Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtaking another bike

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

Overtaking another bike

I'm riding back from Port Waikato and catch up to another bike where there is a series of corners before the bridge. The rider makes no effort to let me pass and keeps riding maybe 1-2 metres to the left of the centreline.

So was he not checking his mirrors, or just couldn't make the effort to move over?

This has happened quite a few times this summer. I expect it from Harley riders, but to be honest, most of them have been great and let me past.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I'm riding back from Port Waikato and catch up to another bike where there is a series of corners before the bridge. The rider makes no effort to let me pass and keeps riding maybe 1-2 metres to the left of the centreline.

So was he not checking his mirrors, or just couldn't make the effort to move over?

This has happened quite a few times this summer. I expect it from Harley riders, but to be honest, most of them have been great and let me past.
    Next time stuff it up the inside and knock him off.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    The onus has always been on the overtaking vehicle.

There's no obligation for the vehicle ahead to make way, unless they are doing less speed than the speed limit.

That said, too many riders don't use their mirrors as much as they should.

Sounds like you found yourself behind someone who lacks situational awareness.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

There's no obligation for the vehicle ahead to make way, unless they are doing less speed than the speed limit.

Probably a post on another forum saying " I was riding my bike along the Waikato river on a series of bends towards the Tuakau bridge and a

sports bike came from nowhere and expected me to get out of his way"
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    Probably a post on another forum saying " I was riding my bike along the Waikato river on a series of bends towards the Tuakau bridge and a

sports bike came from nowhere and expected me to get out of his way"
    Lol. I reckon. Just go on bye and give 'em a wave. I went between Andrew Templeton (of Roadsafe) and the fence on the Taka's once, the clown tried to give me a lecture afterwards. But if you're using the whole road and riding outside of your abilities to stay in front, I say it's all fair and all on.

Bike
    bandit

1-2 metres to the left of the centerline? Plenty of room to get by ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom on a motorcycle or in a double cab tin can.

As someone who is often overtaken, I'm not sure you can expect someone to make room through a series of corners surely? Would you have had 100m of clear visibility throughout the manoeuvre ? Was the speed differential that great between yourself and the rider ahead? Were you tailgating them? Is your user name a piss-take?
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

What about failing to keep as far left as practicable? Not that anyone in the history of NZ has ever been prosecuted.

Cheers

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

chop three gears, smash the fuckin throttle to the stop, and pass the cunt. You want him to give you a handjob and wave a flag for you too?

Make your own pass when safe to do so, aint his job to make your life easy.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, seldom on a motorcycle or in a double cab tin can.

As someone who is often overtaken, I'm not sure you can expect someone to make room through a series of corners surely? Would you have had 100m of clear visibility throughout the manoeuvre ? Was the speed differential that great between yourself and the rider ahead? Were you tailgating them? Is your user name a piss-take?
    There were short straights between the corners. All he had to do was drift left on a RH corner and I would have passed him. We were both going about the same speed on the long straights before then, but he slowed for the corners. And no, I was a safe distance behind.

If you see someone riding a R1 with a Safer Rides hi viz, it could well be me.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    And if he drifted left... would you really assume that he was doing that just for you..?
    And not just because they were looking at the view, speedo, fuel gauge, gps, misread the corner, too busy looking at the bike in their mirror, lacking "situational awareness" etc, etc...????

That gives me a cold chill.

As Tigertim said, drop a cog and give it the second handful, it's your job to overtake quickly and safely without endangering the clown who's slowing down for every corner and drifting all over the road...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    1-2 metres to the left of the centerline? Plenty of room to get by ...
    rbcifgip .

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    chop three gears, smash the fuckin throttle to the stop, and pass the cunt. You want him to give you a handjob and wave a flag for you too?

Make your own pass when safe to do so, aint his job to make your life easy.
    rbcifgip .

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Lol. I reckon. Just go on bye and give 'em a wave. I went between Andrew Templeton (of Roadsafe) and the fence on the Taka's once, the clown tried to give me a lecture afterwards. But if you're using the whole road and riding outside of your abilities to stay in front, I say it's all fair and all on.
    I came out of a downhill corner too hot and nearly went up the back of a paddy wagon on the Featherston side once. Instinctively ran down the centre line only to find an oncoming partol car coming up. Split with surgical precision, just about shit my pants doing so and for a few minutes afterwards.

OP: grow some.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    And if he drifted left... would you really assume that he was doing that just for you..?
    And not just because they were looking at the view, speedo, fuel gauge, gps, misread the corner, too busy looking at the bike in their mirror, lacking "situational awareness" etc, etc...????

That gives me a cold chill.

As Tigertim said, drop a cog and give it the second handful, it's your job to overtake quickly and safely without endangering the clown who's slowing down for every corner and drifting all over the road...
    Yeah, I get your point and often overtake "quickly and safely".

The point wasn't so much this particular situation, but more how often it's happened this summer. There seems to be an increasing number of riders who keep just to the left of the centre line - are they being trained to ride this way? The worst example I've seen was a group of riders on the southern Coro loop who'd managed to hold up a line of cars and didn't leave any gaps for others to overtake.

Thread Information