Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: More detail on the new Africa Twin

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Have travelled quite a bit around the middle of Australia. It's not difficult to find yourself in places where you are wondering if there's another solitary person within two or three hundred kilometers. The fuel available can be a bit suss out that way too.

If it stops in places like that, I've got a better than 50/50 chance of getting a carby to work again.

Probably got no chance of fixing an injection system. Yes they are pretty reliable. No, the fuel is usually not that bad. It's just that the consequences can be pretty dire and so I go with the greatest likelihood of getting mobile again.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    No, they run rich at high altitude. Compared to low altitude, there's the same volume of air passing through the venturi, so it draws the same volume of fuel through the main jet, but there fewer air molecules in that volume of air.
    So what is the oxygen sensor in the exhaust for ?
    The mechanics at work and My understanding was its there to send data to the computer to analyze the exaust gases and adjust the mixture accordingly.
    If my injected bikes run rich at altitude, why can't I feel it ?
    With carbed bikes I've owned in the past you could tell.
    flashg

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    crash started my 690 couple of times with no problems. FI is pretty reliable these days. early stuff had problems. Bad fuel seems to be the predominant cause of problems but that's not really an issue in NZ. Carbs are great if your a carb wizard and have a jet kit and the patience to tune them....FI takes care of all that.
    Your right, crash starting your beast wasnt an issue for the rider, as for the poor buggers pushing it, well, bugger and buggerette anyway. And it was after a couple
    jeez, that was a couple or 3 years ago now.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    Apologies Racing Dave
    I didn't read your post properly.
    flashg

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by flashg View Post
    Apologies Racing Dave
    I didn't read your post properly.
    That's OK, no harm done.

My first experience of the 'running rich at altitude' sensation was about 30 years ago, when the Rainbow Road wasn't the popular highway that it is now, and my XR185 started blubbering at the top of Island Saddle on the way north. In those days, it could literally be a week before help arrived and the walk out in bike gear was not one to look forward to (I thought that I might start blubbering, too), but on descending the saddle the engine returned to its usual smooth purr. Until I returned to Hanmer, when it happened again, and of course cleared up again by Lake Tennyson.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by Waipukbiker View Post
    Your right, crash starting your beast wasnt an issue for the rider, as for the poor buggers pushing it, well, bugger and buggerette anyway. And it was after a couple
    jeez, that was a couple or 3 years ago now.
    LOL. Was gonna mention it was preferable to have a steep hill to launch it Ross. You blokes were awesome that fateful day in the Paronagawho car park. What ya upto these days mate, we need to get the crew together for a ride or two this spring/summer.....especially now I have a comfy British adv-Tourer (with FI) to ride.
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well I was needing a rest 3/4 up Takipari rd today to remove some layers and inspect the next steep section when a heavenly sound starts thundering up the trail....
    Whats that I wonder, sounds great and definitely a bigger bike of some sort. The track was in bad state and I was blown away to see an AT thumping up the hill.
    Yoshi end can on it, had good chat to owner and he got it unaided through some pretty mean snowy and ice bits on the steep loose stuff. I was even hesitant to follow on the DR!
    Post some pics later
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Seems Honda dealers have special on at moment, $2k of recommended retail on this "hard to obtain, limited supplies" bike....
    Dam that I trying to buy house at moment

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Seems Honda dealers have special on at moment, $2k of recommended retail on this "hard to obtain, limited supplies" bike....
    Dam that I trying to buy house at moment
    Well - that's the best time to buy a new bike - just add it to the loan. You are a long time dead.

Bike
    08 KTM 690 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Well - that's the best time to buy a new bike - just add it to the loan. You are a long time dead.
    I would only agree with that if you were sure the bike was actually going to enrich your life more than your current ride. Would the AT really go up steep hills that much better?
    Having a smaller mortgage can actually mean more free time to ride, which to me is more important than a new bike. I'm probably sounding a bit too serious and sensible here but what worked for us was paying our mortgage down hard in the beginning and we're now reaping the rewards. Every big expense was preceded by the question "will this truly enrich my life" ?

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Takataka View Post
    I would only agree with that if you were sure the bike was actually going to enrich your life more than your current ride. Would the AT really go up steep hills that much better?
    Having a smaller mortgage can actually mean more free time to ride, which to me is more important than a new bike. I'm probably sounding a bit too serious and sensible here but what worked for me was paying my mortgage down hard in the beginning and I'm now reaping the rewards. Every big expense was preceded buy the question "will this truly enrich my life" ?
    Good thinking!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Takataka View Post
    Having a smaller mortgage can actually mean more free time to ride, which to me is more important than a new bike. I'm probably sounding a bit too serious and sensible here but what worked for us was paying our mortgage down hard in the beginning and we're now reaping the rewards. Every big expense was preceded by the question "will this truly enrich my life" ?
    When the mortage payments are about the same as renting, how long it takes to pay it off id immaterial to me, just be nice to have my own place.
    Yes an Africa Twin will enrich my life.... however I'm starting to get dismayed watching youtuvbe vids of the thousands of screws and shit to undo to accesss the airfilter or taking the tank and fairings off. Hopefully Safari or rallyraid bring out aftermarket body kits soon..... otherwise it might be the KTM790 ADV X or the Yamaha YDV830R or even the Suzuzki RM670V.....

Bike
    Honda cb600 Hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Where? The Honda website has lots about specials on the cbr450, but I cna't see anything on the AT - is it dealer initiated?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcshaz View Post
    Where? The Honda website has lots about specials on the cbr450, but I cna't see anything on the AT - is it dealer initiated?
    probably... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1020965587.htm

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar

Thread Information