Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions/Advice

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01

Question Suggestions/Advice

Hey guys and gals,

I'm planning on doing to a top to bottom (or bottom to top) ride with a mate, planning on doing this sort of route.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZxRhsEr5TP52
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	60 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	336660

https://goo.gl/maps/S88mbpRifpu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	67 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	336659

It's looking to be about 4,500kms. I'm very used to travelling long distances on twisty roads etc etc, but are there any points along this route where Petrol isn't accessible? Anywhere that would be the absolute worst to break down? Is there much in the way of Roadside Assistance/Bike recovery in the event of an accident or breakdown? How long would a ride like this take, taking time to cruise through it as it isn't a race, ten days or so?

End goal is to do the trip on something silly, like a pair of scooters or some really knacked old nuggets/shitters, none of this sport touring, new, shiny, BMW wankery haha!

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    4500km in ten days is 450km/day. That's hard talk a on a dunger. And doesn't leave any scope for actually looking around at the various points of interest.

If ten days is your budget, I suspect you'll need at least a 600cc bike. Otherwise stretch your travel time by at least a week...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    4500km in ten days is 450km/day. That's hard talk a on a dunger. And doesn't leave any scope for actually looking around at the various points of interest.

If ten days is your budget, I suspect you'll need at least a 600cc bike. Otherwise stretch your travel time by at least a week...

Hard yakka, I meant...

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Very fair call, I didn't even think of the very basic maths being that'd be 450kms a day haha!

So two and a half weeks minimum, do you reckon?

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Really depends whether you want to just ride, or actually stop and look at stuff... There's certainly lots to see on that route.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    Really depends whether you want to just ride, or actually stop and look at stuff... There's certainly lots to see on that route.

Aye. We often average closer to 650k/day, but that ranges from 400 to 800 depending on what we want to see/do.

I suggest you list the things you want to see and do first, then plan your daily ride accordingly. I like to do sightseeing in the AM, then trundle off to the next stop, arriving early enough to unpack and walk a bit to dinner. If I'm just making miles I leave early and plan 20min stops every 3 hrs max, most of the year you can rattle off 600k before dark no trouble and still catch a good lunch and a couple of sidetracks.

Try to have a backup plan for each day, if the weather turns to shit with a bit of flexibility you can often ride around it.

Also, I like the general idea of using a machine that's completely unsuitable for the task, those are the only real adventures.

Luck, eh?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    The overall route is pretty good. I've been on all those roads and many more so could always debate details. You won't have any major issues with petrol assuming a range of around 250km.
    If you haven't ridden much in NZ before, I would not ride a shitter. There are some great roads there on a good sports tourer. Sure, it may be more of an "adventure" than on a 600. But if you want adventure, I would ride some of the gravel roads in the north and especially the south.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    It would be a shame to go all that way and not turn off at Balclutha and go through the Catlins to Invercargill.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    AA plus recovery scheme

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I did something akin to your route over two trips using BMW wankery. I like BMWs and all you peasants who don’t are just missing out . Both trips were a blast.
    We took 3 weeks to do the South Island this summer past so our rate of travel was somewhat slower than you are planning. That said we did a lot of stuff in that time other than ride. SI roads are bike heaven no question but we wanted to experience other things as well.
    Would add my support to the suggestion you take in the Catlins. An absolute highlight of our trip. No offence to ChCh but leave that bit out along with boring SH1 and make sure you spend time in the Catlins. Curio Bay is awesome.
    I was concerned about fuel too, waste of my time worrying about it, zero issues finding fuel and we both run 95.
    Arthur’s Pass, do it on a weekend, you are welcome.

North Island. Northland and Taranaki have some riding delights that are not to be missed. Except for getting to Cape Reinga none of them include SH1

So if possible, either cut down the ground you want to cover or allow yourself twice the time you are proposing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    Haha, BMW's are great they're just too practical for this task haha!

So a couple of people have suggested the Catlins. That's following the east coast round to Invercargil instead of heading in-land is it? It looks good on Google haha! Any other suggestions? Anything on the North Island I should try to fit in?

I've done Takaka Hill a few times, State Highway 6 from Nelson, through Murch' to Westport and then back up past Karamea. Also Lewis Pass from Nelson down to Hanmer, over to the east coast and up through Kaikoura to Blenheim and back to Nelson and then Takaka.

The roads here in Tassie are pretty similar to what you guys have over there, if not even more unrelentingly twisty so yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

As for time to do the trip, I've got over a month's paid leave saved up at work so I can take as long as I need. if that's going to be closer to 20 days or three weeks, so be it.

Also, with Chch, that's mainly for somewhere to stay and to just check out the city :P I've only been there once, arriving at about 3am to fly out at 6am so I want to see what it's all about.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by WALRUS View Post
    Haha, BMW's are great they're just too practical for this task haha!

So a couple of people have suggested the Catlins. That's following the east coast round to Invercargil instead of heading in-land is it? It looks good on Google haha! Any other suggestions? Anything on the North Island I should try to fit in?

I've done Takaka Hill a few times, State Highway 6 from Nelson, through Murch' to Westport and then back up past Karamea. Also Lewis Pass from Nelson down to Hanmer, over to the east coast and up through Kaikoura to Blenheim and back to Nelson and then Takaka.

The roads here in Tassie are pretty similar to what you guys have over there, if not even more unrelentingly twisty so yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

As for time to do the trip, I've got over a month's paid leave saved up at work so I can take as long as I need. if that's going to be closer to 20 days or three weeks, so be it.

Also, with Chch, that's mainly for somewhere to stay and to just check out the city :P I've only been there once, arriving at about 3am to fly out at 6am so I want to see what it's all about.
    Forgotten World Highway, the Paraparas and Surfers Highway are well worth your attention. All easily done in a day or two. Stay in Whangamomona for the fully immersive experience, the pub is great fun.

You are spot on with the Catlins, getting from Invercargill to Dunedin will be much more interesting.

ChCh has lots of potholes and orange cones so this will be an adventure ride as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    So the plan has developed and evolved.

Currently we're looking at around 5,500kms on the road (+ the ferry from North to South).

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments on the route? It has too many changes to fit onto one Google map..

https://goo.gl/maps/gP5wwebnWat

https://goo.gl/maps/9pmu3y382x92

https://goo.gl/maps/CyTVdG6ovK52

As far as bikes for the trip, there are three of us looking to do it and we've mutually agreed at a budget of $1 per km rounded to the nearest $500 so with the current route, $5,500 to spend on the bike and any mods/parts etc. The other condition (because we don't want it to be too easy) is that the bike has to be European and/or a two-stroke. So long as it falls within those guidelines, anything goes.. Naked, sports, tourer, whatever.. Should be quite the adventure!

it isn't going to happen until after I've moved over so it is still probably a couple of years away, but yeah. Should be a good'n!
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    ...The other condition (because we don't want it to be too easy) is that the bike has to be European and/or a two-stroke. So long as it falls within those guidelines, anything goes...
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...dc782f61452363

Hehe...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    So the plan has developed and evolved.

Currently we're looking at around 5,500kms on the road (+ the ferry from North to South).

Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments on the route? It has too many changes to fit onto one Google map..

https://goo.gl/maps/gP5wwebnWat

https://goo.gl/maps/9pmu3y382x92

https://goo.gl/maps/CyTVdG6ovK52

As far as bikes for the trip, there are three of us looking to do it and we've mutually agreed at a budget of $1 per km rounded to the nearest $500 so with the current route, $5,500 to spend on the bike and any mods/parts etc. The other condition (because we don't want it to be too easy) is that the bike has to be European and/or a two-stroke. So long as it falls within those guidelines, anything goes.. Naked, sports, tourer, whatever.. Should be quite the adventure!

it isn't going to happen until after I've moved over so it is still probably a couple of years away, but yeah. Should be a good'n!

Map2: Leaving flat point, go back past Gladstone but then go straight ahead onto Longbush rd to Martinborough, then left at the town square onto Lake Ferry rd, then turn right onto Kahutara rd, left onto the East/West access rd, then right onto Western Lake rd to Featherston. Continue from there.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information