Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Road 5 end of life review

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    So the S22s are goooood. There's no discernible roll centre and I just did 1444.4 kms in three days and the 830-odd done yesterday were in the evil mixed conditions, mostly very damp and they were much nicer in the wet than the PR2s. The PR2s always announced when you arrived at vertical dead centre and were somewhat slithery when it was properly damp.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Last Sunday I did a loop from Auckland down to Whakamaru and back on some of my favourite back roads. I rode the Old Taupo Road for the first time, not sure why that has taken me so long as it is much more fun to ride than drive. Waipapa Road is nice in summer when the road is dry, but it doesn't have the same vibe as on a misty day in winter.

The Road 5s were good, the bike feels really planted once you're on the sticky shoulder compounds, which look nicely scuffed now. The steering is definitely quicker than the PR4 and trail braking is excellent. The ride seemed a little smoother but the tyres still give decent feedback. The only negative is that the rear profile is more rounded than the PR4 in the 190/55 size, and the bike does not feel quite as good at high lean angles. Probably just needs some readjustment on my part.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    The only negative is that the rear profile is more rounded than the PR4 in the 190/55 size, and the bike does not feel quite as good at high lean angles. Probably just needs some readjustment on my part.
    My observation in going from the 4 to the 5, the 5 definitely prefers a positive throttle going into a curve and then responds nicely to transitioning to progressive throttle.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    My observation in going from the 4 to the 5, the 5 definitely prefers a positive throttle going into a curve and then responds nicely to transitioning to progressive throttle.
    Yes I went for a short ride this morning and found that the Road 5 seems happier with more load on the tyre, whether that is brakes or throttle. It feels much more like a sports tyre than the 4, in fact better than some sports tyres I used 8-10 years ago!

It was a stunning morning in the North Waikato, very clear view from Pukekawa. But the pasture on the hills is going brown very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    A
    Yes I went for a short ride this morning and found that the Road 5 seems happier with more load on the tyre, whether that is brakes or throttle. It feels much more like a sports tyre than the 4, in fact better than some sports tyres I used 8-10 years ago!

It gets even more confusing though. Running the standard Road 5s on my FJR, awesome tyre and as you've obviously worked out, you can push on quite nicely with them
    Got the Power 5 on my Busa, and for a sports tyre the wet grip is at least as good as the Road 5...if not better.
    Plus the wear from the Power 5 is damn good too, especially for a tyre that can be used with such...ahem, enthusiasm

Thinking back 10-15-20 years, man we've come a long way in terms of tyre technology

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    I'm a recent convert to Michelin on 2 of my cars, hugely impressed with how well they perform on a road car so next time I own a road reg'd bike I'll be looking at the Michelin catalogue for my 2 wheel action too.

I'm a huge tyre nerd these days so love a good tyre review from the real world. Thanks for taking the time.

Now I'm off to slag off Jacinda...

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    It gets even more confusing though. Running the standard Road 5s on my FJR, awesome tyre and as you've obviously worked out, you can push on quite nicely with them
    Got the Power 5 on my Busa, and for a sports tyre the wet grip is at least as good as the Road 5...if not better.
    Plus the wear from the Power 5 is damn good too, especially for a tyre that can be used with such...ahem, enthusiasm

Thinking back 10-15-20 years, man we've come a long way in terms of tyre technology
    Lol went out yesterday for a fang. I'm on Road 4's and was thinking these are way better than me nowdays ?
    I can hardly reach the edges of the tyres in just normal road riding. ( too scared I'll go upside down ).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Lol went out yesterday for a fang. I'm on Road 4's and was thinking these are way better than me nowdays ?
    I can hardly reach the edges of the tyres in just normal road riding. ( too scared I'll go upside down ).
    Yep, if truth be told, most riders will run out of talent before any of the major brands reach their limits! It's just down to personal choice for your particular needs. Your comment about going upside down actually struck a chord. I'm on blood thinners and only have to knock myself with moderate force to end up with a bloody good bruise. Coming off the bike, even at walking pace doesn't bear thinking about.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

It was difficult to decide whether to get the Road 5 or the Power 5, and I'm still not sure whether I've made the right choice!

Did the northern Coro loop yesterday; I now understand why Blackbird likes the Road 5 so much. The rear grips very well and going up the hill from Coromandel Town was great fun. The front is the best tyre I've had for trail braking. I had a clear run down the hill to Kopu on 25A (!), and am very impressed with the front. Definitely a big improvement on the PR4.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    The hill from Te Rerenga to Coromandel Town is up there as one of my favourite bits of road in the whole country. It's a cracking ride if you time it right and don't encounter any traffic

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    It was difficult to decide whether to get the Road 5 or the Power 5, and I'm still not sure whether I've made the right choice!

Did the northern Coro loop yesterday; I now understand why Blackbird likes the Road 5 so much. The rear grips very well and going up the hill from Coromandel Town was great fun. The front is the best tyre I've had for trail braking. I had a clear run down the hill to Kopu on 25A (!), and am very impressed with the front. Definitely a big improvement on the PR4.

Just 5 minutes from our house so I need to take it easy on the first ascent until the tyres warm up

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Just 5 minutes from our house so I need to take it easy on the first ascent until the tyres warm up
    That certainly wasn't an issue yesterday!

It was interesting going up the hill as I followed a fairly new Street Triple R. It looked good through the corners, but, as you'd expect, doesn't have the acceleration of the R1 on corner exits.

It had a fairly loud pipe and did sound nice. But it didn't sound like it had a quickshift?

Bike
    Sold
    That certainly wasn't an issue yesterday!

It was interesting going up the hill as I followed a fairly new Street Triple R. It looked good through the corners, but, as you'd expect, doesn't have the acceleration of the R1 on corner exits.

It had a fairly loud pipe and did sound nice. But it didn't sound like it had a quickshift?

The rider might possibly have not been using the quickshift. On my 790, I rarely use the quickshift on upshifts, just the clutch. It requires a reasonable amount of throttle to make a smooth change on the upshift and I mostly short shift on the open road. For downshifting, I use the quickshift all the time as it gives beautiful smooth and fast changes. Perfect for the roads I tend to inhabit. If you're ever up this way again PM me as there's always coffee and cake on offer

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    The rider might possibly have not been using the quickshift. On my 790, I rarely use the quickshift on upshifts, just the clutch. It requires a reasonable amount of throttle to make a smooth change on the upshift and I mostly short shift on the open road. For downshifting, I use the quickshift all the time as it gives beautiful smooth and fast changes. Perfect for the roads I tend to inhabit. If you're ever up this way again PM me as there's always coffee and cake on offer
    Thanks, will do. I usually do a couple of rides somewhere in Coromandel during autumn.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The second set have now done 10,000 km. The front and rear profiles still look good except for the front right shoulder which is starting to flatten slightly. The rear tread is 3-4 mm and should last at least another 5000 km.

I did a ride around Coro with a group over the weekend. Others were talking about sliding in the dry on Saturday (it was hot in the afternoon!) and the wet on Sunday. Absolutely no dramas on the Road 5's, just one slow drift from the rear in the wet on the shiny stuff near Thames..

The only negative for me is that low speed manoeuvring is a bit twitchy, but otherwise they are great.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Thread Information