Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Is it still recommended to take your own tie downs for the Cook Strait ferries?
    No, they have big anchors and strong chains to tie the ferries down. Not sure they are long enough for the middle of the Cook Strait though. She's pretty deep.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Travelled on the Interislander in February, this is what they sent me beforehand.

Having said that, there were some tie downs/bits of rope with hooks available on both trips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFA86026-57DD-4AF7-B98E-301B5FC6C9C3.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	493.2 KB 
ID:	341217  
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Travelled on the Interislander in February, this is what they sent me beforehand.

Having said that, there were some tie downs/bits of rope with hooks available on both trips.
    is that acceptable service? there's absolutley no assurance that the bike next to you will be sicure....

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    p

they seem to have no trouble providing tie downs for the truckies.
    The trucks are tied down with big overcentre chain and hook things that fit into the slots in the deck.There's plenty there because they are too big and heavy to steal. The interislander branded ratchet straps were probably all stolen in the first week.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    The trucks are tied down with big overcentre chain and hook things that fit into the slots in the deck.There's plenty there because they are too big and heavy to steal. The interislander branded ratchet straps were probably all stolen in the first week.
    when i got them provided oddly they said theft wasn't an issue, had a budget for it like glassware going from a bar, in saying that they looked at the options of one end hooked on that needed tools to remove etc, it was quite a few years ago and i rarely travel on the ferry with a bike now so never kept the momentum i'd gained going.

Bike
    BSA A10
    is that acceptable service? there's absolutley no assurance that the bike next to you will be sicure....
    That's why I'll always try to leave a gap between the next one, although I'd normally watch them tie their own bikes down to see how good they do it

i'm talking about the cowshit on the decks, do you take your own scissors to your barber?
    Having travelled on the ferries just about annually since 1987 I have yet to see cowshit on any deck, I have far more choice of barbers to find one with the correct gear than I do of Ferries with tiedowns
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Well it was my first time so I was actually glad to have bought some I could figure out how to use them before I got there.

But I agree it would be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing strapping the bikes down or at least checking they're secure enough (maybe they do once the riders have left).
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Do you though? I thought you were just paying for a space on the boat
    When you take a car or truck on any of the ferries ... who supplies and fits the tie-downs ... ???

Many motorcycle owners however ... are quite particular on who touches their bike. From the days of the Aramoana ... it was NZR policy and rules that Motorcycle owners tied their own bike down. Ropes were supplied but first in ... first used all the ropes. The "Take your own" unofficial rule app[lied ... for the individual motorcyclists safety and convenience ... has been always advised in these forums.

Those that choose NOT to take this advice and NOT take their own ... be it on THEIR own head.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Those that choose NOT to take this advice and NOT take their own ... be it on THEIR own head.
    once agian, this doesn't help if the guy beside you has none now does it?

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    But I agree it would be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing strapping the bikes down or at least checking they're secure enough .
    When the fast ferry operated, I parked my bike where I was told next minute the guy throws a tie down across the seat left to right and starts cranking it down

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    When you take a car or truck on any of the ferries ... who supplies and fits the tie-downs ... ???
    A lot if the time they aren't tied down

Fuck him for being a dick and not being prepared, I'll move my bike further away
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When the fast ferry operated, I parked my bike where I was told next minute the guy throws a tie down across the seat left to right and starts cranking it down
    I never took a bike across on the fast ferries. I always took some rope with me on the NZR ferries. Sometimes I needed it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    In a perfect world we'd all care. It's not.

In these cases ... those unlucky dumb one's would just hope for a calm sailing. The smart ones would ask a crew member for help.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I never used the fast ferry but was warned that if I did I should take a towel to fold and put across the seat.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the guy cranked it down, think that bike at least had a centrestand.

But after a rough ride on the vomit comet, where all the ceiling tiles were playing castinet tunes, we resolved to go pick up our broken bikes, sad end to a great trip.

To our surprise they were all upright. And the seatfoam recovered a bit.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    Undies, I knew I had forgotten something.
    On board now, Inter islander is well set up with ratcheting tie downs
    with handlebar loops and a slot bracket/slot to hold your
    front wheel.
    Update, the above ferry was the Kaitaki.

Return trip was on the Awatere,manky rope with hooks on the end and rubber chocks , glad to have my own tiedowns with me.
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Thread Information