Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road bike options for commute

Bike
    I quite like the SWM Silver Vase.

22 litre fuel tank could take you some pretty cool places.

$6000 new. Seems like a good deal to me

Royal Enfield Continental GT would also be a fun daily.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    How did that come out of the same factory? It's cool. Tyres might not suit the commuting duties but you'd be the dude so who cares if you topple off at wet roundabouts?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanut View Post

22 hp I believe. I thought I could cope with that (my SR400E). You won't - its dire.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    22 hp I believe. I thought I could cope with that (my SR400E). You won't - its dire.
    30kW 40hp. You believe wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'm saving $100 a week on fuel by riding an 850 scooter instead of driving a 4.8 litre V8.
    both require tyres & servicing, one holds 2.5 litres of oil, the other holds 9 litres of oil.
    One has two tyres that cost $150 each, the other has four that cost $478 each.
    One cost 10% of the price of the other one to purchase.
    Not sure how a bike works out more expensive.
    High KM's also destroy the resale value of a car, but hey, if you like driving cars, I'm sure there's a forum for that too.
    a scooter is not a bike, but it is suitable to ride one in timaru with a KB T shirt.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    How did that come out of the same factory? It's cool. Tyres might not suit the commuting duties but you'd be the dude so who cares if you topple off at wet roundabouts?
    back in it sideways, no problem
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

http://www.experiencemotorcycles.co....cle-brand/swm/

try 8k brand new. also you were both wrong its 30hp
    http://www.swmmotorcycles.co.nz/silver-vase-440/

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Commuters should be super reliable and cheap to run as it will rack up the km.
    For those basic reasons alone, I wouldn't contemplate the Shiver, F800 etc.

Of course, you're probably thinking one bike... naaah, keep the other bike for fun.

I'd look at something like the CB600 Hornet if you wanted it a bit bigger, otherwise the newer 500 etc are more fuel efficient. Top box for gear. Used a CB900 for years, doesn't exactly sip on gas being a Fireblade engine, but maintenance wise, it's been very cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Commuters should be super reliable and cheap to run as it will rack up the km.
    For those basic reasons alone, I wouldn't contemplate the Shiver, F800 etc.

Of course, you're probably thinking one bike... naaah, keep the other bike for fun.

I'd look at something like the CB600 Hornet if you wanted it a bit bigger, otherwise the newer 500 etc are more fuel efficient. Top box for gear. Used a CB900 for years, doesn't exactly sip on gas being a Fireblade engine, but maintenance wise, it's been very cheap.
    Which is weird, because my carburetted fireblade gets 5.5l/100km.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pastor View Post
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...f5c91d5cb8-003

Yup 30hp.

It's a cool bike for the money regardless.

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT
    I quite like the SWM650R but small italian factories seem to go bust at an alarming rate and it would concern me that I would end up with an orphan and one that doesn't even have any name recognition.

KTM 690 Duke is still in the list I do think that maybe an Yamaha MT09 might be a better commute option as the Fazer 600 I had in the UK for commuting was tough as old boots, and cheap to run.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I used to commute daily, was initially a 49 Km one-way trip, then was a 35 Km one-way trip. Bikes used were:

GSX650-FU (De-restricted). - Really Comfy, great bike, Had enough power to keep a learner entertained but after a while, didn't have a wow factors
    GSX1300R. This is the one I used for several years - ridden all year round. I had comfort bars on it, Pack Rack and a Scott Oiler. Once you got used to it, I found it more than sufficiently nimble for filtering, obviously capable of lots of fun (especially if you had a Motorway section and left before traffic picked up) - Oodles of lazy Torque, it was quite happy pottering about at 3,000 RPM and below and with the exception of a few issues (at least one of which was self-inflicted) was very Relieable - the 'Busa engine is practically bullet proof.

But TL;DR - You can commute on anything.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Which is weird, because my carburetted fireblade gets 5.5l/100km.
    Yep, Hornet would be 5.5-6L/100km.

An NC700S, with 100km on the clock, I recorded 3.3L/100km, I bet it would get even better once run in, so 5.5L is quite high compared to the new crop.

That said, my Tuono is always above 6L/100km, so that's comfortably worse
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    red one & a blue one

Thumbs up

Been commuting into Welly for many years now .. some of my commuters have been 1987 + 1991 Honda CBR1000F, 2001 BMW R1150RT, 2004 Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit, 2003 + 2007 Suzuki SV1000s, 2004 + 2012 Suzuki Burgman 650

I'd advise keeping your bike & getting another as designated commuter.

here's some food for thought...
    Out of all my commuters, i personally found the 650cc Burgman the most efficient commuter... i realise some on here wouldn't be caught dead riding one but it works for me for storage of all weather gear, fairing for weather Protection & heated grips, electric mirrors (great for lane splitting), electric screen, heated seats, automatic /manual trans, no chain & it laughs at 130km/h winds & horizontal rain. It's heavy & planted at motorway speeds & stays upright parked out in the wind & rain all day.
    Supersize Me

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT
    Unfortunately I need a do everything bike, as cost of running two in terms of insurance/rego etc just doesn't work for me, so keeping the Guzzi and adding something else as a dedicated commuter just wouldn't happen at this point.

I suspect that big scooters like the Burgman are probably the ideal for a commuter, and thousands of Parisians can't be wrong with the amount large capacity scooters hacking around Paris on a daily basis. But not what I am looking for.

Cheers

Andy

Thread Information