Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ticketing of Bikes - Footpath and Wof/Rego tickets

Bike
    Hornet
    Give in to the system man. Just park on Symonds st in the designated spots like 99% of the other bikers do.

Bike
    Too many to count
    but that means hunting out a space, then not getting hit by a bus, and then hoping my bike is still there when i return. i know it's been stolen once already (probably by the guy we bought it off), and don't feel like buying another key/ignition thing for $500 (and for those theifs who brought a philips instead of flathead screwdriver, it definetly isn't hard to hotwire)

maybe if i park in the bicycle cage the wardens won't be able to get in to ticket my bike

Bike
    -
    Those uni warnings aren't from wardens, they're from the Unisafe university security chaps. Higher orders from uni folks, not the fags-with-ticket-printers, cunts-in-blue-caps Auckland Council arseclowns.

Bike
    Too many to count
    yes i realise that

Bike
    Kawa ZXR250 Yamaha R1
    In the end of the day people are trying to turn things to their advantage, even though most people dont mind (however somebody obviously does). If everybody went around doing things that pleased them, then we would have carnage.

Auckland uni can do what they like on their property, and auckland city can enforce their laws in their jurisdiction. If they get it wrong, write in and tell them, they will have to correct their mistakes.

Most bikers dont seem to have this problem when they park properly on symonds street...i wonder why that is.
    I understand some people worry about bikes getting stolen or getting hit by a bus. But i havent seen or heard (havent been listening for) of anyone getting hit on symonds street trying to get into parks. And you really cant stop bike theft of they want it THAT badly.
    Rant over.

Bike
    -
    We've been through the Symonds St issues before. I'll restate it again.

First of all, theft is out of the equation. You're quite right. Public parking has no responsibility to protect your bike from theft, I'm sorry.

However Symonds St is bad. It's dangerous -- you may not have heard of anybody being hit, but I tell you now, it is only a matter of time before some guy gets squashed backing into a park, or turning right up towards Newton. Compared to Alfred St or Princes St it is stupid.

But most importantly there's the problem of capacity. Since Alfred St was closed, we have substantially less parking. Extra parks on Symonds St were opened, but they have not even come close to covering what was lost, and as summer rolls out and people get back onto their bikes, there's going to be a massive crisis in terms of parking availability. Already in winter we had many times where Symonds St was at capacity.

Bike
    Too many to count
    just cause no-one has been hit yet doesn't mean it wont happen

and having to write in for tickets i shouldn't have is time consuming and frustrating

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickler View Post
    In the end of the day people are trying to turn things to their advantage, even though most people dont mind (however somebody obviously does). If everybody went around doing things that pleased them, then we would have carnage.

Auckland uni can do what they like on their property, and auckland city can enforce their laws in their jurisdiction. If they get it wrong, write in and tell them, they will have to correct their mistakes.

Most bikers dont seem to have this problem when they park properly on symonds street...i wonder why that is.
    I understand some people worry about bikes getting stolen or getting hit by a bus. But i havent seen or heard (havent been listening for) of anyone getting hit on symonds street trying to get into parks. And you really cant stop bike theft of they want it THAT badly.
    Rant over.
    For a rant very little was stated asides from the obvious, with the first part a comment on human nature? But here is a little on most of the things said (most of which relate to parking inside the campus)

Yes it is a luxury to be able to park off the road, and we would like to ensure that this luxury is available for not just ourselves but those to come.
    If it is a resolvable conflict then why not try to do just that?

I must say though, to counter your second point, that as the students which provide the backbone on which the university functions, one might step as far as to say that the university is in fact, student's property, and that, with reference to parking undercover, as long as no other students/staff are inconvenienced by us parking there we be left to do so. This is as opposed to being "kicked out" of otherwise usable but unused space just "because they can" which is seemingly the case on many of these "warning notices".

With regards to point three, I find parking on symonds st to be fine, and will do so if i am approaching from the harbour side or along symonds st, not on my tl as i prefer not to ride it to uni. In doing so I have in the last year had several close encounters with cars and buses, particularly at the harbour end of the bike parking where sudden lane changes are made, cutting very close to the parking, in order to avoid those stopped for the right hand turn, with capacity at full bikes with larger turning radius' are forced into the lanes of these drivers, in an attempt to squeeze into what is on a sunny day, insufficient parking to meet the demands placed on it. The only possible way i can see of avoiding such difficulty (if you own one of these bikes) involves riding the length of the parks on the busy footpath.
    You have not seen anyone being knocked off just as you probably havent seen anyone stealing bikes, but both do happen.

The lack of security on symonds has become more apparent with the thefts this year and the the targets of the theft being larger sports bikes.
    So i agree again that while if they want it bad enough they will probably get it, if they do not know it exists then how will they take it? Is this not why we gargre our bikes? park out of sight or easy access?

The footpath parking debate is one that is being taken to the council (see other thread) via bronz, the change in attitude of parking officials is something that, i for one, want to know the basis for (especially for such offenses as the $12 one)

Bike
    '08 DR650
    In the time it took me to write that post both of you posted

The warrants thing is getting silly, I've had 3 stolen because the warrant station writes on them in pen which fades after 2 days, leaving just a hole punched sticker to be taken. I showed one of the parking guys where they are commonly hidden in the hope of less of these tickets, but i've seen them going up and down the street writing them out since then

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    First of all, theft is out of the equation. You're quite right. Public parking has no responsibility to protect your bike from theft, I'm sorry.
    says the guy with the bike least likely to be nicked.

no you're right though, that's why i said earlier in the other thread that bikes should have priority over scooters when parking under the commons. also why i'm insured, also why i like to park off street

the problem is the police dont give a shit

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post

The footpath parking debate is one that is being taken to the council (see other thread) via bronz, the change in attitude of parking officials is something that, i for one, want to know the basis for (especially for such offenses as the $12 one)
    yeah! i had a new student looking for the enrolment office come up to me on his 250 hyosung asking where he could park. we were on princes st and i was parked on the grass between parking and footpath. i said he could park anywhere but then he said a warden was giving him shit for it. i said the grass never saw me a ticket, but then warned him of my recent tickets.

you'd think that provided you're parked out of the way it wouldn't be a problem, but some people, like that dean and it would seem a few wardens or whoever is running them, are just dickheads

luckily today i figured out how to get into the commons parking via princes st without bottoming out on the curb, so i can park there now without going in via the pedestrian bit

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    no you're right though, that's why i said earlier in the other thread that bikes should have priority over scooters when parking under the commons
    No0o0o0ooo! People spend their whole lives fighting for equality, we're not going to have any of this "its a scooter, it doesnt deserve to be there" shit going on down there
    If a scooter rider wants to park there, they may also, but by the same notion, they should follow the etiquette of parking there. i.e. parking as tightly in as possible and out of the way, and saying ello to the rest of us

Bike
    Too many to count
    In the time it took me to write that post both of you posted

The warrants thing is getting silly, I've had 3 stolen because the warrant station writes on them in pen which fades after 2 days, leaving just a hole punched sticker to be taken. I showed one of the parking guys where they are commonly hidden in the hope of less of these tickets, but i've seen them going up and down the street writing them out since then
    ever tried following them, pointing out warrants? they get rather awkward and possibly scared and stop ticketing until you go away

Bike
    Too many to count
    No0o0o0ooo! People spend their whole lives fighting for equality, we're not going to have any of this "its a scooter, it doesnt deserve to be there" shit going on down there
    If a scooter rider wants to park there, they may also, but by the same notion, they should follow the etiquette of parking there. i.e. parking as tightly in as possible and out of the way, and saying ello to the rest of us
    i'm not saying they're less important, but that it is easier for them to get into a spot on symonds than it is for me, and the chance of the scooter being stolen before mine is about a million to one. if my bike was guaranteed to not be stolen, and i could get into symonds safely without having to stalk out a wide space and a large gap in the traffic, i wouldn't mind scooter down there. if the parking situation/risk was equal, then we could have equality.

i'd like to give an analogy, but i can't think of a good one...

edit; and by scooter i include all fxr and gn bikes. basically, anything likely to be stolen. i think we can all agree that the r1 (who parks WAY to close to that door to the lockers) has top priority, along with the ducati998, then maybe nish's bike, the cbr600f that parks under the commons, my vfr, the tl if it's there, that asian guy's nice as black cbr250, then chris's bike which has no stand so can't park normally anymore, and the list keeps going down untill the theifs wont bother and move onto other parts of auckland

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Its all good as long as we dont head down the path of "bikes only", while a sports bike shares more risk in being parked on symonds than a scooter (in regards to theft), we cant be saying that a sports bike is therefore entitled to a space over a scooter, lest my tl be kicking your bike outta the back there and a busa kicking me out

The ease at which they can park on symonds is why they mostly do, and i suspect that the couple that do park in the back there come from the city side of campus (which is hardest to approach from to get onto symonds st for parking)

Thread Information