Thread: Front brake line burst... I'm off in 10 days.

Bike
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Front brake line burst... I'm off in 10 days.

Just had the front brake line burst on the '01 BMW r1150gs.

I'm leaving in 10 days for the Burt Munro .. supposed to anyway.

OPTIONS:

-Call Cyclospot first thing tomorrow to see if they got a replacement that they can sell me or if they can fit me in for a service in the next 10 days and they do it.

-Order the parts online...will have to be shipped from overseas and won't be here on time.

-Order just one custom line from https://nz.helperformance.com/ for the main time so I can get going...

Anybody got a better idea or know where to source brake lines for a r1150gs in NZ?

Number 4 in the microfiche below is what I need:
    https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2001/R1...tml#PartsTable

Bike
    suzuki
    try BMW first, otherwise brake lines are much the same, apart from length... more importantly why did it do this? do the others need attention too?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    Just had the front brake line burst on the '01 BMW r1150gs.

I'm leaving in 10 days for the Burt Monro .. supposed to anyway.

OPTIONS:

-Call Cyclospot first thing tomorrow to see if they got a replacement that they can sell me or if they can fit me in for a service in the next 10 days and they do it.

-Order the parts online...will have to be shipped from overseas and won't be here on time.

-Order just one custom line from https://nz.helperformance.com/ for the main time so I can get going...

Anybody got a better idea or know where to source brake lines for a r1150gs in NZ?

Number 4 in the microfiche below is what I need:
    https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2001/R1...tml#PartsTable
    Just a thought ... there might be a BMW Dealer in Auckland.

Is there ANY reason to believe YOUR Motorcycle is so rare ... and all it's parts are so specific to the model YOU have ... that it is unlikely to be fitted to ANY other BMW model ... and unlikely to be in a parts department of a BMW Rep ... anywhere in NZ .. ???

Just a thought ... give your local dealer a ring. You only have 10 days ... ring NOW and leave a message.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2014 BMW G650GS
    Experience BMW Kingsland ........ The BMW shop Glendene

Bike
    2001 BMW R1150GS
    Ok Thanks I'll call all 3 dealers tomorrow, otherwise yes I suppose a brake line is a brake line so I could just fit something from another bike.

It burst while I was flushing the system. Probably weaken + air bubble and just gave up. The bike has only done 35K but it is 20 years old.

Time to change all lines to braided as soon as possible but hopefully can do the Burt Munro.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Jesus that's scary. An air bubble is like a shock absorber so less pressure on the system not more. You are Auckland based so you could get a HEL line. Used to be made by Alert but they are gone and some rally chap took over, that might have changed so call and tell them you predicament.

Take old lines in as the angle of the fittings are critical on a bike as the runs are so short. Should be able to fit a banjo bolt in both ends of two lines siamesed up without twisting.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2001 BMW R1150GS
    Took the front brake lines off and handed them over to the guys at ttps://www.thebmshop.nz/ to have them replaced with custom-made braided ones.

Hopefully should have new braided lines back in a couple of days, will update you on the experience in case anybody else ends up in my predicament.

Bike
    suzuki

It burst while I was flushing the system. Probably weaken + air bubble and just gave up. The bike has only done 35K but it is 20 years old.
    air compresses at a different rate to fluid, hence spongy brakes when there's air in them, so if anything they should have been less prone to stress, whatever it is ditch the whole lot, the force on the lines when braking is much more than when flushing, and of course the results are not worth thinking about

Bike
    2001 BMW R1150GS
    Update: Th Bmshop in Gleneden sorted me with new braided front brake lines. Good service and good prices. Highly recommended. Braking feels much better than before.
    Will change the rear ones as well once I'm back from the south island.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    So was the trip worth it?
    (Did you get much rain, have a good trip etc?)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2001 BMW R1150GS

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    So was the trip worth it?
    (Did you get much rain, have a good trip etc?)
    Really worth it, got a bit wet just getting into southland, wind was a pain on a big bike.
    Stranded before timaru with a broken tire valve, a good farmer gave me his car to take the wheel in town and get it replaced.
    Most people at the rally were actually quite nice and well behaved, much better than I expected it.
    I didn't even get too much shit being on a GS and wearing bmw gear... Thats a first

Bike
    Really worth it, got a bit wet just getting into southland, wind was a pain on a big bike.
    Stranded before timaru with a broken tire valve, a good farmer gave me his car to take the wheel in town and get it replaced.
    Most people at the rally were actually quite nice and well behaved, much better than I expected it.
    I didn't even get too much shit being on a GS and wearing bmw gear... Thats a first

Good to hear you enjoyed the rally, I was there , did you see me? I was the guy in black leathers!

On a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor.

As you said the weather was crap for the last twenty km before Invercargill but then for the rest of the rally it was great.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Good to hear you enjoyed the rally, I was there , did you see me? I was the guy in black leathers!

On a Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor.

As you said the weather was crap for the last twenty km before Invercargill but then for the rest of the rally it was great.
    you sell the harley Mr Scumdog?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    you sell the harley Mr Scumdog?
    Yup.

Thought I'd have a change of direction - nothing against the HD products.

So far pretty pleased with the Royal Enfield, like the traditional styling and it handles well. (for me anyway, experienced sports bike riders may disagree)

Thread Information