Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random thoughts on luggage

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Probably the one thing I didn't add was roll top bags over the rear set. Handy, especially when I can't use panniers, but not for getting into during the day, as the top has to be rolled down, then strapped down to the bike etc.

Really, probably about being flexible/modular, and using what you need when you need it. Also about seeing what works for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00042-20110102-1754.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	348105   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3466.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	348106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191004_115753.jpg 
Size:	303.4 KB 
ID:	348107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00923.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	348108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00993.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	348109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03439.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	362.3 KB 
ID:	348110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Great discussion people....

Sorry Pritch but I’m a big fan of tank bags, BUT..... it’s getting damn hard to find the right one these days. If you have the right bike and big $$$ for the givi lock mount ones... but I don’t.

Years ago I borrowed a set of soft panniers the kind that you throw over the seat, worked well.
    Plus one on base of backpack weight testing slightly on something works well at times.
    The adv market has some pretty cool but EXPENSIVE systems that prob work on normal bikes too, I’d love a mosko moto reckless 80L setup if I win lotto...

Prob going to buy 30-40 L drybag, some have access at either end which would be handy.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Yamaha XT250 2016
    Look at “bikepacking” roll bags if you want double ended dry bags. Off-road adventure cyclists strap them to their handlebars, double roll makes them supposedly easier to pack and get into (in reality I didn’t find them any easier - I suspect the asymmetrical nature of single rolls upsets people’s aesthetics preferenced!)

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    My FJ and the pannier system I use. Givi luggage and fittings. The framework is courtesy of an engineer mate who did the welding. The Top-box and magnetic Tank bag is the usual day/overnight travel. I've never had rain or wind issues with this combination. And even side winds are not more of a hassle than at any other time without luggage.

With the full side and top cases ... wind issues are there ... just need to be more aware of wind direction to cope with gusts.

A minimal increase in fuel consumption with full gear ... but I average about 14 km/litre with all the gear.

I have had Pack racks on this and other bikes ... with the pack bag resting on the pillion seat if no passengers were aboard.

An overnight sports bag bungy cord tied to the pillion seat was usual. With a passenger ... things got complicated.

Name:	KB 2010 007.jpg 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	348113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15070_469300789778515_1727482938_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	504.5 KB 
ID:	348112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KB 2010 008.jpg 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	348114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NZ wide tag 002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	348115  
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A
    Luggage should first and foremost suit the intended purpose.

I've long given up the backpack routine, mostly because I can't stand wearing one on a bike.

The Ventura pack rack is good enough on one of my bikes, add a seat pack and there's enough room for a few days riding. Been down the tank bag route, meh it just doesn't appeal even if it's practical. Have done the throwover panniers thing, not a huge fan of them.

My other bike has twin hard panniers, the soft bags from in there can deal to a weeks' worth of luggage for me no sweat. Best of all everything stays dry, the weight is low and doesn't affect the handling of the beast.

Will admit to having done a lap of the North Island on a GN250 with a Ventura packrack and bag, tent and sleeping bag strapped to backseat...so I'm familiar with what's possible, even if it's not exactly practical.

When my next bike purchase comes up, luggage as in options or included with bike, it's on the list for consideration prior to committing.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Luggage should first and foremost suit the intended purpose.

Will admit to having done a lap of the North Island on a GN250 with a Ventura packrack and bag, tent and sleeping bag strapped to backseat...so I'm familiar with what's possible, even if it's not exactly practical.

When my next bike purchase comes up, luggage as in options or included with bike, it's on the list for consideration prior to committing.

Luggage should also suit the motorcycle it will be used on. Otherwise it could/would be unsuitable for it's intended use.

I "Toured" on a Kawasaki 100 once (and only once). A good idea ??... maybe not. Possible, and practical ... words seldom used in the same sentence.

I've seen a few bikes over the years ... two-up touring (and loving it) on bikes I thought were Sunday scratchers for one. Go figure ...

Some riders have limited budgets ... and I have been one of those in the past. And many riders still are.

It always depends on the end option that suits the rider best.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I went Wellington to Cold Kiwi 6 times despite having things like GS11 in garage. Fit pannier and tank bag easy.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Interesting topic this one. I do like hard luggage, especially good OEM stuff such as the BMW kit as well as the panniers I had on my Sprint GT. The MV's hard cases are good too (How un-MV of them!).

I recently did a quick North Island trip and carried all I needed in the two panniers. If I'd been going for longer I'd have taken a small tank bag too for the convenience items such as phone etc.

On some bikes the panniers are no wider than the bars (My MV Turismo is an example of this) so for filtering if the bars get through then you're OK. I've also used my trusty Ventura pack a number of time on the DR. I do like the fact that it clips on with 2 clips and you're done - All nice and secure. Plus it doesn't add to the width either and you're supporting a NZ company by using them which gives me the warm and fuzzies

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Tramping pack liners are good for el cheapo waterproofing of existing backpacks etc, basically a very large, heavy duty plastic bag. Available off the shelf at most of the outdoors tramping camping shops, spendy for what they are but if you've got to roll soon and the weather's turned it could be an option.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Started with an old tramping pack on the ventura rack, but way too top heavy and caught the wind like crazy.

I've still got some oxford soft bags in the garage, worked great on the old xj600 with low pipes and good points to strap to on the rear pegs, with a pack rack was enough for 2 people for a couple of days.

The ST2 has factory panniers, between that and a ventura rack for tent/bedrolll to strap onto is more than enough. Easy to unclip and carry if staying indoors, or otherwise leave them safely locked up on the bike.

Magnetic tank bag is handy for things you want close to hand, and just lifts off to refuel or take with you. As per the previous tank bag comments it pays to check the underside, as the magnets are good at picking up stray metal bits to scratch the paint.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Tramping pack liners are good for el cheapo waterproofing of existing backpacks etc, basically a very large, heavy duty plastic bag. Available off the shelf at most of the outdoors tramping camping shops, spendy for what they are but if you've got to roll soon and the weather's turned it could be an option.
    Ditto for large plastic gardening bags with a drawstring. Normally available from supermarkets and definitely garden centres. About the size of Kleensacks but more durable. As an aside, if your "waterproof" jacket suddenly leaks and you need a rapid solution, cutting holes for your head and arms and wearing one under your jacket will keep you warm and dry as a stop gap measure. Our eldest son used this trick when he played rugby at Otago Uni in the winter when it was cold and wet and there was bugger-all work for a winger .

Bike
    2012 Multistrada
    Bit late, but anyway

Luggage is very much down to personal preference as opposed to what is ‘the best setup’.

In my early days of riding, a seriously overloaded K2 backpack was used for trips up and down the country. I would be stopping every hour just from the discomfort but that’s just how it was.

I look at someone riding with a pack now and I feel their pain straight away.

Since then I’ve always just fitted a Ventura rack to every bike I’ve owned, paired with a tardis like RJs bag and tank bag, it is pretty unbeatable.

My bikes have never exactly been that suited for distance but even with the luggage and a pillion, managed week long trips.

I’ve never ridden a full dress tourer so who knows what the next acceptable level will be

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33459920-8295-4232-99EC-31F0034752BB.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	805.1 KB 
ID:	348647

Bike
    Indian Scout

Got throwovers onto Husky

So I'm off for a 3 or 4 or 5 day tour (weather dependent!) at crack of dawn tomorrow and had to figure out how to secure some luggage on the Fartpillick 701. It doesn't have the usual tie-down points and you can't run a strap from one side to the other under the pillion seat. Did a quick 30 minute run to see if it flapped about or moved. Nope, all seems good. In fact I reckon the Givi bags look good on the black bike. Roll on some tasty back roads from here to Coromandel loop and probably East Cape return and maybe Gentle Annie. This ride was meant to be to Northland, thanks Covid but we won, our plan B is looking sweet.

Name:	20210304_172639.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	845.5 KB 
ID:	348654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210304_172705.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	850.2 KB 
ID:	348655  
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Great discussion people....

Sorry Pritch but I’m a big fan of tank bags, BUT..... it’s getting damn hard to find the right one these days. If you have the right bike and big $$$ for the givi lock mount ones... but I don’t.
    I have a magnetic tank bag I use on my FJ. Very handy for quick access to stuff that ends up on the bottom of whatever bag you usually stuff it into.
    I have a friend who worked as an engineer in Alexandra. I acquired an old Givi pannier mounting frame for an old Honda. I took off the square Bag mounting frame off the Honda one. Then made a mounting base that fitted the existing bolts on the FJ. Then the Givi bag mounting frames were welded to the base. A bit of stuffing around with tack welds to get the right positioning for the bags. But it (in my opinion) looks ok. It does the job.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Givi V56 top box and Nonda hard/plastic panniers. Can still split if I need to, about the same wide as the front bars on the Africa Twin.
    Loaded both panniers and gone away for 10 days, no worries, usually keep the top box for both helmets if wifey is riding too, though she has the hand me down soft Givi's on her M50, they look bloody silly when expanded out, but they do the job and she's not yet run out of clothes etc while away.
    Can't says as I've noticed any particular lack of grip or balance when all boxes are full, she gets me an overall (Loaded, or not, round town, short hauls, long trips, cruising or moving along a bit) average of 100 K's for 5 Litres of Go juice, no complaints about the configuration or the mileage, old school it's roughly 60 miles odd on a gallon of juice, out of a 1000cc bike I'm stoked.
    If you've only ever had back packs or throw overs any sort of hard box is bloody amazing, I can't think why it took me so long to go this way. Dumb as I guess.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information