Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Moeraki crash

Bike
    It was on the good
    True though. I have never been killed yet but my wife gives me grief every time another member of the collective gets wiped out.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    It's the classic "won't happen to me" attitude. That can be partly a survival mechanism given the dangers of riding, but I expect many riders believe that their superior abilities will somehow keep them safe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    For those slow omes that missed it.
    a ome... I doubt I am... collective / group why are you offended by that, we as a general are slow learners... but some how I think ras was generalising even I get that LOL,,, individuals we are responsibill for our selves and others as they are... however sometimes that is out of our control, unless you want to stay in bed all day.

eitherway to the topic at hand... no overseas visitors / tourests on NZ roads with out a driving corse... fuck em I say
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    It's the classic "won't happen to me" attitude. That can be partly a survival mechanism given the dangers of riding, but I expect many riders believe that their superior abilities will somehow keep them safe.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    What a load of sanctimonious clap trap. rastuscat claimed E standards had lowered wrt motorcycle safety gear yet he still hasn't provided evidence to back that clain up. He also had no understanding of the Aus/NZ rating system for helmets.

Lumping all riders in the same way is a falsehood also lumping all tourist the same is a falsehood as well. Maxpenquin had not much bother with them at all. Neither did I on my South Island tours. I'm well aware of the dangers of riding, the capabilities of myself and my machines. Hell I've owned and ridden one particular bike since 1986. So yeah generalistion make you all look, well, not that bright.

Typed on my stone tablet using Etchasketch.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    One might say since since one is still riding 1980s technology, one might not be so familiar with modern technology and advances in motorcycle safety.

Some technological advances are good for safety (eg traction control), some are bad as they can make riders lazy (eg cruise control).

Bike
    Know it all attitude is not too bright either.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    What a load of sanctimonious clap trap. rastuscat claimed E standards had lowered wrt motorcycle safety gear yet he still hasn't provided evidence to back that clain up. He also had no understanding of the Aus/NZ rating system for helmets.

Lumping all riders in the same way is a falsehood also lumping all tourist the same is a falsehood as well. Maxpenquin had not much bother with them at all. Neither did I on my South Island tours. I'm well aware of the dangers of riding, the capabilities of myself and my machines. Hell I've owned and ridden one particular bike since 1986. So yeah generalistion make you all look, well, not that bright.

Typed on my stone tablet using Etchasketch.
    Lets make this easy for you. Lots of riders are crap at the riding part.

Get some training.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    yeah sorry... im not quite sure what is meant by "collectives"
    I have an idea what 'collectives' are, but my bike is not a helicopter so it doesn't have one.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    It was on the good
    eitherway to the topic at hand... no overseas visitors / tourests on NZ roads with out a driving corse... fuck em I say
    That will only work for the ones who are really really shit drivers. Any decent driver from overseas would pass easily.

The problem is three weeks in to their trip when they are fully chilled out and they pull back out from wherever they stopped and for a few minutes forget where they are and drive on the wrong side of the road. Been there, done that. It is a toss of a coin as to whether the driver suddenly remembers where they are and pulls back on to the correct side of the road or has a head on killing not only members of their own family but others in the oncoming vehicle.

The only way you will prevent that from happening is banning people from driving here who normally drive on the right. That won’t happen because we are tied to a 1949 agreement. I can’t imagine any government tearing that up so unfortunately innocent people will continue to be killed by visitor drivers who fuck up for that single brief moment.

Hanging them by the neck and then nailing them to a cross on the road coming out of Auckland airport as a warning to others might please some people but it will do absolutely nothing to prevent it happening again because it is not a conscious decision, it is reverting to instinct and you can’t stop that.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    That will only work for the ones who are really really shit drivers. Any decent driver from overseas would pass easily..
    I disagree... Really shit nerd it drummed in not to just stop when they want, that stop means stop and look both ways... They need to be told our rds are often narrow and rough... As do the better drivers, its a different country to what ther are used to... I for one would be hapoy to sit in a class for an hour and have another country bash it in to me before I drive
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    So what's your solution? Or you believe it's not a problem worth worrying about.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    So what's your solution? Or you believe it's not a problem worth worrying about.
    Huh... You talking to me???

Fucking right it's worth worrying about... And today is to late...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Twowheeled
    I disagree... Really shit nerd it drummed in not to just stop when they want, that stop means stop and look both ways... They need to be told our rds are often narrow and rough... As do the better drivers, its a different country to what ther are used to... I for one would be hapoy to sit in a class for an hour and have another country bash it in to me before I drive
    Would you be comfortable and trained enough in one hour to drive competently in Bangkok?

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxPenguin View Post
    Would you be comfortable and trained enough in one hour to drive competently in Bangkok?
    NO... So I won't drive in Bangkok....

So... If people aren't confident driving in NZ... Fucking DONT
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Huh... You talking to me???

Fucking right it's worth worrying about... And today is to late...
    It was for Berries, your post just came in between

And I do think it's a problem as well.

Thread Information