Page 1641 of 2628 FirstFirst ... 6411141154115911631163916401641164216431651169117412141 ... LastLast
Results 24,601 to 24,615 of 39409

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    It's good to do all this stuff yourself and there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from it! - If it works well and you are still alive, that's great, then you can use all your photos to demonstrate how it was done - it doesn't matter when it actually was done and as far as any readers are concerned it is just the same to them as a work in progress.

I don't think that Frits is jealous at all, why would he be? he has achieved a lot over the years by studying things, he is always diplomatic and the fact that he feels he should speak up on safety is to be commended, rather than be ridiculed.

When you are in your fifties, I guarantee you will think differently and I would like you to come and say the same stuff to me then ......... Oh yeah- hang on ......... I will be pushing up the daisies by then, so I'll never know ( unless of course you have been propelled at high speed into hell by that infernal machine), where we'll probably meet up!

Again, good luck with the project - I tended not to listen to others when I was young but just now and then I wish I had!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Homebuilt chassi, Kawasaki 212cc
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    It's good to do all this stuff yourself and there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from it! - If it works well and you are still alive, that's great, then you can use all your photos to demonstrate how it was done - it doesn't matter when it actually was done and as far as any readers are concerned it is just the same to them as a work in progress.

I don't think that Frits is jealous at all, why would he be? he has achieved a lot over the years by studying things, he is always diplomatic and the fact that he feels he should speak up on safety is to be commended, rather than be ridiculed.

When you are in your fifties, I guarantee you will think differently and I would like you to come and say the same stuff to me then ......... Oh yeah- hang on ......... I will be pushing up the daisies by then, so I'll never know ( unless of course you have been propelled at high speed into hell by that infernal machine), where we'll probably meet up!

Again, good luck with the project - I tended not to listen to others when I was young but just now and then I wish I had!
    First things first, iīm not a youngster that donīt listen.
    Iīm 46 years old.
    I have been studying this a lot before poured concrete into my roller, and i beg everyone to do so also, but still i take NO responsibility.
    There are rollers out there on the market filled with concrete, they were sold by professional companies, that has thinner tubewalls than mine.
    But when people says to me without any data that 'that wonīt work, you will/might die' i actually donīt take them seriously, iīll add them to the 'trollfolder' in my brain.
    Loose conclusions about a thing or a human is about the worst thing i know of.
    And it doesnīt matter even if it was god himself that made the statement.
    Playing hockey/fotball from the spectatorseat is so very easy.

And again, the concrete might expand 2% yes!
    But that makes up for the water that has been lost when concrete is burning.
    I have never locked the water in an perfect seal, one need to let that go away, otherwise your concrete will be bad, and also by that the concrete had a chance to ferment without adding stress to the tube.
    And it was stated that my balancerguy need to protect himself.
    Well, let me just say this: you donīt rev the roller or crankshaft anymore than about 500rpm in balancermachine to get it balanced to ISO1940/1 standards.
    Canīt see any problems there.

Thereīs a lot of statements done on the web today, with no clue of reality or none hours spent to study the facts, just peoples minds and horrific visions colouring their statements on the web, to satisfy them when seeing people create something they need to add a lot of negativity.

I was about to link to pages that shows some formulas, but Peiter was ahead of me, thanks =)

One thing came out of this debacle, i will build my own dynamic balancer, and still using same rig i have built for the roller.
    With minor mods i can balance it to Grade G2.5 at home.

Rgds.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels Abildgaard View Post
    If concrete expands a little during solidification no calcultion is worth a life or two.The steel will be prestressed an unknown amount and concrete is not very good in tension.
    In my case I would spin it with an AC motor and VFD to something like1.6 times maximum expected rpm before each run and keep children,dogs and poultry out of combat zone.
    You'd have to video it of course, from a distance.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by SwePatrick View Post
    First things first, iīm not a youngster that donīt listen.
    Iīm 46 years old..
    Yes, about the age of my kids, - I still can't help the feeling I need to be responsible for them! sorry about that!

I have been studying this a lot before poured concrete into my roller, and i beg everyone to do so also, but still i take NO responsibility..
    Yes, I can see that you have given it a lot of thought, - but we are always responsible for anything which might affect someone else, even though they made the decision.

One thing came out of this debacle, i will build my own dynamic balancer, and still using same rig i have built for the roller.
    With minor mods i can balance it to Grade G2.5 at home..
    Hardly a "debacle" is it? - just a slightly warm discussion! but I do applaud you for at least explaining your position and also for your effort in building this machine. - Keep going and keep letting us know how you get on.

I am one of those people you talk about, who is just an onlooker, with no specialized knowledge, however a little bit wary (from my own experiences in "hands on" engineering) of what life can throw at you.
    Perhaps I'm a little "past it" and have been retired for quite some time, but I am still keenly interested in and like to see things like this being done.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    1991 MZ 301

And it was stated that my balancerguy need to protect himself.
    Well, let me just say this: you donīt rev the roller or crankshaft anymore than about 500rpm in balancermachine to get it balanced to ISO1940/1 standards.
    Canīt see any problems there.

Rgds.
    I can se a problem maybe.

The balancing machine is made for balancing and this can probably be made satisfactory at 500 rpm or lower.What is dangerous is not unbalance but that the steel pipe with longitudinal scars suddenly want to open up when you go 150 km wich gives more than 300 to 500 rpm.I is not an easy job to calculate bursting speed of Your construction.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels Abildgaard View Post
    I can se a problem maybe.

The balancing machine is made for balancing and this can probably be made satisfactory at 500 rpm or lower.What is dangerous is not unbalance but that the steel pipe with longitudinal scars suddenly want to open up when you go 150 km wich gives more than 300 to 500 rpm.I is not an easy job to calculate bursting speed of Your construction.
    This picture says about 1000 words

Bike
    Norton Manx

Looking Good. ....
    Factual Facts are based on real Fact and Universal Truths. Alternative Facts by definition are not based on Truth.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    That's certainly more substantial than I had in my mind esp if I had a mind to build one.
    Don't assume that people following the path will have a real understanding of the consequences of action. I don't know what I don't know esp about concrete at speed. I'd be a danger with a little knowledge.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    This picture says about 1000 words
    That does put things in perspective I must say - and with the reinforcing in the middle (which we can't see) it all seems good to me - I wouldn't be clever enough to say definitely without proper calcs, but let's just wait and see, I feel the outcome will be all good.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Maico Bimota 250
    Interesting reading. I to looked at a drum filled with concrete, but I would have put gussets inside the drum to strengthen it and then filled it with concrete.

I was lucky and found a 700mm diameter by 2500 mm long steam drum from a cardboard factory which I now use. It is around 12 mm thick and 700 kg. It really does work well. I had a chap come out and dynamically balance it and there are some quite huge blocks added to the ends to get it right. Runs sweet now.

On our buckets or 20 hp and a few other bikes I feel quite safe using it. However over 50 hp, not all all. I have huge bearings and large bolts holding this down to a concrete floor, but at 160KPH or so, if something went wrong and it came loose, I be picking up the pieces 5 km down the road. It has a huge potential energy at 160KPH. Not for the feint hearted.

I have decided in order to run the higher power motors I have to add load to the whole system other than inertial.

I have purchased 4 x 285mm vented disk brakes, calipers and a control system and am busy setting this up now. The idea is to add load to the drum in a linear fashion so I can still do an inertia type run but in first gear rather than 4 or 6. The brakes making up the extra load.

This whole process cuts down on the potential energy stored in the drum at high speed.

The other plus is I can hold a steady load and make change to the ignition and fuel mixture and see the effect. I think it is the only way with 2 strokes in getting them up to running temperature under load.

Hope to have it running in the next 2 weeks.
    ........Rules are for fools and a guide for the wise ..............

http://www.marshland.co.nz

Bike
    Bultaco Metralla GT

DIY Dyno Thread

There's an entire thread devoted solely to DIY Dynos here: https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...78284-DIY-dyno
    Might be the best place for dyno discussion.

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Below is an excerpt from:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...s-first-gp-win

"Honda’s CBR600 has powered Moto2 since its inaugural 2010 season, but the 600 is nearing the end of its shelf life, so the class needs a new engine. Many alternatives were considered, including a return to 250 two-strokes, with a 250cc v-twin version of the Suter 500 V4.

Triumph's new 765cc triple that will power Moto2 from 2019
    A 750 (in fact 765cc) makes a lot of sense because Moto2’s job is to get riders ready for 260 horsepower MotoGP bikes, so they need to learn to spin the rear tyre and use the throttle to steer. This season Moto2 gets traction control and other rider aids for the first time, because riders also need to learn about electronics before they graduate to the premier class. Traction control isn’t really required by a 125bhp 600 but it will come in handy with a 160 horsepower 765."

So close yet so far.

Better get it ready for next time Fletto.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by marsheng View Post
    Interesting reading. I to looked at a drum filled with concrete, but I would have put gussets inside the drum to strengthen it and then filled it with concrete.

I was lucky and found a 700mm diameter by 2500 mm long steam drum from a cardboard factory which I now use. It is around 12 mm thick and 700 kg. It really does work well. I had a chap come out and dynamically balance it and there are some quite huge blocks added to the ends to get it right. Runs sweet now.

On our buckets or 20 hp and a few other bikes I feel quite safe using it. However over 50 hp, not all all. I have huge bearings and large bolts holding this down to a concrete floor, but at 160KPH or so, if something went wrong and it came loose, I be picking up the pieces 5 km down the road. It has a huge potential energy at 160KPH. Not for the feint hearted.

I have decided in order to run the higher power motors I have to add load to the whole system other than inertial.

I have purchased 4 x 285mm vented disk brakes, calipers and a control system and am busy setting this up now. The idea is to add load to the drum in a linear fashion so I can still do an inertia type run but in first gear rather than 4 or 6. The brakes making up the extra load.

This whole process cuts down on the potential energy stored in the drum at high speed.

The other plus is I can hold a steady load and make change to the ignition and fuel mixture and see the effect. I think it is the only way with 2 strokes in getting them up to running temperature under load.

Hope to have it running in the next 2 weeks.
    I donīt know what 'gussets' are. i googled it and it said 'wedges'.
    In my roller i have a steelsupport inside at the middle that are welded to the roller and then a bushing is pressed between it and the axle.

This support is 60mm thick and drilled through from side to side to let the concrete 'grip' the roller and also when i was casting, let it expand through it.

Bike
    ducati

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by shnaggs View Post
    Interesting!
    Check out my YouTube channel! - 2STROKE STUFFING -
    https://www.youtube.com/2STROKESTUFFING
    Two strokes & rum!

Thread Information