Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Hazard Lights

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750 SD 2007 Buell XB12Ss
    The reason I started this thread is because I know that few people realise how useful hazard lights can be at times, especially to let a following driver or rider know that something is prompting the bloke ahead to activate the hazards so I'll give him some space. I can guarantee that it works. Even old ladies catch on.

Critics, please read the opening post again - calmly.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamA View Post
    Hazard lights are great to have IMHO. They can be used to say, 'I am posing a hazard to you.' and 'You are posing a hazard to me.' They can also be saying to oncoming drivers, 'There is a hazard behind me which you are approaching.' That's what vehicles coming towards you are doing when they have flashing lights and often a sign telling of a hazard which they are leading.

From my observations few drivers and riders use their hazard lights when it would be better if they did. My advice is to avoid bikes which don't have them and to learn how to use them readily when you do have them.

Often I'll use the hazard lights when a vehicle is following me too closely and it is invariably effective in getting them to drop back.
    How are YOU posing a hazard to other road users?

How are THEY posing a hazard to you?

The reason I started this thread is because I know that few people realise how useful hazard lights can be at times, especially to let a following driver or rider know that something is prompting the bloke ahead to activate the hazards so I'll give him some space. I can guarantee that it works. Even old ladies catch on.

Okay, if you're approaching, say, stock on the road then putting your hazard lights on could be argued as sensible. When else would you suggest such action should be taken?

Bike
    A vehicle following me too closely is posing a hazard to me. It affects how I can brake if necessary. If the hazard light lights don't do the trick I just quietly slow a bit to increase the clear space ahead. If you can't understand that you might need help.

Bike
    It was on the good
    If you can't understand that you might need help.
    Have you been introduced to cassina yet? She has the same tone if someone dares to disagree with an opinion.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    A vehicle following me too closely is posing a hazard to me. It affects how I can brake if necessary. If the hazard light lights don't do the trick I just quietly slow a bit to increase the clear space ahead. If you can't understand that you might need help.
    Okay.

First, I'd suggest that a vehicle following too closely is a "threat" rather than hazard, but that's probably semantics.

Why are you introducing another aspect to the dynamics of the situation - your hazard lights?

You can increase the gap in front of you by just easing off the throttle or by maintaining the same throttle and "dabbing" your brake lever enough to flash your brake lights.

If they are too close, why are you not pulling over to let them pass/overtake?

But what about the other situations?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    When I worked on the roads I used to see lots of cars put their hazards on for all sorts of reasons.
    I think they must be fantastic.
    They seem to make you invulnerable and superhuman and put an invisible super barrier between your vehicle and the rest of the real world,
    They let you:
    -stop in the middle of the road
    -reverse out of driveways into heavy traffic
    -go the wrong way on the motorway and ramps
    -tow overloaded trailers
    -overtake on blind corners...(or is that ski-racks..?)
    -slow down for scenery
    -stop for ducks

Wonderful things, hazard lights
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    A
    Using hazard lights on a moving vehicle...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Okay.

First, I'd suggest that a vehicle following too closely is a "threat" rather than hazard, but that's probably semantics.
    Anything else on the road is a threat. Be it have 2, 3, 4 (or more) wheels (or legs). Hazard lights will not change their intentions ... at best just delay them.

Their use just leads to a false sense of security in your own head. People take just as much notice of them as the "Baby on board" signs that some like to hang in the back window of their cars ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Yup, I use my hazards on occasion a bit like hi viz. Come around a corner and see a column of stopped or slow moving traffic... Hazards might go on for a few seconds until I know the vehicle behind is aware. Stuff like that, grabbing attention to a situation. Works, too.
    Nearly used them today riding tail gunner for my G/F trying to get to the petrol station on reserve at 60 / 70kmh. Not a lot of traffic so no real need. But yeah, handy blinkers.

Odd fact for the day. A re-jetted DT 230 uses approx 7 ltrs / 100km of petrol. 11 ltr tank and I reckon reserve is just over 2 ltrs. Thirsty but fun!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    A vehicle following me too closely is posing a hazard to me.
    If THEY see you as a hazard and follow you closely ... then put their hazards on ... will YOU move over to let THEM past .. ???

If hazards are as good as you claim ... you will.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Have you been introduced to cassina yet? She has the same tone if someone dares to disagree with an opinion.

Maybe Grahama is the male Cassina

.. Shock and horror!

Bike
    I stand corrected. When I said I could not imagine someone on a bike posing a hazard to others I did overlook someone travelling below the open road speed and stopping at give way signs.

It's kind of like a big L plate really.
    Maybe you misunderstood me from the post, Life in the slow lane. We don't travel slowly when there is other traffic about, then we travel at the speed of the traffic flow.

There is no sound reason not to stop at a Give Way or un-signed intersection. Following traffic, if any, has a duty not to run into you whenever you stop. The reasons whey we stop when we don't have to were clearly explained and are valid.

Those who know me will know that I'm a long way from being an L-plater. How about you?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Maybe Grahama is the male Cassina

.. Shock and horror!
    I see that you're an Aussie. Could explain a lot.

Bike
    It was on the good
    There is no sound reason not to stop at a Give Way or un-signed intersection. Following traffic, if any, has a duty not to run into you whenever you stop. The reasons whey we stop when we don't have to were clearly explained and are valid.

Those who know me will know that I'm a long way from being an L-plater. How about you?
    I had an L plate in the late 80's so some way to catch up with you.

Have also spent the last 20 odd years dealing with crashes and while relatively minor, unless on a bike, you might be surprised at how many rear ends there are at intersections when the first vehicle stops when the second vehicle can see that the way is clear. Clearly the second person has a duty not to run in to you but it is not something I would rely on.

Bike
    I had an L plate in the late 80's so some way to catch up with you.

Have also spent the last 20 odd years dealing with crashes and while relatively minor, unless on a bike, you might be surprised at how many rear ends there are at intersections when the first vehicle stops when the second vehicle can see that the way is clear. Clearly the second person has a duty not to run in to you but it is not something I would rely on.

Agreed. That that is always something to be aware of. I've never had a problem, bike or car, but maybe it's because I approach intersections and roundabouts pretty slowly rather than roaring up to them as if I might not stop and braking firmly at the last moment.

I can't remember the colour of my L-plate add-on, (brown on white?) but I can remember the name of the riding school teacher, Les Labone, a lovely wise 'old' man, and I remember the huge number of things he taught us. 'The road is not a race track' is one of them. Without remembering and trying to follow Les's advice I probably wouldn't be here now. Thank you, Les. RIP.

Thread Information