be careful with this shit. Anyway, it took the gasket off like it was never there. Good stuff.

Cleaned up, terminals soldered up, wrapped with high-temp tape, clamped back into place, all ready to be bolted down. Hehe..

Summary;

It sounds like an easy job, but its really time consuming - I spent days and days running around trying to sort it. I'm glad to have done it myself, because I'm like that, and because I'm cheap (read - broke.)

It wasn't expensive - I think the tin of gasket remover cost more than the copper wire. It has to be dunked in shellac and then oven-baked. You could use your home oven. You need a roll of Nomex Tape.

If you have to rewind your stator, I would say go for it. If you do, and you get stuck, post here or PM me.

Steve

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    The only time I thought better of it, was after all the abuse I received in this forum regarding it.

Steve
    Huh, wait until you get a Harley......
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Thats what I was thinking, but it starts perfectly well if left for an hour, and the battery is not even a year old, and it has done this once before (I thought it was just a flat battery then.) The battery terminal voltage DOES drop to 4V on cranking - a death knell for the battery for sure. Tomorrow I will swap the battery with a known-good one (going out for dinner tonight)

Steve
    Sounds like a BESCO battery.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    Sounds like a BESCO battery.
    hehe, naw it was a near-new Yuasa. It was just flat.

Steve

Thread Information