Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Four dead and two hurt today

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Well, perhaps Rastus can confirm ACC claims, but figured I would jump in with some numbers as well. Seems like an annual thing.

45 fatal crashes in 2017 involving motorbikes. Down from 55 the year before and 53 the year before that. Through the 80’s it was triple digits every year, peaking at 148 in 1987. Fell throughout the 90’s to 42 in 1999 then dropped in to the 30’s every year from 2000 until 2007 when it hit 40. Went to 50 in 2008 and has been bouncing around since then with only one year in the 30’s. Many reasons for those changes and no real need to go off the deep end due to one bad weekend.

So 45 fatal crashes last year, 50 bikes. Five crashes involved two bikes. In four of those crashes all eight bikes were Harleys which I found interesting and probably suggests something. So in order of appearance -

16 Harley
    7 Suzuki
    7 Yamaha
    5 Honda
    4 Triumphs
    2 each BMW, Ducati and Kawasaki
    1 each Can Am, Moto Guzzi, MV Augusta, SYM and TGB (mopeds)

As always, without actual data as to how many of each type of bike is on the road these figures are rather meaningless, but good to point fingers. Even with the number registered we don’t know how many km each one does, in what conditions etc etc etc. So you've got to be careful when someone says X is worse than Y because Y could be worse than X, it depends what is being pushed and by whom. Hello ACC. Note, no fault is implied in any of this, it is just the bikes involved.

I’m going to assume we can call all the Harleys cruisers here, so based on the model recorded I would say this –

21 cruisers
    20 sport
    4 off road style
    2 proper off road
    2 moped
    1 Can am

The sports class is actually a bit vague, I have lumped your VTR250, XJ600 and a K1200 in there as well. It is everything that is not lean back cruiser or stand on pegs on gravel stylee.

So yeah, a few interesting things jump out. Nine out of ten crashes were on a dry road. You’d normally expect more wet road crashes than that so it does suggest a bit of fair weather riding. One quarter of the crashes were on a Sunday which is high as well. Alcohol and/or drugs were a factor in nearly half of all of these crashes. And we argue about hi-viz.

I could go on but Coro is about to start.

No KTMs then, must be the high viz orange
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    They break down before they get a chance to crash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    well... if you mean older riders on a club pub crawl riding bad performing boat anchors... opps I mean fundraising ride... then yeah

the Pike river ride, just took this off stuff " A motorcyclist died while paying tribute to the men who died in the Pike River explosion" if you call flipping a mates bike cos mate says it wont wheelie, then tearing off and whiten 1k of the pub arse off and kill ya pillion... then fuck tributes

the two down south on a "fundraiser" if i am correct it was the brotherhood, just another MC out on a pub crawl... with a bullshit excuse fundraising in order to look better in the public's eyes...

other wise mate dont blame "middle aged men" dont blame "cruisers" but by all means blame the piss and the fuckwits that drink and drive.
    Wasn't blaming anyone, just not surprised at the demograph. I know that 95% are fantastic riders, but the minority ruin it as always.

Like young shitheads in shit box cars killing their mates.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    I think most of them are so fucking ugly the Police think they have already been t-boned so have given up reporting them.

No offence.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    I think most of them are so fucking ugly the Police think they have already been t-boned so have given up reporting them.

No offence.
    None taken infact I cant stop grinning, the thing posessed me

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

No offence.
    KTM Sunday, ATM Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    KTM Sunday, ATM Monday.
    Yep, Michelin Mondays

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    No apostrophe used in plural of "homo".....
    Sorry to prick your bubble but 'homo' is an abbreviation of 'homosexual', therefore the apostrophe replaces the removed letters.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    well... riding home from a rally yesterday and had a close call... with a fucking motorcyclist wearing hi-viz... must a thought they had super powers whit it on or some shit.

came around a right hand sweeper at 100k on my side of the rd to find another bike coming straight at me, they were indicating right to turn onto a side road mid sweeper... fuckwit was cutting the corner instead of sitting near the center line till the side road then turning.. im thinking they were fucking lazy and not wanting to scrub to much speed off to turn...
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    well... riding home from a rally yesterday and had a close call... with a fucking motorcyclist wearing hi-viz... must a thought they had super powers whit it on or some shit.

came around a right hand sweeper at 100k on my side of the rd to find another bike coming straight at me, they were indicating right to turn onto a side road mid sweeper... fuckwit was cutting the corner instead of sitting near the center line till the side road then turning.. im thinking they were fucking lazy and not wanting to scrub to much speed off to turn...
    Well hopefully they've woken up and won't do it again!! Near miss bad but not as bad as it could have been.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Well hopefully they've woken up and won't do it again!! Near miss bad but not as bad as it could have been.
    ohh I bet they will... to many riders are becoming complacent and older riders like me are shockers... habits become bad habits which you end up doing with out relising so one day like this person ya make a move like you have done many a time but forget each time has a different senaro

near miss BUT not as bad... thats a crappy thing to say, near miss should NOT happen
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    ohh I bet they will... to many riders are becoming complacent and older riders like me are shockers... habits become bad habits which you end up doing with out relising so one day like this person ya make a move like you have done many a time but forget each time has a different senaro

near miss BUT not as bad... thats a crappy thing to say, near miss should NOT happen
    Yes. I wrote: near miss BAD but not as BAD as could have happened. Used the word twice in the same sentence deliberately. Agree, near miss should not happen in the first place.

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Celebrate that it's not far worse

All this hand wringing about the road deaths.

Considering the behaviour of motorcyclists I see most days, I'm thrilled that the road death stats aren't far worse.

Yesterday I was north on Johns Rod, going through the Harewood Road roundabout. It's a beautifully engineered road, plenty of room in both lanes each way, two lanes on the roundabout. I was in the left lane in fairly routine heavy traffic, 4.45 p.m. commute, approaching the roundabout.

Before the roundabout I saw a bloke on a red SV650 coming up the breakdown shoulder, illegally overtaking the slow moving traffic on the left. It's fairly common, and isn't too much of a problem. I kept an eye on his progress in my left mirror. I was in my car. As I entered the roundabout the idiot was just next to the car behind me, and kept making progress so that as I was in the roundabout, in the left lane going straight through, he was trying to pass me on the left.

But the traffic on my left was creeping, so suddenly he had to brake. Oddly, they didn't expect him to be there.

That sort of risk taking is endemic in our community. And because he does it every day (I'm guessing) he'll just keep doing it.

Celebrate that the numbers aren't far worse.

Harrumph.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Celebrate that the numbers aren't far worse.
    There's hope for you yet.

There's almost 4 million vehicles on NZ roads, if each of them goes for a daily drive and passes just 0.1% of the others on the road without incident then that's 16,000,000,000 potential accidents.

And that's just vehicle vs vehicle accidents, if you include potential accidents involving landscape there's almost limitless opportunities.

Isn't it more rational to appreciate and acknowledge that the chance of an accident has been managed to such a tiny degree for each of those drivers than to simply point at the number of failures, (which continue to diminish in spite of the huge growth in them numbers up there) and claim that the sky is falling?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    There's hope for you yet.

There's almost 4 million vehicles on NZ roads, if each of them goes for a daily drive and passes just 0.1% of the others on the road without incident then that's 16,000,000,000 potential accidents.

And that's just vehicle vs vehicle accidents, if you include potential accidents involving landscape there's almost limitless opportunities.

Isn't it more rational to appreciate and acknowledge that the chance of an accident has been managed to such a tiny degree for each of those drivers than to simply point at the number of failures, (which continue to diminish in spite of the huge growth in them numbers up there) and claim that the sky is falling?
    I pretty much feel this way. Despite the muppetry on daily display the actual toll is startlingly low.

Nevertheless, still plenty of room for improvement.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information