Page 44 of 64 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects At Home During Lockdown

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Presumably the 100year old walnut will produce some lovely timber. It should keep the interior of a few Jaaaaags and Rolls Royces sorted.

Here's the actual other side of the metal thingy I found in my oil pickup. It seems clear it has broken out of somewhere.
    See my previous post. I owe you for the carb bits anyway. Someone's hammered on a gearbox shaft - probably to get the sprocket bolt off - and broken that bit of casting out.

Your call as to how far you go with it. If you want to freshen up the bores, the cases have to come apart anyway. That damage is fixable.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!
    I dunno, I reckon he could pass for it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by timg View Post
    Love it! Yeah, he is about that old!
    ...Oi!...last time I looked you were about my age...just more handsome...well, you have all your teeth anyway...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Mere children, all of youse.

I wasn't going to make an arm for the frame I'm building, I have a pre-unit Triumph arm here that I was going to use. It's a 50's replica project so that was age-appropriate.
    But it' s too wide at the pivot once bearing carriers are inserted, assymetric - and bloody heavy. So an arm is being made.
    I was able today to blag my way onto a press - keeping social distancing and wiping it down afterwards.....To form the ends of the fork legs. I have a die setup I've used several times before.
    Then it was haul out my last pair of lasercut fork ends - made for 15mm axles - and open them up to suit the Triumph axle setup. .675 inch
    Now this size is not uncommon on old Brit stuff - I was using an AMC front axle as a go/not go gauge - but WTF, it doesn't equate to anything in fractions or metric.

Anyone got any theories as to why this size is used ? Nev ?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So they could Serendipiously use that number for the capacity of my current roadbike many many years later.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post

I wasn't going to make an arm for the frame I'm building, I have a pre-unit Triumph arm here that I was going to use. It's a 50's replica project so that was age-appropriate.
    But it' s too wide at the pivot once bearing carriers are inserted, assymetric - and bloody heavy. So an arm is being made.
    I was able today to blag my way onto a press - keeping social distancing and wiping it down afterwards.....To form the ends of the fork legs. I have a die setup I've used several times before.
    Then it was haul out my last pair of lasercut fork ends - made for 15mm axles - and open them up to suit the Triumph axle setup. .675 inch
    Now this size is not uncommon on old Brit stuff - I was using an AMC front axle as a go/not go gauge - but WTF, it doesn't equate to anything in fractions or metric.

Brtitsh Standard Cycle thread?
    BSC (British Standard Cycle) Thread Data
    Diameter (Inches) Threads per inch Tapping Drill Size
    0.125 (1/8th) inch 40 Tpi Number Drill 39 0.1004 inch 2.5mm
    0.625 (5/8) inch 26 Tpi 0.5906 inch 15 mm
    0.6875 (11/16) inch 26 Tpi 0.6496 inch 16.5 mm
    1 inch 26 Tpi 0.9688 (31/32) inch 24.61.1 mm
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Brtitsh Standard Cycle thread?
    BSC (British Standard Cycle) Thread Data
    Diameter (Inches) Threads per inch Tapping Drill Size
    0.125 (1/8th) inch 40 Tpi Number Drill 39 0.1004 inch 2.5mm
    0.625 (5/8) inch 26 Tpi 0.5906 inch 15 mm
    0.6875 (11/16) inch 26 Tpi 0.6496 inch 16.5 mm
    1 inch 26 Tpi 0.9688 (31/32) inch 24.61.1 mm
    The practise probably does go back to pushbike origins. The .675 is plain shaft size - often with a 5/8 thread on the end where it's an axle.
    Not dissimilar to the common Jap medium/lightweight practise of a 14mm thread on the end of a 15mm axle.

But they did make it difficult for themselves with the odd size. 5/8 thread on an 11/16 axle would have been so much easier. Poms eh...

Bike
    As many as I can get away with

Hmmmmmm…. 43/64" is 0.672 so 3 thou under. So that's what it'll be but fuck knows why. Sorry Greg, not a bloody clue why they'd have used such an oddball size. I assume it is 26 TPI so would be cycle thread. Oh hang on, are the bearing sizes 11/16"? Maybe just a step down on the bearing size so they slide over the thread without touching them, but why only 1/64" I don't know. As we all know the Poms did some silly shit.

Bike
    The practise probably does go back to pushbike origins. The .675 is plain shaft size - often with a 5/8 thread on the end where it's an axle.
    Not dissimilar to the common Jap medium/lightweight practise of a 14mm thread on the end of a 15mm axle.

But they did make it difficult for themselves with the odd size. 5/8 thread on an 11/16 axle would have been so much easier. Poms eh...
    Haha. Just saw your post. Two great minds think alike eh

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...Oi!...last time I looked you were about my age...just more handsome...well, you have all your teeth anyway...
    Correct on every count
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    As we all know the Poms did some silly shit.
    They still do, Watch an episode of Jeremey Kyle,

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    They still do, Watch an episode of Jeremey Kyle,
    I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was. Mate, you seriously have too much time on your hands

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by swarfie View Post
    I had to google him as I didn't have a clue who he was. Mate, you seriously have too much time on your hands
    If you want to see some serious retardation it's the place to go.
    I wouldn't have believed there were enough crack head inbred's screwing their sons girlfriend, or their cousin to make a TV series about it.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Scaffolding and Wallpaper steamer hired, from a local hire place (not a franchise)

Tomorrow will be doing all the high parts of the walls.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    motocompo
    I ordered one of these today.
    May as well go full retard with it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GSXR...75.c100623.m-1

Thread Information