Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Exposure Tour Jan '08

Bike
    Whatever is in the garage - FXDC, Bking
    Blog Entries

Talking Northern Exposure Tour Jan '08

It's that time of the year again, no sooner we get through Christmas then it's 2008!! Qkchk and Qkkid have decided to announce the Northern Exposure Tour '08 for the Auckland Anniversary Weekend. (26th - 28th Jan 08)

What do we plan to do???
    Ride from Auckland up the West Coast via Waipoua Forest and Opononi to Kaitaia then to the Lighthouse @ Cape Reinga and then back down the East Coast via the Bay of Islands over 3 days. (With a bit of exploring in between)

The Tour Itineray:

Saturday 26th Jan
    - Meet @ Westgate Shell, head up SH16 to Wellsford
    - Join SH1 to Brynderwyn take Maungaturoto turn off along SH12
    - Pass through Dargaville, WAIPOUA FOREST (Can stop to see giant Kauri tree if need be) and Opononi.
    - Lunch can be at either Dargaville or Opononi depends on time.
    - Take the Vehicle Ferry from Rawene across to Kohukohu
    - Rejoin SH1 and shoot throught the Maungamuka Gorge to Kaitaia (Voted one of the best bit of twistes in NZ)
    - Time permitting and sore bums, could go out to Ahipara for a looksee etc..
    - Finish up for the first day @ Waipapakauri Ramp, Ninety Mile Beach Park over a couple of cold ones.

Sunday 27th Jan
    - Head North along SH1N past Houhora, Te Kao, to Waitiki Landing for Breakfast. (Very fast and beautiful roads)
    - If you want to see the Lighthouse (it is worth it) continue the ride up to the North Cape Lighthouse however the last 20kms IS IN GRAVEL! If you do not wish to ride in gravel you can stay @ Waitiki Landing for a cuppa or an extended brunch...
    - For those who have not been up to the cape, take the oppotunity to ride to the end of New Zealand, you cant go any further than the lighthouse! You can see where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. On a clear day you can also see the Three Kings Islands.
    - On return we drop in @ Houhora (Wagener Museum for a icecream) and head back down to Awanui to drop into the Ancient Kauri Kingdom (awesome walkthrough staircase inside a Kauri tree) www.ancientkauri.co.nz
    - Time permitting we could do a couple of more rides ... options open...maybe the Fish Shop @ Mangonui for a late lunch...
    - Ride back to Ninety Mile Beach Park for a drink or 5 and then settle in for a Lamb on the Spit Smorgasboard (Just ask Qkkid what he thinks of it!)

Monday 28th
    - Depart Waipapakauri Ramp head south on SH1 turn off @ Awanui onto SH10
    - Travel the Beautiful and picturesque East Coast down through Taipa, Coopers Beach, Cable Bay
    - Stop in @ Mangonui Fish Shop for the best seafood and Fish 'n Chips in the area (We could do this on Sat or Sun instead if time permits....)
    - Continue to head south via East Coast's beautifuls roads through Kaeo, Kerikeri, take a slight detour through Haruru Falls to Paihia, then past Opua to Kawakawa.
    - Rejoin SH1 to Whangarei then take the Waipu turnoff...... Waipu Cove, Mangawai back to Wellsford.
    - Crusie from Wellsford down for a Cuppa Tea @ The Maha's in Walkworth
    - Can go either way (SH1 or SH16 via Woodcocks Rd) but would recommend SH16 due to Long weekend traffic and WOODCOCKS Road .....
    - Fin.

This will be a MEDIUM PACED RIDE (open road crusing @ 120 if the coast is clear.... not warp speed, it IS touring not a trackday or the Coro Loop...) I have included a map so you can roughly see where the ride will be going.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    You will be responsible for your own cabin or tent site bookings, if you are on a budget why not get a bigger cabin and share the costs with others? Tent sites are available and are dirt cheap! When you book, can you please also make a booking for the Lamb on the Spit Smorgasboard (you wont regret it!) You can have book your accomodation for the 26th and 27th Jan with http://www.ninetymilebeach.co.nz/ or ring them on 0800-367-719. Me and Qkkid haven't booked yet but will be Mid-Nov.

In general the long weekend up north is fine weather, so lets hope nothing changes... The ride will be going ahead rain or shine..... Please show that you are attending by registering HERE.

For those who do not know us you can read about previous road trips we have conducted - Northland Exposure Tour '06 and write up HERE and KB Gathering Queens Birthday '07

Bike
    I just lost count
    Yea ok you can count me in. Whatever I had on that weekend I now dont.

Now who is keen on sharing a cabin, honest I only snore after I have been drinking.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Yea ok you can count me in. Whatever I had on that weekend I now dont.
    Ahh now that's the spirit - might take you up on the cabin just need to find out if I'm going to be 2up or not

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Qkchk View Post
    The Tour Itineray:
    Sadly we will have to decline the offer. We get back from camping at Ruakaka on the Saturday and on the Sunday we have a little one to get to the airport and a wedding anniversay to celebrate too, but.........

On Monday we should be at home, so.......want to add a pit stop at ours to your itineray? Just a thought. Weather will be beaut then, I promise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    On Monday we should be at home, so.......want to add a pit stop at ours to your itineray? Just a thought. Weather will be beaut then, I promise!
    Cuppa Tea at the Maha's just been added!

Shame you cant attend

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mom;1270470]on the Sunday we have a little one to get to the airport QUOTE]

SNAP!! I have to drop my ozzie son off at the airport to fly back to Brisbane. Maybe next morning I could shoot up to Mangonui for F&C breakfast! Love that shop, tide in you can see stingrays and sharks under you. I'll watch this thread then!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Suzuki B-King, Fatbob, YammyTricker
    bumpty bump

Learn to ride - Basic Skills Handling Testing
    NZTA Approved Motorcycle Instructor
    www.ridertraining.co.nz

Learn to Ride - Basic Handling Skills (BHS) Training and Testing - Onroad Coaching for Restricted/Full Licence Tests
    Auckland Training grounds 63 Mihini Road Henderson
    0800 LRN2RD Txt\ imessage 021878755 or 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Sprint
    This trip sounds awesome.... Im def in. I dont mind sharing a cabin as long as its female friendly lol eg. no ball scratching, burps in my face, excessive snoring, nakedness unless your built like a spartan and have something to look at. Prefer someone else to organize and just tell me how much and I will pay in advance.... roll on Jan
    --------------------------------------------------------

ANSWER = ID RATHER BE RIDING!
    ------------------------------------------------------

The ride sounds like fun! If the Duc's done by then - I'll be there...

Errm - A couple of suggestions?

Day 1: Instead of turning off to Mangamuka after the Kohukohu ferry, head straight on, and go up through Broadwood to Ahipara, then into Kaitaia. The roads been getting the big rebuild - but it was started from the Ahipara end - so if it's bad (it's sealed, just ROUGH in places), it'll get better further up. Someone may want to do a reconnaissance?

Day 2: After the Cape and back, do the run down the East Coast, then turn off at Kerikeri/airport roundabout, past KC airport, continue on (nice road, reas. good condition) through to Okaihau (SH1), then up SH1 over Mangamukas. WATCH OUT ON THE MANGAMUKAS - by this time (end Jan) of the year, the cheap tar they use on the roads is melting, and they dump fine river shingle/grit all over the roads! The Mangamukas is notoriously bad for it!

Day 3: If you're going past Opua, why not take the ferry to Russell, and then take the coast road down to Whangarei? ...it's fixed now! And a bloody good ride (but REALLY twisty)!

Cough - and the fish and chips at Mangonui may be good (can't vouch for recently) - but they're about THE most expensive in the country! Because they went all upmarket to capture the tourists, their prices went up accordingly. I still remember the days when it was 'just a chippie' with prices to suit. Mmmmm. Breakfast of fresh cooked snapper. Mmmmm. Last time we were there, they wanted something like $25kg for snapper, then the same again to cook it fresh! Fcuk THAT!

Should be a good ride!
    UKMC #64

Bike
    Suzuki A50
    Is there anybody in AK i can stay the 25th and night of the 29th with? I will be traveling up form prob. napier so it would be to much for the end days. Also anybody want to share a cabin with me?

Bike
    S1000RR
    Can I come? I'm on a 225cc Single Cylinder

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EJKDDORAI View Post
    Can I come? I'm on a 225cc Single Cylinder
    Well you dont seem to have too much trouble keeping up with us in the ATNR. Do ya reckon you could ride for 3 days in a row 300-400kms each day? Ride pace will be anywhere from 110-130kph.

www.Ridertraining.co.nz
    NZTA Approved CBTA Instructor Assessor
    - Restricted + Full Licence Training & Testing
    - Onroad Coaching & Training
    Auckland
    Call or Txt 0210334766
    info@ridertraining.co.nz

Bike
    S1000RR
    Yep I can harden up
    PM me more details by time to time (plus the prices too)
    I might be keen

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    I will be in - this was such a good trip last time.
    Wonder if I could affod the fuel bill if I take the RG500, and if it has enough tank range...?
    Geoff
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    It's my Daughter's Birthday that weekend but may be able to make the Maha's for tea

Thread Information