Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possibly heading over to NZ to live. A few questions

Bike
    2008 R6

Possibly heading over to NZ to live. A few questions

So I have been reading about importing bikes from the US etc. I have a few questions.

As far as something they don't like such as headlights, brakes etc... is that a problem when importing it or just when getting the WOF done? So right now I have a track ready 2003 CBR600RR.

The engine is all stock, the wheels are stock the body work is patched up OEM, but it has:
    - Braided lines
    - Aftermarket rear shock
    - Aftermarket slip-on
    - No lights
    - clip-ons
    but
    - I do have lights and indicators (OEM) and OEM brake lines etc that are OFF the bike. Also anyone have ANY IDEA if a 2003 CBR600RR would need new lights?

So if I have proof of ownership and but it is not street ready for New Zealand will customs give me grief? Or can I import the bike then if I decide to put it on the road, I can take the necessary steps to do so, in order to comply with the WOF?

Another question - anyone have experience in terms of how expensive it is to change a car from left hand drive to right hand drive and who I could contact in NZ, that would know?

Sorry but I have a few other questions if you guys/gals don't mind helping me with:
    Insurance - so it is optional down there, but typically if one has full coverage what are you running for on:
    - Motorcycle 600cc supersport not living in Auckland area (not sure if that matters)
    - Car like a Mazda 3
    - How easy is it to get a family doctor (certain places in Canada it can be very hard)
    - Do most family doctors take care of kids too, or do you need to find a pediatrician as well?
    - Being that it is a state run system, are there any out of pocket expenses for medical needs? Do you need private insurance like the US or not?
    Thanks!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post

Insurance - so it is optional down there, but typically if one has full coverage what are you running for on:
    - Motorcycle 600cc supersport not living in Auckland area (not sure if that matters)
    - Car like a Mazda 3
    - How easy is it to get a family doctor (certain places in Canada it can be very hard)
    - Do most family doctors take care of kids too, or do you need to find a pediatrician as well?
    - Being that it is a state run system, are there any out of pocket expenses for medical needs? Do you need private insurance like the US or not?
    Thanks!
    Not sure about any of your first set of questions. But I can help with a couple of the extras.

My GSX-R600 costs me $NZ 543.00 per year. Area is not relevant.

Car - Not sure about a Maxda 3. My 2002 Subaru Lancaster wagon costs $458.00

Doctor - Pretty easy unless you live way out in the boonies...

Pediatrician - Nah. Your GP will do it all. Only need a periatrician if the kid gets seriously sick.

Medical Insurance - First off, you do have to pay for some of your medical costs. Although the state pays some of the costs, it don't pay all. You also pay a part of your prescription costs - typically $15.00 per script - maybe more if the product is not fully subsidised.
    Please yourself about med insurance. In a nutshell, if your health is average you will break about even. If your health is good you subsidize the sickies. If your health is below par you are better with insurance. Health insurers do need to make a profit so they need to take in more than they put out.
    I've never had med insurance. But now that I am an old bugger with bits falling off, I maybe should've had something.

Hope this is useful.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html
    This is the New Zealand land transport agency website and the link above is their guide to importing a vehicle
    Should help some

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    It's legal to drive left hand drive cars here so you don't have to change it over. However, I believe there's an extra step required to get them road legal here, although I couldn't tell you exactly what it is.

Insurance is optional but, as always, better to have it and not need it. If your bike is not going onto the road (track only) it can be insured for Fire, Theft and Transporting but not when you're at the track (there is insurance available for track days but the bike has to be fully road legal and current, you have to notify the company when you're doing a track day and there's often a 1 off charge per track day and not all companies offer it). Mazda 3 you won't have any problems.

There's plenty of Family Doctors and they see kids as well. Finding a doctor is only a problem if you move to the arse end of nowhere.

Private medical insurance isn't needed, but it makes things considerably easier and faster.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    These guys do conversions, but it ain't cheap. Better to buy a RHD car here, they're cheap enough.
    http://www.bunce.co.nz/RHDriveConversion.aspx

Medical insurance may be vital if you're not a NZ citizen, as subsidies only apply to NZ citizens and those with residency. Pay to check with Immigration on that.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    2008 R6
    Thank you for the replies!

I got to speak with a Kiwi who is married to a Canadian and is subsequently stuck here. It was quite good... let me in on a lot of good information.

From the research I have been getting, it seems like bringing the car over won't be a good idea, unless I kept it as a LHD, which I could.... but I don't think it is safe. Also, making it RHD is a bit more of a PIA than I thought it would be. It's too bad because I will only get about $11,000cnd for it and for the same car there I'm looking at about $19,000nzd (and that's used). Of course it makes the shipping costs a bit less.... and well the LHD to RHD conversion IS EXPENSIVE!!!!

Looks like I need to change the headlights on my bike too!

As far as the healthcare, I won't need insurance if I am accepted for residency... I guess IF is the operative word.

Fingers crossed.... any more good info or tips ... let me know. BTW, I love how you guys have Jan. 2 off too.

Oh one more thing.... anyone want a GROUP BUY on bikes and split the container costs... just kidding... I already have too much to worry about.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Where abouts are you looking at living anyways?

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    Where abouts are you looking at living anyways?
    That's a good question. I don't know.... I wish I did.

We have sold the house here and my business as well.... I am an Engineer so I fall under the Immediate and Long term work shortage list. Thing is from my limited experience, it seems as though local companies kinda want you to have your residency permit sorted out first. However, we can't do the medical tests until my wife has our 2nd son..... which means we have to wait until we can do those, before I feel comfortable sending in our papers.

So to answer your question - wherever I can find a job I like. Although we loved Chch, it will most likely be in the North Island and quite possibly around New Plymouth as this is where I see many of the jobs in my field.

BUT... nothing is for certain until they say we are allowed to immigrate.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    That's a good question. I don't know.... I wish I did.

We have sold the house here and my business as well.... I am an Engineer so I fall under the Immediate and Long term work shortage list. Thing is from my limited experience, it seems as though local companies kinda want you to have your residency permit sorted out first. However, we can't do the medical tests until my wife has our 2nd son..... which means we have to wait until we can do those, before I feel comfortable sending in our papers.

So to answer your question - wherever I can find a job I like. Although we loved Chch, it will most likely be in the North Island and quite possibly around New Plymouth as this is where I see many of the jobs in my field.

BUT... nothing is for certain until they say we are allowed to immigrate.
    Nice,
    Christchurch might be a good choice soon though as soon as the big rebuild happens and takes shape, what kind of engineer are you?

Bike
    2008 R6
    Ah, if I was Civil yes.... but I am Chemical.... I could probably blow it up better than I could build it. Just kidding.

Bike
    a red heap
    sorry, New Zealand is full, try Australia.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Ah, if I was Civil yes.... but I am Chemical.... I could probably blow it up better than I could build it. Just kidding.
    Maybe try Iraq? Haha

Bike
    Dont have one now
    you wil have to change the headlights on the bike and it aint cheap here. I had to do the R1, managed to get one from a wreck in Aussie, still cost $500 + shipping.

New Plymouth is nice, was voted as one of the most desirable places to live in the world for a population around 75000 by some poll or other.

Bike
    2008 R6
    Iraq -> might make a lot of money... might get killed... no thanks.

I might just keep the CBR as a track only bike.... anyone know about the import bit though... can I at least bring it into the country if I don't have it all sorted out (headlights etc)? I know it has to be clean.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Iraq -> might make a lot of money... might get killed... no thanks.

I might just keep the CBR as a track only bike.... anyone know about the import bit though... can I at least bring it into the country if I don't have it all sorted out (headlights etc)? I know it has to be clean.
    depends how picky they wanna be, you could dissemble the front end and remove the rear wheel then being it over separate and pass it off as parts, but they will probably expect you to pay GST

Thread Information