Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Pero Motofest Hampton Downs March 3 and 4

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Mike Pero Motofest Hampton Downs March 3 and 4

MotoFest will feature a new international race – the South Pacific Classic – featuring legends from the past. With the assistance of Kiwi racing identities, Graeme Crosby and Paul Treacy, Hampton Downs has attracted a host of great names including Mamola, Slight, four times world champion Hugh Anderson, Kiwi internationals Stuart Avant, Richard Scott and Andrew Stroud, along with GP racer and TV commentator Steve Parrish, Australian GP star Kevin Magee, and Jeremy Burgess.
    The event will double as a round of the New Zealand Superbike Championship, featuring Superbikes, sidecars and other championship categories. Track time will be available for amateur riders and bike clubs to enjoy a slow cruise or a high adrenalin lap around the Hampton Downs track.
    Steve Parrish will host a gala dinner event on the Saturday night, featuring all the legends in attendance and no doubt some great yarns from Mamola
    Extensive ( packed) looking program.

https://hamptondowns.com/wp-content/...8-Schedule.pdf

( someone might be able to post the program up)
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    What an absolutely stunning event. I doubt NZ has seen anything like this for a long time, certainly not the North Island anyway.
    The effort to put this together must have been enormous.
    Well done to those involved.

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    Dead right Steve, and they have missed out the fact that Tom Dermody will be firing up his Aprilia MotoGP bike, no idea who will be the rider but the thing sounds HORN !! In spite of the rather packed recent race schedule, a meeting with this stunning format deserves every possible support, so please drag your mates down for a perve !

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Dead right Steve, and they have missed out the fact that Tom Dermody will be firing up his Aprilia MotoGP bike, no idea who will be the rider but the thing sounds HORN !! In spite of the rather packed recent race schedule, a meeting with this stunning format deserves every possible support, so please drag your mates down for a perve !
    Tom told me 10 days back, Paul Byrne.

I guess the question was whether it was going to be ready in time. I heard it came straight here to NZ to Paul Tracey. Then they struggled to get 16.5 inch rears.....I spotted some second hand ones for sale and Got Stu Avant on to them.

Will be interesting - out of Tom and Stu's stable will be the Aprilia, the YZR500, RGB500 and not sure what else. Alan de Latour is entered on his Mk 1 RG500, I'll have my TZ750 there to make some noise and see if I can get it to stop wobbling long enough to get into 5th gear!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    What an absolutely stunning event. I doubt NZ has seen anything like this for a long time, certainly not the North Island anyway.
    The effort to put this together must have been enormous.
    Well done to those involved.
    See you there no doubt! Got to applaud the guys for trying hard - I expect it won't be perfect and issues will come up, but good on them for stepping outside the box - though people have been pretty scathing of it, without actually seeing if it works.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    See you there no doubt! Got to applaud the guys for trying hard - I expect it won't be perfect and issues will come up, but good on them for stepping outside the box - though people have been pretty scathing of it, without actually seeing if it works.
    the concept is what we've been asking for and wanting for years, bring it on

Bike
    Tom told me 10 days back, Paul Byrne.

I guess the question was whether it was going to be ready in time. I heard it came straight here to NZ to Paul Tracey. Then they struggled to get 16.5 inch rears.....I spotted some second hand ones for sale and Got Stu Avant on to them.

Will be interesting - out of Tom and Stu's stable will be the Aprilia, the YZR500, RGB500 and not sure what else. Alan de Latour is entered on his Mk 1 RG500, I'll have my TZ750 there to make some noise and see if I can get it to stop wobbling long enough to get into 5th gear!
    Pretty good day today with most sessions running pretty well. The Double bastard corner is quite bumpy, but the bikes seem to roll over okay. I think one blown engine from a race bike later in the day and an oil drop which got sorted. Unfortunately the Aprilia CRT MotoGP bike will be a no show. It was there today, but Paul Byrne had an issue at Turn 1 and tipped it upside down on the brakes, Paul being choppered out later on. Heard a broken collar bone. Bike is a bit second hand. Not heard too much how Paul is yet.

The TR750 Suzuki Robbie Phillis was supposed to be riding had a mechanical issue, so I've agreed for him to ride my TZ750 in the legends parades. he's had some good time on a 750 over the years originally racing for Milledge in South Australia on one. he's going to help me with a bit of set up.

Magoo, Stavros, Mamola all circulating on the RGB's and YZR. Joking with Magoo later as he's never been to HD so was learning his way around. I Succeeded with my only chance to ride around the side of a 500 Grand prix winner .

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Bugger looks like a good event.
    i am doubling the IQ of NZ ATM. So Cannane make it.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Went along today to spectate.
    Very well run event with parking for cars right at the rear of the track and bikes at the front.
    International track looks like a lot of fun with a series of bends making up the infield before rejoining the original main track.
    As mentioned by Malcy 25 Bastards Corner looks to have a bump, but did not seem to be causing any issues, but you could see some bikes twitching.
    Did not appear to be many punters for the track day sessions, from where I was looked to be some HD's and even Can Am's with a few other bikes.
    Pits are open to public and the standard of pit presentation was impressive.
    There are displays of two Britten's the Aero as well as other GP bikes along with trade stands.
    You can get a poster of all the guest riders and they are all there happy to sign them.

All in all a good day out.
    My only complaint was they could have ditched the public track time and had Pre 72's along.
    Get along there tomorrow and enjoy a great day of motorcycling and come back on the 25th to see Classic Racing on the National Circuit.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    My only complaint was they could have ditched the public track time and had Pre 72's along.
    :
    do you have lights on ya bike?

Bike
    Long days, but well run and just a top weekend racing and just a fantastic event with great crowd. Can't remember a better NZ event in my lifetime.

Here's some on bike footage from Robbie Phillis on my TZ750 yesterday. The grid walk was a top idea as was getting the top superbike guys on the grid too, with their bikes.

Robbie's view was , if you are going to do a display, at least make it look good! He's out with Croz, Parrish, Mamola, Gary Goodfellow, Aaron Slight etc. he ended up in the display setting a time that would have put him second pre 82 bike in qualifying behind Dennis Charlett and 7th or so on the grid. Alex had flogged his knee scrapers and he said in full attack mode he'd easily drop the 6 seconds to put it on pole. Lol, I'd struggle to put it with 15 seconds of Pole!

Tacho battery died unfortunately and the new battery I charged overnight I missed collecting off the charger. Robbie was having a couple of problems getting 1st gear while we played with lever height and leverage ratio for him. He likes using the rear brake a lot which actually caught him out a bit here and in the previous sessions faded a bit on him!

But fair cop, by this session, he had it well pinned in places and he's just such a top guy to work with. Hilarious off the bike, very thankful of the ride and dead serious on the bike. He had a tear in his eye everytime he got off, especially the last session as he just loved racing one of these 39 years ago.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Thanks for posting Malcy25, I have a pulse again , cheers.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Thanks for posting Malcy25, I have a pulse again , cheers.
    did you enjoy the meeting ?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    did you enjoy the meeting ?
    Does a bear shit in the woods! Though I might have used a few extra heart beats over the weekend with Robbie on the big dog....

Bike
    suzuki

Robbie's view was , if you are going to do a display, at least make it look good!
    i thoroughly enjoyed the meeting, was interesting for me as i've commentated for every minute of the last eight years at the nzsbk so was going to make the most of a weekend off. I don't normally enjoy motorcycle racing as I just slip into a zone and produce the goods required for the day and relax and enjoy myself afterwards, being able to do what i want was great, many a time i was punching the air with my fist cheering people onj and i also could be selfish and watch one rider for a lap, or a race etc, rather than everyone.
    i was a little dissapointed with the legends parade as they all go around in one big lump meaning there's a lot of dead track in between and one can't hear the individual bikes which is a huge part of the experience, just an observation really.
    good on those who came through with the goods, and had the balls and the coin to make it happen.

Thread Information