Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACC - Born Again Riders Cassina Free

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200

ACC - Born Again Riders Cassina Free

OK ACC have increased registration to a super ridiculous amount

Couple of points I recently have had on my mind

We now (me and wifey) pretty much register our bikes for 6 months of the year - Oct to March.

Going back on the bike in October are we Born again Riders because I sure as hell know for a month or so it takes some time to get that "feel" of the road.

Is 3-6 months off the bike enough to lose the touch??

Thanks for the comments posted on the previous thread derailed by "I am Cassina listen to me I am full of shit"

Is this counterproductive to ACC registration amount collected and Born again riders on the road?

Whats your thoughts?

FUCK OFF CASSINA!!!

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I must admit to pondering what I'm going to do with a shed full of bikes which rarely get ridden. Putting rego on hold is an option but the riding can be good here even in winter and their are far fewer tourists. Smaller bike? Spend some money putting my 250 2t on the road is a tempting option but still not that cheap, rego wise, and that would only be good for fanging about, I'm kinda past that type of riding. It's a bit too frenetic and I struggle to resist temptation.

Hard to part with any of them, though.

As for getting back "in the groove" it takes a wee while. I try to find a car park and do some practice, gets the brain and body back up to speed really quick. Jumping on my trials bike does the same, re-sets the brain after a lapse.

It is a PITA that the ACC levie prompts so much consideration for multi bike ownership. A lot of bikes must end up being ridden without rego as a consequence. Kinda nullifies cheaper transport arguments and the cost of getting wrong.. Be interesting to see the stats.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    This is something on my mind. Have 3 bikes with full rego, insurance etc.

My CBR will go on hold in 2 weeks for winter while I wonder if I really need it. Track days just cost too much.

As for the break, I would be doing some car park stuff and maybe a ride forever course. Or just get a cheap ADV bike and keep riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I'm coming to the point where my car is the one likely to go on hold

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Well... having a think about Murray's original question, ie ACC counterproductively producing crashes by their high rego fees, the answer would be right there in the crash stats. How many bikers have a prang in the first week / fortnight / month of having re registered, following a layoff period?

Personally I know I have to take things easy when riding again after a break. Even a week or two off the bike is enough to notice the difference.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Well... having a think about Murray's original question, ie ACC counterproductively producing crashes by their high rego fees, the answer would be right there in the crash stats. How many bikers have a prang in the first week / fortnight / month of having re registered, following a layoff period?

Personally I know I have to take things easy when riding again after a break. Even a week or two off the bike is enough to notice the difference.
    I didn't think that the amount of time thats passed since the person involved last rode is recorded in any stats, so its a pointless question isnt it?

Is there actually any conclusive proof that 'born again' or 'returning' riders in that circumstance are higher represented in crashes than anyone else in crash stats? or is it just an assumption based on the average age of crashing riders being somewhere 40+?

Id have thought the cause of crashes were the same as ever on bikes, the biggest contributors being complacency (of one's own skills, road knowledge or bike condition).

Its fine saying that you take 'extra care' when first getting back after weeks / months off - but isn't that effectively an admission that after that initial period, you take less care when riding - isnt that exactly when youre most likely to fuck up?

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I didn't think that the amount of time thats passed since the person involved last rode is recorded in any stats, so its a pointless question isnt it?
    Absolutely right, it isn't. Let me try again:

Biker takes bike off rego over winter or similar
    Biker re-registers bike
    "whoopsie", or hopefully not.

There'll be a date on each event so that would be measureable via the stats and official records.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Speaking as the recipient of some mighty fine ACC help, I am now glad I paid my bit. Getting it back in spades now. When self employed and when registering my bikes for over 30 years I always felt a bit of a grudge parting with that coin......now, fucken beaudy.........

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    Absolutely right, it isn't. Let me try again:

Biker takes bike off rego over winter or similar
    Biker re-registers bike
    "whoopsie", or hopefully not.

There'll be a date on each event so that would be measureable via the stats and official records.
    Given the amount of bikes being ridden with expired / on hold rego, im not sure that the dates of rego are a fair way to measure anything either.
    I know plenty who only rego in summer, but ride year round, believing (based on their own anecdotal evidence) that summer is when bikes get targetted, and theyll likely get away with it.

I see your point I just think that rego stats, given the current political state of rego costs etc, aren't likely to prove anything given they various ways many riders are trying to resist / cheat / play the system

Bike
    1994 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Some really good comments (Cassina free). Nice to have a thread not disintegrating into a slugfest

Quote Jan 2020 Posted by Katman

Life would be so much easier if you addressed questions with a simple answer.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Good thread guys, and a subject I've been thinking about as I recover and consider getting back to riding following my crash last September. It is interesting, the idea of putting the bike on hold for the winter months, and anecdotal evidence would suggest that the crashes start going up from November onwards until late March. But is that because there are just more riders out there, or because there's a few who aren't match fit? I know I'm looking at treating myself as a returning rider on the road, but also, I've ridden a few times since the accident already, and it didn't feel too unnatural. I'd like to see any facts about crashing and returning after a layoff.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    ride to work everyday helps --- and hey crashing with the rego on hold you'll still get cover by ACC

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Good reminder, just chucked my rego on hold for 5 months. Realistically I might get in one ride a month over winter, far rather keep the $215 in my pocket than add an extra $40 to each ride.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    As others have said, good ideas and suggestions.

Not riding as often as I'd like, for various reasons, when I do get on the bike can feel like a novice again, that "rusty feeling", so go for a wee pootle round the local residential streets, no carpark nearby that I'd want to use, and check things like braking and using the "1, 2, 3" approach that someone mentioned. Say, twenty minutes of really concentrating on observation and positioning on quiet streets, almost as a warm-up before the main event.

However, just a thought... if you've put your bike's licence "on-hold" and then ride it like that and have an off, as has been pointed out already, ACC will sort you out. But what about your insurance - are you covered? If you damage your bike then you'll have to pay for that - tough. But what if you also damage someone's car? Hopefully their insurance will pay for that, but don't you leave yourself open to being sued by their insurance to recover their costs? Also, would you be ticketed by the police if they were called to the incident? I'm not prepared to put this to the test, so it's a hypothetical question on my part...

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Despite hating the cost of the rego, I'm not going to not pay it because I don't believe in sponging off others.

I reckon I've well and truly got my money's worth in the last eight months.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Thread Information