Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SV650 engine in VFR400 frame progress

Bike
    1992 VFR400R, 2007 SV650 Pro Twin
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...y-alex-zemlin/

check the rad location and read the blurb about how/why/what.

very interesting. Also a super sanitary bike that looks like a VTR 250 but 1000 cc. Who wouldnt want one?
    Wow, I hadn't even visualised it. Thanks heaps.

Update. I've been helping my mate (who helped me build the bike) with getting his house ready for renting. But we have the next steps planned. Have to take the airbox off, injectors off, drop the engine, rear swingarm off again, forks off. So we can do some more frame welding.

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    Wow, I hadn't even visualised it. Thanks heaps.

Update. I've been helping my mate (who helped me build the bike) with getting his house ready for renting. But we have the next steps planned. Have to take the airbox off, injectors off, drop the engine, rear swingarm off again, forks off. So we can do some more frame welding.
    it wouldent be to hard to fabricate some adpator plates for the airbox

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    Progress: Have an exhaust system as of today thanks to Peter at Custom Chambers, East Tamaki, bad ass, tuned for good power to 11,000rpm. Still no final radiator idea yet.
    Have had to remove the oil radiator. Will mount the oil radiator where the top VFR400 radiator used to go. Then maybe some side radiators, will go to a professional for the radiators aswell. Peter was great value and has 34 years of experience. Feel I just got lucky as he was the first exhaust guy I went to. He whipped this up in one day, only gave him the bike this morning and the muffler at 4pm this avo. All fitted now.

Better pics courtesy of new cellphone thanks to the boss at ThermoTech... a badass Galaxy S3.

Took this long for an update as we had to remove the engine and reweld in a cross member that I'd cut out realising that it now fit just fine. Also, have only been able to work on it one night every two weeks approx.

Jason

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    looking awesome! keep up the great work, one of the more interesting build threads in a while!

Bike
    Progress, fired it up today, check it out in this vid.

First firing. (Well second really)

Bike
    A big Wheel, and a sponge bob scooter :P
    Quote Originally Posted by vtec View Post
    Progress, fired it up today, check it out in this vid.

First firing. (Well second really)
    LOVE IT!!!

congrats on the 1st fire up

When Life thows me a curve
    ...I lean into it!

Bike
    vfr400 NC30, SRX600 project
    Wow awesome! I haven't gone back far - sv650 loom, dash and cables? And will that be the final place of the cooler(s) on the side there, could be some interesting bodywork?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    GPR150
    bet you are glade you have got this far ! it was around 3 years ago you told me at HD's you were building this , i was with glen williams

Bike
    Meads speed 650R, Kawasaki S2a
    hey dude - long time no see - Yep this type of converison is slow - but once the frame and heavy fabrication is done you can make good progress quickly. It took us about 6 months to get my ZXR frame ready for the ER650 motor. Then another 6 months before it was track ready.

If you hit any snags then flick me a line, we went through all the same issues like radiators, Chain length and tensioned rollers to keep them off the frame, exhuast, shifter linkages.

i never had a std ER dash, i bought a flash datalogger dash - but any aftermarker styled one will work just as good as a std one and be lighter and probably cheaper.

all you need is 90RWHP and you'll be in business........
    Chappy

Come see what the fuss is about....................http://www.californiasuperbikeschool.co.nz/

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    long time no updates!
    Glad to see it wasn't relegated permanently to the back of the shed!.
    Any ideas on fairings for it, or you gonna go the naked route?
    SP2 fairings might go well on it given the radiator placement

Bike
    KR-1S, KR1-SV, KXR500, ZXR 4/600
    Hi,

normaly I only read the ESE-topic, but just had a look on what people are building here and came across this. nice project.

I myself stuck an SV650 engine in a KR1S frame. not for racing, but I wanted a reliable bike with the same power but loads of more torque as my "original" KR1S for when the misses goes along for a ride.

solved my radiator-problem by using the top one of your NC30 and aother one from a 50cc Gilera under the front cylinder. When the injection and it's dash were still on it (swapped injection later for carb's), temperature under normal fast street riding always stayed arround +/- 80°.

http://www.kr-1s.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=67

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Only just noticed a notification to this thread as I was clearing out my emails. Haven't been here in a while...

Fantastic work!

What's the next job on it?

Bike
    Finished. Just got small improvements to make over time now

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/j5VtV9p

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Well done dude. Didn't take too long did it?

How does it ride? Worth the effort?

Bike
    Hehe.

It rides incredible. Somehow feels more nimble than a normal VFR400R, and more powerful than a normal SV650. I weighed it today, and it's a mere 160kg wet, with lights. It'd be about 156kg without lights. with a 51% 49% rear bias. I'm so excited about how light it is because I didn't expect that. It's noticeably lighter than either a VFR or an SV. And even though it's longer and lower than an SV and geared really tall for about 100kph in first, it's right on the cusp of pure power wheelies in first while keeping tucked down.

My mate Todd rode it today, and described it as riding a bull. I describe it as like riding a shotgun blast. The exhaust sounds incredible. It runs so smooth, and so incredibly torquey.

Seriously. I'm in love.

Edit: A VFR400R weighs 182kg wet. So it's over 20kg lighter than a normal VFR. And an SV650 weighs 198kg wet, so it's about 40kg lighter than a normal SV650. I might have done something amazing unwittingly.

Thread Information