Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain oil/wax/cleaner brands

Bike
    bike

Chain oil/wax/cleaner brands

What brand of chain wax/lube and cleaner do you guys use?

For sports bike with oring chain

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    kerosene.

but mostly not. scottoiler.

Bike
    Sold
    Tirox teflon chain wax. Not sticky, doesn't fling and does the business. Have been using it for a couple of years after I couldn't get hold of my old favourite Maxima.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Maxima chain wax. Good stuff.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I like the dry wax ones.

WURTH, WD40, & SPECTRO SX are all 'Dry Wax' type products I have used.

Wouldn't ever go back to the messy stuff
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST

Silkolene Titanium chain gel

I used this on my Firestorm for years. I'd say it's a hybrid between the dry kind and the sticky mx style. Good for wet commuting and not much fling-off.
    My Sprint has a scottoiler which is pretty cool

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now
    Scottoiler with Scottoil - 'summer' grade for the warm NZ conditions that I usually go out in.

The drip rate is consistent and controllable so there's less chance of the chain being dry or wet, and little wastage. An excellent investment all round. And round. And round.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Agree with Silkolene Titanium Gel but then I could not find it in CHCH anymore so wasted a lot of money on different brands until KB put me onto BelRay Superclean Chain Lubricant. Which is at least equal. It does not fling off and lasts well.
    BelRay Chaincleaner Dirt and Grime Remover is excellent too.

Not cheap, both in the high 20's per can but the lube in particular goes a long way so is good value.

Bike
    Two wheeler
    Always used a Scottoiler myself

Bike
    Got myself one of these fantastic gismos, to stop the over spray making a mess, where you just don't want it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clean Bob.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	335204  

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Got myself one of these fantastic gismos, to stop the over spray making a mess, where you just don't want it:

Do they come in different sizes? I don't think my knob would fit through that when I am spraying .......

Alternatively do as I do. Buy a 12 pack of your favorite beer, place beer in the fridge. Take the cardboard carton the beer came in and cut yourself one A4ish sized piece of cardboard, fold in half so it is a 'L' shape, place the vertical part of the 'L' behind the chain (horizontal part is now under the chain) half way between the two sprockets and spray away. Rotate wheel (by hand only), and spray - continue until the chain is oiled.

Reward yourself with a beer.

This chain tool can be reused again and again but I recommend throwing it out every now and then so you can buy more beer.

Technically you could use any card - find your partners favorite pair of shoes, being favorites they will be displayed in their expensive box, use that shoe box as your chain oiling template. She will respect you for your ingenuity and thriftiness and possibly reward you with a 'all access pass' that evening.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Fuck me. Only been riding 25 odd years and I learnt something. I have always sprayed the chain from behind where it sits on the sprocket. Never thought of using a beer tool. Will buy beer and try it. Might keep the rear hub a bit cleaner as well.

Recent convert to Muc-Off for lube but suddenly can't get it so back on some other white stuff, hopefully not too much fling.

Had never cleaned a chain in all my years of all year all weather riding until last year - I think it is over rated and ridiculous in the 21st century but I am not quite old enough for a shaft drive bike yet. I now use Kerosene and an old toothbrush, comes up gold.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Do they come in different sizes? I don't think my knob would fit through that when I am spraying .......

Alternatively do as I do. Buy a 12 pack of your favorite beer, place beer in the fridge. Take the cardboard carton the beer came in and cut yourself one A4ish sized piece of cardboard, fold in half so it is a 'L' shape, place the vertical part of the 'L' behind the chain (horizontal part is now under the chain) half way between the two sprockets and spray away. Rotate wheel (by hand only), and spray - continue until the chain is oiled.

Reward yourself with a beer.

This chain tool can be reused again and again but I recommend throwing it out every now and then so you can buy more beer.

Technically you could use any card - find your partners favorite pair of shoes, being favorites they will be displayed in their expensive box, use that shoe box as your chain oiling template. She will respect you for your ingenuity and thriftiness and possibly reward you with a 'all access pass' that evening.
    I like your thinking, apart from the 'Death Wish' thing with her prized shoe box
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    ES XTZ

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post

I tried that one you kindly gave me. Seemed to be a bit "generous" with the lube? I ended up with a fair bit on the floor. Am I using it wrong?

Thread Information