Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: older riders surviving badly

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you are going to wear one, can't ya wear a half way decent looking vest instead of a $10 Warehouse one?

As design goes I have always thought the Icon brand military vest was one of the better ones.

I scored a free one from SaferRides but the zip failed after a year.

I now have a Revit mesh HiVis imported from Europe because they're not sold here. Figure that one out after last summer! It's much nicer to wear, has stretch panels at the side and doesn't flap in the wind.

So yeah, don't be cheap and buy something decent quality.

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L02 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post

contrast YES hivis has become to common, people simply switch off to it
    This, I like.

It's the reason why I like a hi viz helmet, really noticeable if I waggle it at people. You can even see it over a hedge.

Absolutely, it's the point of difference and movement which catches the eye. Hi viz clothing has a place but it's (literally) further down the attention scale.

My humble feelings on the whole, most appropriate, apparel debate is moot. If helmet mounted disco balls, strobing knee pads and jackets with fluoro wings that popped out every time I got close to a junction became mandatory apparel, I would still ride and feel no safer.

With exactly the same mind set I rode with yesterday.

I'm riding the bike, I take responsibility for being here, I'm going to enjoy my ride and get home safely with no expectations of any other road users.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Big red vibrator
    trying to be more visible is all well and good, but i agree its only a small part of surviving. The most visible ive ever been was while riding an ex MOT cb650 back in the 80s, no one pulled out in front of me, it worked so well i installed a hi-stop and promptly got fined and told to take it off. If youre afraid you might look like a pussy and be treated that way by other road users tells me more about your attitudes than other peoples.

As experienced motorcyclists im sure you all percieve and avoid potential accidents every ride, and 9 out of 10 times 999 out of 1000 youre on the ball but being human has consequences and us older humans are more prone to make mistakes.
    This week i had 2 wake up calls, my eyes arent what they used to be so accepting this and adapting is paramount.

Ive had videos on bikes for a long time, it helps me learn to ride better. Heres a few old clips to illustrate some of the hazards that are out there. It might help someone recognize some dangerous situations.

https://youtu.be/ttTGY65B4Xo

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post

Ive had videos on bikes for a long time, it helps me learn to ride better. Heres a few old clips to illustrate some of the hazards that are out there. It might help someone recognize some dangerous situations.https://youtu.be/ttTGY65B4Xo
    I like the following video because it demonstrates really good situational awareness (info processing) and how that is translating to his road position, speed, gear selection and acceleration sense (throttle control): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qLb...PFuQCoAZB3qZIS .

Bike
    he's back !!!
    I turned 51 earlier this year & I'm starting to feel it when I go on a long ride & certainly feel it @600km mark & the recent 1KC ( 1000km day ride ) I started to question how many more of these I could manage safely, I love riding my ZX14 that much I recently purchased a ZG1400 & feel at home on it with my partner ( same age grp) mentioning how relaxed it was in comparison . I stopped doing night rides sometime ago now cause I really felt uneasy riding in such conditions so gave up doing the likes of Grand challenges etc, I'll leave the ZX in the garage for when I want to go for a loop on one of my many favorite roads here in the Waikato but now owning a tourer I should still have many, many years yet doing more 1KC rides.
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    bandit
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    Wrong colour, should be pink.

Bike
    2009 ST1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Nougo View Post

Ive had videos on bikes for a long time, it helps me learn to ride better. Heres a few old clips to illustrate some of the hazards that are out there. It might help someone recognize some dangerous situations.

https://youtu.be/ttTGY65B4Xo
    That is a great video; I have experienced a lot of those myself (and probably committed a few of those errors as well). I know it is a collection of specific boo-boos but I was able to predict the likely error in most. Quite a few occur where you cannot be seen by other traffic especially when the vehicle in front is large and turns off down a side road, or when you have switched position immediately before and the driver has not figured that out. Moral of the story, always ride like you are invisible, and expect idiots and rocks around blind corners. Your evasion skills are impressive!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Wrong colour, should be pink.
    I could be wrong, but the Mona Lisa being in the Louvre and the Louvre being in Paris, I suspect that vest has more to do with the Gilets Jaunes protest movement than with road safety.

Which leads me to recall sadly that the Louvre was closed the day I went to see it. Thank you taxpayers of the nation though, damn decent of you.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadbury View Post
    That is a great video; I have experienced a lot of those myself (and probably committed a few of those errors as well). I know it is a collection of specific boo-boos but I was able to predict the likely error in most. Quite a few occur where you cannot be seen by other traffic especially when the vehicle in front is large and turns off down a side road, or when you have switched position immediately before and the driver has not figured that out. Moral of the story, always ride like you are invisible, and expect idiots and rocks around blind corners. Your evasion skills are impressive!
    There are some classics there. Love the wheelie across the intersection!

It's not so much assuming you're invisible, but making yourself as visible as possible, and I don't mean wearing Hi Vis.

Bike
    XR650R
    yes that video reminds me of my days riding around the wellington region many moons ago, as expected the same ignorant , self obsessed bunch of drivers I remember.
    as to hi-vis, I'm not an adherent as it still depends on someone else seeing it, the type of drivers who pull out , do so without looking for m/cycles, there brain isn't alert to them , so you can have red/blue lights flashing and they still wouldn't see us.
    the things I've noticed as age related hindrances are mostly to do with my central processor unit- the brain
    it likes to go along the same paths , or even shortcut to the same ending, both of which are dangerous as they stop us from reacting as needed or worse limit our ability to "see"a situation approaching, basic brain fade adds another level of ignorance to the hazards we face.
    my method of resistance to this phenomenon -doing things differently on occasion, the thing that made this stand out for me was a couple of years off the bike, yes skills dull , but it was how my brain had slowed in it's ability to keep ahead of the road that caught my attention.
    my solution is to get out of my comfort zone regularly to keep the brain engaged, speed kills they say- rubbish I say, in the right place when used with purpose it actually increases our brains functionality, for older motorcycle riders, it's brain sharpness that's important to keeping the shiny side up.
    that's what works for me, but many different aspects of new ( to your brain) situations will aid the brain to respond to the needs of a road riding motorcyclist

Bike
    Gone

aging riders

Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    There is a difference to learning something when younger and keeping it going as compared to doing it while younger, having a break for the usual reasons (money/work/family) and then coming back to it. You are never quite the same on the return. I played rep rugby as a teen and early 20s. I know there are seniors/master teams but 15 minutes of contact footie and I would be fucked, probably have a stroke, coronary, screw up a joint, tear muscles and basically become a jibbering mess all at the same time.
    Riders who keep going, keep their skills alive and ticking over will be better for it. Riders who don't and then get older, well....
    I would also argue those who put the bikes in the shed for the winter and roll them out again come the warmer (?) weather, are effectively returning riders every spring/summer. They have gotten older and none of their skills have been maintained for months. Look at how rusty professional athletes are when they first come back from the off season and those guys never really stop working.
    Bottom line, what is the problem with maybe slowing down a bit and giving your reactions more of a chance. Get some training, how bad can a day on the bike be? R4E courses are $50 at worst, a couple of fills of fuel? pffffft! Cheap as chips! IAM offers mentoring completely free of charge (you do need to pay membership subs of course) There are options there to keep the brain engaged and in a way you can pace yourself and still get some fun out of riding

Sometimes I find the most objective way to baseline where I am at is to seek outside input and measurement or critique. Why? Well my perception of what is acceptable might simply be an adaptation to something which is sub-optimal from the beginning. Maybe its just me
    A very thoughtful post. Like Dangerous, at 65 my eyesight now is corrective lens dependent and night vision is crap. Possibly I have adjusted to this being the new normal but am very aware of my lack of youth/ reaction time. As one who " parks up" over the winter I took a Gold Course with Dan Love as my first outing this year, then proceeded to an Adventure ride on gravel. Now confident to take my wife for a spin but the impediments are causing a decided lack of enthusiasm overall. I watched Old Rider slow down and stop some years back and now am experiencing it myself.
    Without the experience and muscle memory it would not be possible. My wife attempted to get a licence, passed, and had a scooter for a short time but realised she was a liability and gave up. We are both learning to kite-board currently and having to learn a new skill is SO hard. The slowing connections between the brain and muscles is just so obvious.
    As was pointed out, the PERCENTAGE of older riders crashing is similar but I would agree the rusty skills ( weekend warriors) diminishing capabilities and that there are more old farts out there would account for much of the stats.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    A very thoughtful post. Like Dangerous, at 65 my eyesight now is corrective lens dependent and night vision is crap. Possibly I have adjusted to this being the new normal but am very aware of my lack of youth/ reaction time. As one who " parks up" over the winter I took a Gold Course with Dan Love as my first outing this year, then proceeded to an Adventure ride on gravel. Now confident to take my wife for a spin but the impediments are causing a decided lack of enthusiasm overall. I watched Old Rider slow down and stop some years back and now am experiencing it myself.
    Without the experience and muscle memory it would not be possible. My wife attempted to get a licence, passed, and had a scooter for a short time but realised she was a liability and gave up. We are both learning to kite-board currently and having to learn a new skill is SO hard. The slowing connections between the brain and muscles is just so obvious.
    As was pointed out, the PERCENTAGE of older riders crashing is similar but I would agree the rusty skills ( weekend warriors) diminishing capabilities and that there are more old farts out there would account for much of the stats.
    interesting thoughts, but here's something to consider, at speedway on Saturday and there is a 68yr old racing in two classes back to back and still very competitive, he was competing in solo B and classic solo, absolute legend in my mind, have also known riders who don't stop riding, they just adjust there riding style to suit,

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i think the secret here is to keep riding...and often.And also do some excercise

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i think the secret here is to keep riding...and often.And also do some excercise
    Agree. More riding makes riding betterer.

Caveat. As we get on and abilities change we should be aware of this and adjust our riding accordingly, in whatever manner suits. Slower, shorter rides, change of company on the road, change of bike and so on.

I'm finding exercise and diet have a big impact. My riding is fine, diet is shit and exercise is sinful.

Sooooo, I'm riding more off road than on road. No way can I ride a 2t Enduro effectively if I have a curry and a few beers the night before. The old brain and body just can't cope, no energy. It's a good day for doing donuts on me ride on.

Riding my trials bike and enduro keep my control skills very sharp, give me a work out and improve concentration. This translates perfectly to my road riding. Reactions, anticipation and control are better, which keep me reasonably confident and enjoying the ride.

Any riding is better than no riding. Playing on dirt bikes, particularly the trials bike, is like a gym membership and having Nadia Lim on speed dial.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information