Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a Pirelli Sport Demon as back tyre and I am very disappointed

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Got a Pirelli Sport Demon as back tyre and I am very disappointed

Asked a while ago what was a good rear one for the old K100.
    The Sport Demon was a recommendation.

In the meantime I picked up a spare wheel with a Michelin Macadam on. That one worked well. Could scrape the pegs (true!!). Not that I managed to do that more than twice, but still...

Got the Sport Demon fitted when the Macadam did run out of thread. And it honestly scares me! Aqua plans easily. When leaning the tyre lets go. The rear feels like it has a life of its own. Note that even with less than 1mm thread on the Michelin there was none of this going on. Have tried to change pressure but not much better sadly.

So I will get something else with grip ASAP. And then sell the Demon to highest bidder.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Well that certainly runs contrary to my experience of them.

They do move around a bit when cold but once up to temperature I've always found them to be highly controllable and predictable in the way they perform.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    Well that certainly runs contrary to my experience of them.

They do move around a bit when cold but once up to temperature I've always found them to be highly controllable and predictable in the way they perform.
    And as I tend to sit a fraction above the speed limit I would be surprised if the tyre was cold!

After first ride (to Welly and back) I spent some time checking that all was Ok with the backend. I was sure something was loose. But did not find anything. So I fitted the old Michelin back on (is on the spare wheel) and she straight away changed personality and became predictable.

Bike
    2007 CBR1000RR
    Have to say, I'm surprised to hear this as well. I got a sports demon as a replacement for the rear tyre which came with my bike and I love it. It handles significantly better than the previous one in the wet, and grips nearly non-stop once up to temperature in the dry, although this can take some time and the correct pressures. I also find that when it does let go, it does so in a controlled and gradual way rather.
    Library Schooled

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    My sport demon front scared the hell out of me till it was worn in, since then it's been great, very nice tyre.
    Going to get one to replace my commuter city demon rear as well.
    It is designed for small and light bikes though, maybe that's your problem?

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyer View Post
    It is designed for small and light bikes though, maybe that's your problem?
    Good point! The K100 is far from light...

I will look for something sticky. I be OK to get below 10,000k's from it. Rather that and glued to the road than the other way around.

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    Sport Demon's came on the GPX250 I bought in May this year, both tyres have heaps of rubber left (<5mm) It feels like I have had up's and downs on them, I can relate both to the the "scary when wet" and then the "perfect in the dry" that the posts above relate to.

I had been feeling like they were shit but I have ridden on no other so it was a big call for me to make with no other experience on any other tyres, I then got talking to a guy (he's on here somewhere, a pom that rides a duke here in Hamilton) and he said to me that he had ridden Pirelli's all his life and that him having followed me on a LOR Sunday he reckoned it wasn't the tires that were my problem in the wet it was me accelerating over the slick patch's that was giving me issues

Haha, so I still have a open mind to them, I reckon they prob aren't that bad.

I do want to try a Michelin next tho just from what I'v heard.

Bike
    600 Unicorn
    I've got Sport Demons front and back on the the VFR (not by choice), front brand new and back getting pretty squared off, and am yet to be disappointed. This coming from Metzeler M3s on the Hornet which were awesome especially in the wet. Not sure I'd replace them with the same though, depends what's available for the kooky 170/60 rear.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike104 View Post
    Sport Demon's came on the GPX250 I bought in May this year, both tyres have heaps of rubber left (<5mm) It feels like I have had up's and downs on them, I can relate both to the the "scary when wet" and then the "perfect in the dry" that the posts above relate to.

I had been feeling like they were shit but I have ridden on no other so it was a big call for me to make with no other experience on any other tyres, I then got talking to a guy (he's on here somewhere, a pom that rides a duke here in Hamilton) and he said to me that he had ridden Pirelli's all his life and that him having followed me on a LOR Sunday he reckoned it wasn't the tires that were my problem in the wet it was me accelerating over the slick patch's that was giving me issues

Haha, so I still have a open mind to them, I reckon they prob aren't that bad.

I do want to try a Michelin next tho just from what I'v heard.
    Once you have had a tyre that sticks to the road you will be wondering why you did put up with what you had.

I am far from a tyre expert. In fact speedway tyres is only thing I used to know anything about. Road ones, well, whatever was available would do used to be my approach.

But in my book a tyre should stick to the road. If I have to worry about when to throttle on or off, how much I can lean in a corner w/o the tyre letting go, then the ride just becomes so much like hard work. OK, so in my past life I did ride Triumphs and HD's and customs. But there was long rides, wet roads etc. I have also been on some jappas etc. And the difference between a good tyre that keeps you glued to the road and one that you have to worry about can be life and death. Your riding style will be hugely affected.

So out she goes. Just hate the testing at $250+/tyre to find one that is good...

Bike
    2008 Suzuki VL250
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but what tyres would people recommend for my trusty VL250?

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    Go ask cycletreads, I think they know a thing or two about tyres. :P

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Good point! The K100 is far from light...

I will look for something sticky. I be OK to get below 10,000k's from it. Rather that and glued to the road than the other way around.
    The XT is comparatively light and my experience was similar to you yours - only even more treacherous as I had them both front and rear.
    On the positive side, the rear tyre only lasted about 3,500 km then I got rid of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    The XT is comparatively light and my experience was similar to you yours - only even more treacherous as I had them both front and rear.
    On the positive side, the rear tyre only lasted about 3,500 km then I got rid of both.
    Someone agrees with me! What did you replace them with?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Get a Pilot Road 2.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Someone agrees with me! What did you replace them with?
    BT003. But wouldn't use them again either. Wet grip is not as good it could be and wear obviously sucks.
    Have a pilot road 2 on the rear now and a Pilot Power 2ct on the front. Grip both wet and dry is good and wear is excellent.
    Not so sure I would run the PP front again however as it has a bad tendancy to run off the inside of corners with this combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Thread Information