Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roads don't cause crashes- bad driving behaviour does

Bike
    Indian Scout

Roads don't cause crashes- bad driving behaviour does

For years we hear people blame our road construction for crashes. It's because of the dangerous twisty roads, the hills, the gullies all used as excuses for crashes. It's the hills fault, it's the narrowness, it's the incline or the decline, the curve or the drop-off at the road side fault.

If only we had long straight roads with perfect visibility for miles then we would all be safe.

Well we do. It's called the Canterbury plains from Christchurch to Timaru and it is the most boring stretch of road ever. Yet so many people seem to be unable to navigate it's deceptive nature.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/121...near-ashburton
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...anterbury?rm=a
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...istchurch?rm=a
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...police-pursuit
    https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star...sh-near-rakaia

All above on straight roads with clear visibility. Maybe, Just maybe, it's time to focus on driver skills and driver attention. Anyone driving with a phone in their hand should have the phone crushed in front of them on the spot. Second offence, cut off the hand.

From all my years on the road observing crap behaviour, it's crossing the centre line and cutting corners that scares me the most. Yet little educational enforcement seems to be done to address this. Left unchecked it becomes second nature to use both sides of the road whenever it suits.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post

If only we had long straight roads with perfect visibility for miles then we would all be safe.

Well we do. It's called the Canterbury plains from Christchurch to Timaru and it is the most boring stretch of road ever. Yet so many people seem to be unable to navigate it's deceptive nature.
    I usually avoid it as much as possible a hug the ranges where ever possible.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    All above on straight roads with clear visibility. Maybe, Just maybe, it's time to focus on driver skills and driver attention. Anyone driving with a phone in their hand should have the phone crushed in front of them on the spot. Second offence, cut off the hand.

From all my years on the road observing crap behaviour, it's crossing the centre line and cutting corners that scares me the most. Yet little educational enforcement seems to be done to address this. Left unchecked it becomes second nature to use both sides of the road whenever it suits.
    How pertinent. Exactly this behaviour has been grinding my gears lately, too. So many drivers, head down, phone in hand.

Some incompetent prick caused me to swerve off the road mid corner yesterday, as they blithley crossed the centre line straight towards me. Absolutely no attempt to adjust their line.

I want an RPG.

Oh, as for dangerous roads. Anyone seen the regular carnage on US interstates?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    Failing to keep left: For years I have been going on about this and also failing to give way to the right. Admission. Driving in my car south of Kaikoura in the wet I found myself going into an "s" bend too quickly. I instantly checked ahead (no traffic) and decided that rather than try and stay on my own side of the white line and risk losing traction (hydroplaning on a smooth blacktop) and losing control I would cut the corner and straddle the white line. Instantly busted by the Traffic Police. I admitted that I had made a mistake (no excessive speed, though) and the officer let me off with a warning. They're not all bad.

General driving ability: Appalling. The consequence of this is that all road speed limits are set to the absolute lowest ability of the most useless person behind a steering wheel. The byproduct for the government is massive income by way of speeding fines. It's just a game. We're all players and we're being played. Pay up and shut up, it's never going to change.

I believe that all youngsters should be made to spend 6 months on a 50cc scooter prior to obtaining a car driver's license. Motorcycling makes you very, very defensive and aware of what's happening on the road when you don't have a cage around you and that mind set carries on for the rest of your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Wearing a hoody and cap doesn't do much help for ones peripheral vision either.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    Failing to keep left: For years I have been going on about this and also failing to give way to the right. Admission. Driving in my car south of Kaikoura in the wet I found myself going into an "s" bend too quickly. I instantly checked ahead (no traffic) and decided that rather than try and stay on my own side of the white line and risk losing traction (hydroplaning on a smooth blacktop) and losing control I would cut the corner and straddle the white line. Instantly busted by the Traffic Police. I admitted that I had made a mistake (no excessive speed, though) and the officer let me off with a warning. They're not all bad.

General driving ability: Appalling. The consequence of this is that all road speed limits are set to the absolute lowest ability of the most useless person behind a steering wheel. The byproduct for the government is massive income by way of speeding fines. It's just a game. We're all players and we're being played. Pay up and shut up, it's never going to change.

I believe that all youngsters should be made to spend 6 months on a 50cc scooter prior to obtaining a car driver's license. Motorcycling makes you very, very defensive and aware of what's happening on the road when you don't have a cage around you and that mind set carries on for the rest of your life.
    Dunno about all riders getting the defensive message. I would guestimate that more than 50% of the riders I see up here, on our lovely, twisty roads have a centre line fixation. Sometimes I wonder if the road paint used is magnetic.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Dunno about all riders getting the defensive message. I would guestimate that more than 50% of the riders I see up here, on our lovely, twisty roads have a centre line fixation. Sometimes I wonder if the road paint used is magnetic.
    its not just me that thinks that then?

Have you ever noticed video reviews of motorcycles online always show the test rider hugging the centre line? Which side of the road you drive/ride on is immaterial.
    It scares me when I watch riders here take a right hand bend with their head hanging over the centre line. Too often I have seen this and watched in amazement as they come too close for comfort with oncoming traffic and then repeat the same mistake 2kms down the road.
    Too much reliance on what others do to keep us from dying, road engineers included as per the OP.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    its not just me that thinks that then?

Have you ever noticed video reviews of motorcycles online always show the test rider hugging the centre line? Which side of the road you drive/ride on is immaterial.
    It scares me when I watch riders here take a right hand bend with their head hanging over the centre line. Too often I have seen this and watched in amazement as they come too close for comfort with oncoming traffic and then repeat the same mistake 2kms down the road.
    Too much reliance on what others do to keep us from dying, road engineers included as per the OP.
    Yep - This illustrates my point about the campaign against speeding and how inadequate it is. No focus on getting the basics right just the message of 'Slow down and it'll all be OK'.

On the flip side there's some sense being spoken with the NZTA adverts showing the bikers riding along talking about respecting the ride and getting into your flow. I just wish that the existing road code rules were more vigorously applied - That might help...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Don't you just line it up with the steering wheel?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Yep - This illustrates my point about the campaign against speeding and how inadequate it is. No focus on getting the basics right just the message of 'Slow down and it'll all be OK'.

On the flip side there's some sense being spoken with the NZTA adverts showing the bikers riding along talking about respecting the ride and getting into your flow. I just wish that the existing road code rules were more vigorously applied - That might help...
    We have a lovely, big yellow sign just before entering some local twisties. It shows a bike leant over, with Enter wide, Exit tight, written below it. There is some effort going into education.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    It was on the good
    If there is nothing coming and you can see that there is nothing coming then there is no extra risk cutting a corner.

Cue the usual comments about how staying in your lane shows better skills, you don't need to cut corners and how it automatically means you will cut a corner when you cannot see through it. No it doesn't. People who cut corners when they cannot see through them are idiots. They scare me as well.

Guess everyone will be happy when there is wire rope down the middle of every major road to stop it happening. I don't know about you, but if I slightly overcook a left hander I would rather risk going just over the centre line and 99 percent of the time getting away with it than clanking off a barrier that is there 100 percent of the time.

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    If there is nothing coming and you can see that there is nothing coming then there is no extra risk cutting a corner.
    Please keep left. You're a danger to yourself and other road users. For example, thirty years ago I started an overtaking manoeuvre thinking I had clear road ahead and unlimited visibility. I was well committed and a car appeared "out of nowhere" from the shadow of some trees and it was nearly a multiple fatality. Keep left and don't cut corners. It's easy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about you, but if I slightly overcook a left hander I would rather risk going just over the centre line and 99 percent of the time getting away with it than clanking off a barrier that is there 100 percent of the time.
    Bear in mind it’s not just you you’re putting at risk, but the poor bugger coming in the opposite direction.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

Cue the usual comments about how staying in your lane shows better skills, you don't need to cut corners and how it automatically means you will cut a corner when you cannot see through it. No it doesn't. People who cut corners when they cannot see through them are idiots. They scare me as well.

Guess everyone will be happy when there is wire rope down the middle of every major road to stop it happening. I don't know about you, but if I slightly overcook a left hander I would rather risk going just over the centre line and 99 percent of the time getting away with it than clanking off a barrier that is there 100 percent of the time.
    Those sorts of casual attitudes towards the oncoming lane are part of the problem. No, there is extra risk, both legal and real to life, and not just your own. I'm sure plenty of people would say, oh, there is no extra risk in doing xyz... until (if they're lucky) they're suddenly campaigning to raise awareness of whatever they did and survived.

Start with following the road rules, because if you're unable to stay in your lane because you "overcook" it, then it's a problem and it's a matter of time before you go from getting away with it, to causing injury/death. Simple example, I sold my first bike to a learner. He ran wide on a corner while learning, there was a 4WD coming the other way. He didn't get another chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Habits count. When you get tired you'll revert to what you do most often, good or bad. I've had a number of near misses over the years and pretty well all of them were 100% on me... good training and good habits from the start would have prevented most of them but it took me a while to twig.

Nerrd's comment about the poor bugger coming in the opposite direction brings back a memory... Buller Gorge, summertime two-ish years ago... the number of projecting-like-hell oncoming riders (mostly on Harleys or similar) was unreal. I found myself having to stay tight left on left handers by default, there were times when the oncoming rider was half in their lane and half in mine. There were campervans etc too, it isn't that wide a road.

Thread Information