View Poll Results: Which firearm types do you own?

Voters
912. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shotgun (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

291 31.91%
  • Shotgun Auto (non MSSA)

96 10.53%
  • Rifle (single, double, pump, lever, bolt)

408 44.74%
  • Rifle Auto (non MSSA)

177 19.41%
  • MSSA

66 7.24%
  • Pistol

78 8.55%
  • Black powder (rifle, pistol, shotgun)

35 3.84%
  • Air/Gas (pistol, rifle)

313 34.32%
  • un-armed

305 33.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 542 of 676 FirstFirst ... 42442492532540541542543544552592642 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 10140

Thread: The firearm thread

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    shot placement is king. consider that cullers used. 22 hornet and 222 sako (beautiful guns and sweeeeeeeeeet caliber) back in the day.

i find ar fun to shoot, good for cq. but for offhand, and quick shots on the paddock, trad stocks win. probably by habit as much as training.

yes ar is a pick n mix thing.
    there's also plenty of people who wave the flag for windows.

308 can trauma a lot of meat if you're not clever. and is basically overgunned for anything in nz, inside 1000y. and since most deer are shot at sub 200...

semi with gas tube < bolty
    .every day of the week. you're not in fucken baghdad.

also cheaper to shoot 20 than 30. but fiddlier to reload.

all things to consider.

Bike
    SV1000s
    To slightly offset whats said above i use black rifles exclusively as it's cheaper to have an all rounder compromise for both hunting and sport shooting.

My AR shoots sub MOA, i reload 60grain projectiles for hunting anything including red deer up to 200m with the optics i use.
    Sport shooting is sub MOA with mil 62 grain or 1.5 with 55 grain.

With a 16" barrel and suppressor and full length handguard, 30 round mag loaded with 5 rounds, with brass catcher is
    lighter and shorter to handle in the bush than a mates T3 synthetic and has zero recoil to boot.

The deflector means one can shoot off handed if need be and you're not charged an arm and a leg by beretta nz if you need new or replacment parts.

I do have heavier and lighter calibres but they generally don't see the light of day too much now. Even though it's a compromise the setup isn't a bad all rounder.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    In regards to the AR platform - no, I've not shot one, but it's regularly listed as a very popular rifle, versatile, reliable etc. etc. and the aftermarket parts selection is huuuuuuge so if I don't like xyz about it, I can change it.

Reading up on opinions of .223 vs .308 for deer hunting (and my god - it's as bad as AK vs AR opinions) - there are some that say they would only hunt with a .308, some that say they regularly hunt and kill with .223, others that state it's perfectly possible to hunt with a .223 for bigger game, but they prefer .308 for extra stopping power, OHK etc.

Based on that - it seems to me that .223 = maybe, whilst .308 = definitely - hence my choice for a .308.

That all said, I'd be lying if I said that tacti-cool wasn't a factor in my buying decision.

The SL8 is rather Smexy, I'll give you that.

I think having a 223 and a 308 is the ideal combo.

Both are good for large game if you can accurately place your shots, as Akzle said shot placement is paramount and the animals need to be respected and killed as quickly and humanely as possible. Both are Sako mod 75s, the 308 finnlight has a 20 inch barrel and has had a DPT suppressor fitted since this pic, Ammo is Hornady SST 150grns and all head shots out to 230mts. the 223 is a tack driver and has shot hundreds of deer with only base of neck and head shots out to over 200mts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020961forum.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	331017

Name:	IMG_0653forum.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	331016

PS they shoot just as many Redskins.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nseagoon View Post

My AR shoots sub MOA, i reload 60grain projectiles for hunting anything including red deer up to 200m with the optics i use.
    Sport shooting is sub MOA with mil 62 grain or 1.5 with 55 grain.
    i sikk a pill twice the grains, 5 times the distance... as i'm trying to point out, horses for courses, and i think 308 is overkill for this townie.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I think having a 223 and a 308 is the ideal combo.

Both are good for large game if you can accurately place your shots, as Akzle said shot placement is paramount and the animals need to be respected and killed as quickly and humanely as possible. Both are Sako mod 75s, the 308 finnlight has a 20 inch barrel and has had a DPT suppressor fitted since this pic, Ammo is Hornady SST 150grns and all head shots out to 230mts. the 223 is a tack driver and has shot hundreds of deer with only base of neck and head shots out to over 200mts.

Name:	P1020961forum.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	331017

Name:	IMG_0653forum.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	331016

PS they shoot just as many Redskins.
    Poor old santa will be on shankes pony this year .... A bit hard on the old duffers legs I reckon

Sent from my SC-01G using Tapatalk
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    a 20 inch barrel and has had a DPT suppressor fitted since this pic, Ammo is Hornady SST 150grns and all head shots out to 230mts. the 223 is a tack driver and has shot hundreds of deer with only base of neck and head shots out to over 200mts..
    longer barrels give more options, a semi with a short barrel limits you heaps imo, esp with a big round like 308.

had a turn on a supressed 308 the other day. not sure if it's a chambering issue, but it strings vertically HARD, so it's the first shot that counts (as everything). and shows blow by on the necks.

right on with the 223 though, perfectly adequate calibre for 95% of shots taken.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    some nice pink camo pants you have there too oldy!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    longer barrels give more options, a semi with a short barrel limits you heaps imo, esp with a big round like 308.

had a turn on a supressed 308 the other day. not sure if it's a chambering issue, but it strings vertically HARD, so it's the first shot that counts (as everything). and shows blow by on the necks.

right on with the 223 though, perfectly adequate calibre for 95% of shots taken.

I agree with the long barrels, we have a choice of 7mil rem mag or 300mag for the looong shots The 7mil rem mag is over kill on head shots, the 300 is worse.

Name:	imagejpeg_3_23forum.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	331018

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the long barrels, we have a choice of 7mil rem mag or 300mag for the looong shots The 7mil rem mag is over kill on head shots, the 300 is worse.

Name:	imagejpeg_3_23forum.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	331018
    i've delaminated a few animals in similar fashion. anything with "magnum" in the name, you buy pretty much just to say you have one...

Bike
    SV1000s
    Tactical imports LTD is importing POF AR10 A category $4800.
    A bit more expensive than I've seen in the past but still cheaper than GC.
    And it's piston driven so appeals to those who like a heavier platform HK style :-)

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I haven't hunted deer but have talked to guys who used to be professional cullers. Most used 303, some of them used 22cf, but they had dogs. They were of the view that if you were hunting reds without dogs you should use 308 or similar.

When I decide to sell off what I have here I'd like to buy a toy, say a carbine in 45 or maybe even 357, but the quality of the cheap ones is suspect and I don't need an exercise in frustration thanks.
    i havent seen them for a long while, but ruger did a 10/9mm (think their 10/22,but in 9mm para) which is almost as good as a pistol for chewing through your ammo. not much legs on it though.
    357 would be pretty schweet.

Bike
    i've delaminated a few animals in similar fashion. anything with "magnum" in the name, you buy pretty much just to say you have one...
    I regard Magnum more as a caliber description than the suggested status symbol, a bit like Ackley, Bee, Hornet, Swift etc not forgetting the .257 Roberts or Roberts improved or the great 3006 Springfield improved.

Like the .357 is a Magnum (rifle) that can use 110grn upto 180grn from memory

Now the .375 H & H Magnum is a beasty worth looking at, chucking a 235grn or 300grn pill at close or better than 308 velocities. lol

I did a lot of reloading in the old days , but these days simply for smacking vennies over for friends and family good quality Manufactured ammo is accurate and consistent enough.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    I regard Magnum more as a caliber description than the suggested status symbol, a bit like Ackley, Bee, Hornet, Swift etc not forgetting the .257 Roberts or Roberts improved or the great 3006 Springfield improved.

Like the .357 is a Magnum (rifle) that can use 110grn upto 180grn from memory

Now the .375 H & H Magnum is a beasty worth looking at, chucking a 235grn or 300grn pill at close or better than 308 velocities. lol

I did a lot of reloading in the old days , but these days simply for smacking vennies over for friends and family good quality Manufactured ammo is accurate and consistent enough.
    the 7 and 300 are "short magnums" - trying to pack more punch into a smaller cartridge, because racking a bolt a whole 3" is just too much work :

ackley improved were all good, larger powder capacities by steeper shoulder angles, more neck sizing, but better range of weights and velocites and a lot of room to play with seating depths.

bee hornet and swift were all just trade names innit?
    and never shot with the roberts or oughtsix improved so can't comment.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Magnums are the best in any shape or form

Sent from my SC-01G using Tapatalk
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    the 7 and 300 are "short magnums" - trying to pack more punch into a smaller cartridge, because racking a bolt a whole 3" is just too much work :

ackley improved were all good, larger powder capacities by steeper shoulder angles, more neck sizing, but better range of weights and velocites and a lot of room to play with seating depths.

bee hornet and swift were all just trade names innit?
    and never shot with the roberts or oughtsix improved so can't comment.
    Not so sure the 300 weatherby Magnum throwing around 85 grns of H4831 is a short magnum, only the 416Rigby and 460 weatherby Magnums throwing a bit more powder in the more common bang sticks, either way your right, we don't need the big cannons here in NZ, and many of my reloading mates get trapped into velocities instead of whats the most accurate and using a good range finder.

Thread Information