Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Passing when group riding - important especially for newbies

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    LOL nah you got me all wrong. I'm "know it all cunt". Prove me wrong - I invite you.

How, precisely and exactly, will I interfere with you on the road, while you are in the opposing lane, when I state I don't enter that lane - even while overtaking? Hrm?

Now we will see who is all talk. Put brain in gear before mouth, mate.

Steve
    Ironic: Fail
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    There are far too many words in this thread.

Riders should ride their own ride in the group. Where possible leave room for other riders, but they shouldn't assume anyone will make space for them.

Everyone should know where they are going before they head out for a ride, so they don't have to do stupid shit to stay with the rider in front.

If in doubt don't do it.

Just my 2c
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2008 R6
    In fear of throwing this thread even further into the gutter, let me just to address a small point.

Topic of knowing where the group is going:
    Yes the group needs to know where they are going. However, here and I assumed there (and I'm getting to thinking I assumed incorrectly) too, on certain rides it is IMPOSSIBLE for the other riders in the group to know the entire route. Here we often have to ride 1+ hours on a combination of various highways and surface roads to get to a section where it becomes easy to wait up for people. We have about 6 million people within a 45 minute radius... and sorry... explaining the route and having the other riders memorize it precisely would be a very difficult thing to do. Plus there are times when some riders simply don't know a particular area we are riding to. Plus because of our often crap traffic, we have to change route mid ride. You need a group that is together. Doing this in a safe manner is tough. That's just the process we need to do to get to the fun part..... once there, meeting up at the next turn off is easy. There is no need for stupidity or recklessness anywhere along the way.

Anyway, just wanted to try to clarify that bit.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    There are far too many words in this thread.
    There'd be far fewer, if a certain someone would desist in trying to impress us with his god-like skillz...
    The funny thing is, he is in no position to advise on strategies for group riding...who here would ride with him, for him to know what to do?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    There'd be far fewer, if a certain someone would desist in trying to impress us with his god-like skillz...
    The funny thing is, he is in no position to advise on strategies for group riding...who here would ride with him, for him to know what to do?
    More like, if thread contributors would stay on topic and dispense with the veiled insults, social ladder climbing, put downs, and general family violence.

What have you added? Well thought-out ideas? Considered opinions? No?

It is easy to shoot your mouth off, or irrationally pick fault and belittle people, but that makes you part of the problem and not part of the solution. If you do that, I'll point it out - sorry if that stings.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    It's about facilitating.
    Perhaps that wasn't clear in your first post, but I got it and agree.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Steve (Post 65)
    Valid criticism is a useful contribution. As are viable alternative suggestions or advice.
    Downright dangerous 'advice' (ride down the centreline all day) just illustrates why you are the recipient of so much criticism. It takes a thousand words to counteract and disprove a couple of dozen of yours. Contrary to what seems to be your opinion, most members here do not want to see newbies trying out the shit you spout.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    A few
    Steve (Post 65)
    Valid criticism is a useful contribution. As are viable alternative suggestions or advice.
    Downright dangerous 'advice' (ride down the centreline all day) just illustrates why you are the recipient of so much criticism. It takes a thousand words to counteract and disprove a couple of dozen of yours. Contrary to what seems to be your opinion, most members here do not want to see newbies trying out the shit you spout.
    Here here !!!
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    It's an easy situation to cock up. Even with two riders my husband had to ask me not to throttle off immediately after pulling back in (from a passing lane which was running out). I could see him following me on the pass but failed to take into account that he would need to fit in behind me. Both of us learnt from it.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Steve (Post 65)
    I invite valid criticism, even if I don't consider it to be valid. Contribute, discuss, observe, offer your opinion.

The "ride down the centreline all day" comment is much like "travel everywhere at 110km/hr all day". On the face of it, and taken in context, it's perfectly doable, except for those who believe it is not. But it's going to invite the nitpickers to scream the place down, as when taken literally it would be completely infeasible - well in excess of being dangerous, it's just not possible.

The important thing to remember about the internet, is readers DO have a brain, and if the nitpickers think that their derisive comments hold any water with said readers, then hey post their abusive tirade and let it be on record. It isn't my fucking character on display. Bring it on - be a part of the abusive side of KB... whee!

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    I invite valid criticism, even if I don't consider it to be valid. Contribute, discuss, observe, offer your opinion.

The "ride down the centreline all day" comment is much like "travel everywhere at 110km/hr all day". On the face of it, and taken in context, it's perfectly doable, except for those who believe it is not. But it's going to invite the nitpickers to scream the place down, as when taken literally it would be completely infeasible - well in excess of being dangerous, it's just not possible.

The important thing to remember about the internet, is readers DO have a brain, and if the nitpickers think that their derisive comments hold any water with said readers, then hey post their abusive tirade and let it be on record. It isn't my fucking character on display. Bring it on - be a part of the abusive side of KB... whee!

Steve
    Dealing with you on matters of safe, practical riding strategies is like arguing with an idiot....
    A waste of time and energy
    Takes no real ability
    And the idiot will never know (or accept) that he lost the argument

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Passing in between two lanes of traffic, takes you about 1.5 meters from the cars.
    Assumption FAIL.

Provided you do not do this with a very high speed differential, you can idle along the centerline and nip in between any car at any time. Obviously, if an oncoming car moves up the centreline, then you withdraw.
    What if this oncoming car suddenly appears around a bend? Or are you now going to qualify your advice that it should only happen on straights now?

And even on a straight - where do you propose to withdraw to?And how? By hammering on brakes, hoping like hell you have enough time to pull in, and that there is not a car too close behind travelling in the sme direction as you?

Consider also, in heavy traffic on a two-lane, two-way road, the cars are physically unable to pass - it is really unlikely that any car can or will pull out in front of you.
    Thats not to say they wont approach the centre line for a look see, or to turn off, or whatever? all of a sudden your 1.5 m is looking closer to 30 cm with a speed differential of 200km/hr!

This is not the case if there is no opposing traffic, where cars you propose to overtake can and will randomly pull out on you.
    And are much more likely to do so if they have looked in their rear view mirrors and NOT seen you in it because you are sitting on the centre line to the side of them...

The biggest danger in this case, are bikers coming the other way who are thinking the same - never execute a sudden swerve onto the centreline.
    So the biggest danger in this scenario is YOU heading the opposite way...? Makes you think doesn't it?

If you don't feel confident lane sharing in these circumstances, as with all things biking - don't do it.
    The fact that a person can feel confident doing an action is no indication of that actions inherent hazardous nature. I am sure quite a few Crusty Demons feel confident popping backwards loops on their bikes five floors up. That doens't make it safe.

And when it is a hazardous action, that teh person feels confident is simply an indication of that persons capabilities, or ignorance. The thing about this situation is that it is not made safer by a better rider.
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by R Sole View Post
    Makes you think doesn't it?
    Who is this 'you' of which you speak?

Bike
    Blade '12
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby.

This is definitely one of them.

I'd like to thank the usual suspects and some fresh faces for reminding me once again to pick my riding buddies carefully

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    [/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by R Sole View Post

So the biggest danger in this scenario is DB heading the opposite way...? Makes you think doesn't it?
    OK so this is what I actually meant,...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Thread Information