Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruroc Helmets

Bike
    MT-03

Ruroc Helmets

Anyone use one of these?

I absolutely love the look of them and they are not badly priced. But nervous to buy something online without some local feedback?

https://www.ruroc.com/en_row/berserker

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by TravellingSaffa View Post
    Anyone use one of these?

I absolutely love the look of them and they are not badly priced. But nervous to buy something online without some local feedback?

why on earth would you buy the most important bit of safety gear you'll ever need without having several to try on for size?

Bike
    MT-03
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why on earth would you buy the most important bit of safety gear you'll ever need without having several to try on for size?
    It can be returned for size exchanges.

Bike
    Ducati Monster 821
    I've got the atlas 2, it's pretty nice - really light, quiet, nice build quality. Its a bit breezy though and you have to buy the extended chin curtain as it sucks bees and leaves up into your face. Sizing seems to align with standard helmet sizes. Don't buy the atlas 1 though that they're still selling it has issues they resolved in the 2.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be quoted out of context, then used against you.

Bike
    suzuki
    It can be returned for size exchanges.
    how many times? stop being a tight cunt and go into a local shop and try several different sizes on

Bike
    MT-03
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how many times? stop being a tight cunt and go into a local shop and try several different sizes on
    Now now, be nice. No need to be all snarky.

If you don’t have something nice and helpful to say, rather be quiet.

Bike
    MT-03
    Quote Originally Posted by bert_is_evil View Post
    I've got the atlas 2, it's pretty nice - really light, quiet, nice build quality. Its a bit breezy though and you have to buy the extended chin curtain as it sucks bees and leaves up into your face. Sizing seems to align with standard helmet sizes. Don't buy the atlas 1 though that they're still selling it has issues they resolved in the 2.
    Thanks. This is helpful.
    I currently ride with a X-lite but I am looking for a second lid.

The advice about the chin curtain is extremely valuable. Thanks for offering it.

Bike
    suzuki
    Now now, be nice. No need to be all snarky.

If you don’t have something nice and helpful to say, rather be quiet.
    i've seen people die riding bikes, and a good friend brain damaged cause the previous owner had fitted a steering damper as the bike needed it, then took it off to sell it for $50. Give yourself every chance to get the best fitting brain bucket you can simply.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Anyone use one of these?

Look and price are probably the worst possible reasons for choosing a helmet.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    MT-03
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Look and price are probably the worst possible reasons for choosing a helmet.
    To be clear, that's exactly why I am asking these questions. I already have a Nolan X Lite and am looking for a second helmet.

The question is around previous experience with this brand. Is it good? How does the size feel? What is the quality of the internal padding? These sorts of things.

Sure, I like the look and the price is neither here nor there. Is it a good value proposition? Are you getting something worth the money or is it a rip-off?

They meet safety standards, but that only tells part of the story.

I don't know why there is all this talk of the importance of a helmet, I never questioned that. I simply asked if anyone has any experience with this brand and if it is worthwhile to consider it.

Bike
    suzuki
    T
    I don't know why there is all this talk of the importance of a helmet, I never questioned that. I simply asked if anyone has any experience with this brand and if it is worthwhile to consider it.
    Too many people are driven price simply, and a lot don't even know how to try a helmet on, they'll go into a shop and take one they think is right to the counter. and too often the counter staff wont step up and double check their choice.
    How can someone really tell you how it fits, especially when you have no idea who they are or what they know, what their experience is etc.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Agreed it's important it fits well and is comfortable. The old wives tale of 'the more something costs the better quality it must be' went out with the Ark. Rumour was Noah got that at a big shed where everyone gets a bargain. Did the job fine.

Off the web after sales support is questionable though. Three years ago I bought a Nexx helmet from an importer selling them directly on Trademe. Happy as with them and the lid but they no longer import or sell them. So when the time comes to replace a scratched visor it's .. give up and buy a new lid. Fortunately I ride a lot and get my monies worth from using them and don't mind replacing lids regularly.

Go with the suggestions to go into a shop and try some on though. Shops don't carry much choice these days but that's the consequence of the web ruining retail everywhere.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    The old wives tale of 'the more something costs the better quality it must be' went out with the Ark.
    Agreed. MotoCAP finds that sometimes, the most expensive gear doesn't get the highest abrasion and impact ratings.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Dont see it listed as Sharp tested

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/

Jellys point, though pointed, is helmets are personal. I take medium, but there are helmets that aren't comfortable, and ones that are. Some manufacturers make different inserts for different markets based on ethnic differences, but still it is only their take on best compromise.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Dont see it listed as Sharp tested

Jellys point, though pointed, is helmets are personal. I take medium, but there are helmets that aren't comfortable, and ones that are. Some manufacturers make different inserts for different markets based on ethnic differences, but still it is only their take on best compromise.
    Arai make helmets in different head shapes for different markets, but as far as I know they go further with that than anybody else.

I'd never heard of Ruroc so I just had a look. They're rather more expensive than I was expecting, that's Shoei level money.

A friend of mine was talking to an importer of helmets and he was told, once a helmet has the relevant safety label it's safe. Spend more money and you might get a quieter helmet or a more comfortable helmet, spend even more and you can get a fancy paint job, but it may not be significantly more safe than a cheaper helmet.

Some people choose a helmet designed for racing thinking it may be superior to a touring helmet. Racing helmets tend to have a greater air flow than touring helmets 'cause the racers can be working hard and need the ventilation. Moving air makes noise, so racer halmets tend to be noisier than touring helmets.

As always, you pays your money and you makes your choice.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information