husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    clearly
    Still not gonna either..........
    I have been distracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

I used to know a couple of guys who resleeved concentrics, one of them probably still does. He used a piston grinding machine to size them. Back in the '70's we threw away the monoblocks and bought new concentrics because they were the latest and greatest, they flogged out real quick, they couldn't be repaired, so we tossed them and fitted Mikunis. Mid '70's I found a pair (actually 4) of brand new unused Monoblocks, they were great and a far superior carb than the concentric....but expensive and fiddly to make.

For a Commando I've always thought the side draught Weber or Delorto looked a better option, and I saw a few done back then.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Pat Thackwell in CHCH (hes dead now I am pretty sure) used to do a good trade in resleeving the MK1's, they are a silly design soft on soft wears fast. Sleeve them if you want to keep them they will last longer than the originals too.
    I can't remember what Pat used to do But Grumph will know.........
    Amal could make awesome carbs but they had to make them to a price and Norton BSA and Triumph wanted something cheap.
    If keeping original is not a problem (I couldn't be assed reading the thread) get a pair of new Mikunis or Keihins
    Pat was doing them well before any of the UK people were advertising the same. Bored the bodies and inserted a brass sleeve. Resurfaced OE slides. Very nice and sound engineering solution. Putting a brass sleeve on the slide still means boring the body as they are invariably out of round... Personally, I'd put a Mikuni kit on...

Re the attempts to run the modern Triumps in Dirt track...Same probs as when they ran the XS650 Yams. Wide crank and 180 deg timing make them hard to turn. The old 360deg Brit twins with a central flywheel were perfect for the job.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Still not gonna either..........
    I have been distracted.

re sleeving you palm?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Re the attempts to run the modern Triumps in Dirt track...Same probs as when they ran the XS650 Yams. Wide crank and 180 deg timing make them hard to turn. The old 360deg Brit twins with a central flywheel were perfect for the job.
    The Yamaha is a 360 crank, although they are easy to do an almost 270 on, the splines just don't quite line up. The Yamaha crank was too light for flattrack, and because they were 2 single cyl cranks side by side, the extra weight outside the centerline made them harder to turn. They still got sideways pretty well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XS1976Kenny.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	299251
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    The Yamaha is a 360 crank, although they are easy to do an almost 270 on, the splines just don't quite line up. The Yamaha crank was too light for flattrack, and because they were 2 single cyl cranks side by side, the extra weight outside the centerline made them harder to turn. They still got sideways pretty well.

Name:	XS1976Kenny.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	299251
    Allegedly the Honda Cb350 Crank is actually heaver than the XS650's crank............
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Allegedly the Honda Cb350 Crank is actually heaver than the XS650's crank............
    Well after battling with a CB 350 twin at HD last weekend I can say they sure can boogie.
    My mate on his 1050 struggled to beat the other one.
    1m20 around HD for a 40 year old 350 is amazing
    Who knows what they have done to them.
    The two Triumph 350's were about 10 seconds back and they don't hang around either.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    A bump for the Commando thread.
    One thing I have learned about Australia is if you work hard you give half of it away in tax.
    New Zealand according to my accountant last tax time has a much lower tax rate if you put the hours in.
    After being totally worked over and informed I will have to pay extra PAYE quarterly until June 30th next year it seemed like a good time to spend some money.

New Amal 932 Premiers for the 850 and a new cylinder head.

photo Fullauto head.jpg

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Your better off on the Access Norton forum.
    Full Auto heads are nice bits of kit.
    I've yet to fit the electric start kit to my Norton, too busy riding the BMW's

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Looks the biz..

Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    A bump for the Commando thread.
    One thing I have learned about Australia is if you work hard you give half of it away in tax.
    New Zealand according to my accountant last tax time has a much lower tax rate if you put the hours in.
    After being totally worked over and informed I will have to pay extra PAYE quarterly until June 30th next year it seemed like a good time to spend some money.

New Amal 932 Premiers for the 850 and a new cylinder head.

What's the damage for the new head...& kindly - if it aint too big an ask - put it up on the 'Bucket foundry' thread - as an example?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    What's the damage for the new head...& kindly - if it aint too big an ask - put it up on the 'Bucket foundry' thread - as an example?
    Around $ 3000 AU.
    You can spend a lot of money on a Commando as the original engineering is pretty average by BMW standards.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Ta for that Johnny..

At ~$AU 3,000- http://roadnrace.com.au/servicing.php yeah, you'd have to be hooked on Norton..

It even makes these equivalents for another contemporary classic look reasonable-ish: https://sso-bikes.de/shop/

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    At ~$AU 3,000- http://roadnrace.com.au/servicing.php yeah, you'd have to be hooked on Norton..

It even makes these equivalents for another contemporary classic look reasonable-ish: https://sso-bikes.de/shop/
    I saw a chart of miles done on Commandos a few years ago, seems to inversely proportional to money spent on them to go faster.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Sorry about the delay, it was back to the Pilbara with it being a short swing so heading back to the east coast next Sunday.

These Fullauto heads look good but it seems these later ones have little quality control and there is no real warranty.
    This one will need some work before it is usable, Kibblewhite valves etc should be on the way this week.
    I had considered sending the 850's RH10 to Jim Comstock (He did an RH1 for my 750) for reconditioning along with replacement inserts for the exhaust ports but elected to go the new head route for long term reliability.
    Commando's are fine stock when gone over, pretty much like any 40+ year old bike, it seems some folk get caught up in memories of the old days but to my way of thinking you get back what you put in but do not need to go silly on go faster parts which is debatable at best and one part can lead to needing another and so on.
    This bike will remain stock except for the head and Pazon ignition.

Hope all is well in Old Zealand. (Sobering to read of the latest earthquakes)

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    After some months of sorting out the Trade Me purchase fitting electric starter took it out for test run and WOF.

Takes a while to get used to riding position and right hand 1 up 3 down gears in Auckland traffic but eventually got hang of it.

After getting WOF and forking out $54.00 for a years rego popped into Carbon Garage for a coffee.

There was another bloke there having a cuppa and he was on an almost identical bike other than being an 850.

Did another 50 miles around the Airport and Mangere.

Other than the feet being further forward than the BMW's its quite fun to ride, certainly sounds like a proper

motorcycle.

Name:	IMG_1640_zpsivsbd1iu.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	331831

Next of the list is recommission the Ducati Darmah as $54.00 rego in Jan

Thread Information