Page 263 of 337 FirstFirst ... 163213253261262263264265273313 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    Nothing wrong with Solidworks. I'm moving from a K&E drafting machine and skills learned 60 years ago with pencil and paper. It was time to learn 3D modeling and Fusion looked like the latest program. Besides, the price was right (free) for a hobbyist.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    Nothing wrong with Solidworks. I'm moving from a K&E drafting machine and skills learned 60 years ago with pencil and paper. It was time to learn 3D modeling and Fusion looked like the latest program. Besides, the price was right (free) for a hobbyist.

Lohring Miller
    Yes I agree with both you guys, I do have an old copy of SW but I never did get to grips with it (only because I didn't have a 3D printer) - the backup with Fusion is massive and yes Lars is good (even with his unusual New York/Danish accent!).

My first obsversation on 3D printing is that it's like watching grass grow or paint dry! and I do realize that each pattern has to be destroyed in lost PLA casting.
    However it's extremely interesting and very good for the one off type experiments we tend to do.
    The traditional patterns and casting methods such as Neil uses are far from finished yet, they do need a bit of space (which I don't have) to operate, but I think still rule supreme when you need to do more than just experimenting.

Of course a good printed pattern (smoothed up) and with built in draught (draft to our US friends) could still be a possibility for use as a permanent working pattern!

Has your printer arrived yet Ken?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post

Has your printer arrived yet Ken?
    Nope, but the polycast, plus pla, abs & nylon filaments are on their way. BTW Will, what slicer programme do you have? Eg, Simplify3D, Cura, Reptier etc.

Haven’t gone thru this in any detail as yet, but it looks to be a fairly comprehensive guide (there are quite a few to look at though):
    https://all3dp.com/1/best-3d-slicer-...re-3d-printer/

There's a joint in the US called Ransom & Randolph who look like suppliers of investment slurry, but haven't found anyone in Oz as yet. Problem is that one doesn't want a 300 + litre tank of the stuff, 20 lit would be just fine.

Back to 3d printed, patterns and coreboxes, I think it was Katinas who printed a comprehensive set of transfer port (plus other bits) coreboxes on his Zortrax printer. They looked pretty good.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post
    Nope, but the polycast, plus pla, abs & nylon filaments are on their way. BTW Will, what slicer programme do you have? Eg, Simplify3D, Cura, Reptier etc.

Haven’t gone thru this in any detail as yet, but it looks to be a fairly comprehensive guide (there are quite a few to look at though):
    https://all3dp.com/1/best-3d-slicer-...re-3d-printer/

There's a joint in the US called Ransom & Randolph who look like suppliers of investment slurry, but haven't found anyone in Oz as yet. Problem is that one doesn't want a 300 + litre tank of the stuff, 20 lit would be just fine.

Back to 3d printed, patterns and coreboxes, I think it was Katinas who printed a comprehensive set of transfer port (plus other bits) coreboxes on his Zortrax printer. They looked pretty good.
    Just going through all the basic stuff, and Cura is doing well (there's millions of settings which I'll delve deeper into as I grow more confident) - just printed out a lot of crap I concocted in Fusion 360 - soon I will be able to make proper simple patterns and I hope to find time to try casting again this summer, so long as I'm not moving house for a while yet!

You sure aren't slowly wading in at the shallow end Ken!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    [QUOTE You sure aren't slowly wading in at the shallow end Ken![/QUOTE]

Jeez, I hope you aren't right Will, what if I can't swim ????
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    [QUOTE You sure aren't slowly wading in at the shallow end Ken!
    Jeez, I hope you aren't right Will, what if I can't swim ???? [/QUOTE]

Yes, but you've had a little bit of experience - I've had none! that's why I had to get a cheapie so that I wouldn't lose a lot of money by stuffing a more expensive machine ie by trying to sort out any flaws ( inevitable in any machine - I like to doing that anyway) and learning what not to do at the same time! - trial and error, best way to learn, sticks in your mind!

Already got a couple of problems, I stuffed up the USB input by pushing the plug in through a badly misaligned access window in the end panel, (not really needed, I can still contact it by WIFI if necessary).
    I've also found that on the Y axis the micro switch tries to click after! it hits the end of it's travel - bad for belts etc. (still very happy with the design though - just the sloppy building practices they use don't help - nothing that can't be fixed!

Careful about the micro switch settings, also getting the basic Cura settings all correct for your particular machine.
    I do hope you will pass on your findings with the new consumables etc.

At the moment I am finding a little bit more time to look in here again - this was the thread which brought me here in the first place.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    I've been using Slic3r because it came with my Prusa printer. So far it's been fine. There is a learning curve with 3D printing. It takes a few mistakes to get the print orientation and supports right. It is like watching grass grow. My solution has been to watch the first few layers to be sure everything looks good, then do something else. However, I have come back after an over night print to find a huge glob of plastic on the print head. These days I use a silicone cover to make it easy to remove the mess. My favorite 3D print guru is Makers Muse. He's Australian, but don't hold that against him. There are lots of other good videos as well.

Lohring Miller

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    I've been using Slic3r because it came with my Prusa printer. So far it's been fine. There is a learning curve with 3D printing. It takes a few mistakes to get the print orientation and supports right. It is like watching grass grow. My solution has been to watch the first few layers to be sure everything looks good, then do something else. However, I have come back after an over night print to find a huge glob of plastic on the print head. These days I use a silicone cover to make it easy to remove the mess. My favorite 3D print guru is Makers Muse. He's Australian, but don't hold that against him. There are lots of other good videos as well.

Lohring Miller
    Lohring - I have more or less found everything that you have found to be true, yes I did have a few orientation mistakes with Cura too but went back to the start and worked out the settings and it's all fine now, but I'm still right down at the lower end of the scale as far as knowledge is concerned!

Unfortunately things like silicon sprays make me feel ill (or do you mean that you use some sort of silicone fabric?).
    The hairspray I'm using doesn't thrill me too much either, (and don't take that the wrong way, I'm actually quite bald), but that and masking tape seem to work well together on my printer - I don't see any need as yet to use a glass bed (just extra weight and more stress on the machinery!)........ that's how I see it anyway!

Yes, Maker's Muse is good too, my main source of info still comes from Lars, but there are so many of those type of videos, the majority of them are good and do help a lot with the learning process.

Bottom line is though, we all still have to learn by applying ourselves and actually doing it and it'll be a slow process for me I'm sure!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1944 RE 1

Happy Christmas

Happy Christmas you guys, (ours is just about over) - we were lucky to have a dry day after nearly three days of constant rain, makes you wonder why so many people confuse New Zealand with Australia!

Thought I'd look in and see whats been happening ...... but not a lot going on in the thread so thought I'd sign in and see if it can be woken up again.
    I've spent a bit of time trying to get to grips with Fusion 360 ( and am actually learning) but I have also had a look at the free "Design Spark Mechanical" program and it sure looks good to me so I may learn them simultaneously - dunno if that's very sensible idea but after 1 year on Fusion 360 it will become just a tad expensive!

Because of our unusually damp weather this year, any idea of casting metal around Christmas has been scuppered! I have done as many trials on my little printer as I need to do now and I'm quite happy with how well it works - so I should get on with learning to design things which need to be compatible with easy printing and casting ( taking into consideration casting shrinkage ) I sure wish all this stuff was around when I was young - love it!

I do think that traditional casting is better for serious stuff but this prnted plastic method is quite suitable for people like me.

Happy holidays.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1975 Hodaka Wombat
    There's a great post on casting from 3D prints on Home Model Engine Machinist. You probably need to register to see the pictures. See https://www.homemodelenginemachinist...owledge.30767/

Lohring Miller

Bike
    derbi

Hello from the UK

Hi there guys, I've been reading KB for years but never posted much before.
    I was interested in lost PLA casting myself for a 50cc race cylinder project.
    I did a fair amount of research a few years back and started getting all the equipment together to have a go myself but other projects took over and I never got to the point of casting a part. Anyway here are some links to information that I found at the time, I'll add to it as I dig them out on my computer.
    Mark
    https://www.calum-douglas.com/metal-casting/
    http://depts.washington.edu/open3dp/...hooting-guide/

Incidentally, from everything I could gather from people that were pretty adept at the process using a proper investment powder was the best way to proceed.
    Edit: so it would seem that senility is creeping in! I have previously made a post in this thread outlining how I made my furnace

Bike
    husaberg
    i seen the in the ware farea cattledog today.

It would make a great basis for a forge
    $49

Gascraft Charcoal Smoker & Grill
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Oxyracer, good links there, thanx. Might try the investment recipe using the fibreglass as a reinforcement.

Huser, dunno about it for a furnace (I assume that's what you mean by a forge...I always thought a forge was system for heating up metal, eg on hot coals, and then some old wanker with a leather apron bashing the shit out of it with a hammer on an anvil or some chunky hammer press). However it might be a good simple, cheap gizmo to burn on PLA or wax from an investment mould. Probably in conjunction with a K type thermocouple, but temp control would have to be closely monitored. PS. What's the go with your list of posts?

Bike
    husaberg
    Oxyracer, good links there, thanx. Might try the investment recipe using the fibreglass as a reinforcement.

Huser, dunno about it for a furnace (I assume that's what you mean by a forge...I always thought a forge was system for heating up metal, eg on hot coals, and then some old wanker with a leather apron bashing the shit out of it with a hammer on an anvil or some chunky hammer press). However it might be a good simple, cheap gizmo to burn on PLA or wax from an investment mould. Probably in conjunction with a K type thermocouple, but temp control would have to be closely monitored. PS. What's the go with your list of posts?

Er Just the outer shell as the basis not the harware itself safer than cutting open LPG containers plus bigger
    Last edited by husaberg; 27th December 2018 at 21:07. Reason: oh i get it sorrry i meant funace
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Er Just the outer shell as the basis not the harware itself safer than cutting open LPG containers plus bigger
    I reckon just find a basic example and build one from scratch in sheetmetal and pipe etc. Use some commonsense mixed with intuition, a bit of initiative and plenty of elbow grease - anyone can be successful doing it this way, I did just that and if I could do it then any simpleton could!
    Too many imaginary pitfalls all over the net! they just frighten people away!
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information