Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KC - 1,000km Cruise

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    I have already done a couple of 1000km rides over the past few months & planning on doing something similar over labour weekend

too much
    I am getting better at using the GPS(I would like to think so) but I think the software has just improved to look after people like me.
    my arse is just recovering from the last 800 ride Still don't know how I managed to do 2 gravel sections.
    Still looking forward to it though. Going to have to check out the starting point maybe this weekend(always get lost in the Tron)

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    too much
    I am getting better at using the GPS(I would like to think so) but I think the software has just improved to look after people like me.
    my arse is just recovering from the last 800 ride Still don't know how I managed to do 2 gravel sections.
    Still looking forward to it though. Going to have to check out the starting point maybe this weekend(always get lost in the Tron)

pre-ride done 867kms in just over 10hrs ready to go !!!
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    pre-ride done 867kms in just over 10hrs ready to go !!!
    and i would be still riding 2+ hrs later, still with a silly grin on my face
    or is that a grimace from the pain?

good on you for getting out in the great weather we have been having

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    he's back !!!
    and i would be still riding 2+ hrs later, still with a silly grin on my face
    or is that pain?

good on you for getting out in the great weather we have been having
    roll on the 10th Nov

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Instructions and check points have just been received.

Bike goes in for a 40k service on Monday.

I'm looking forward to the 10th.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Thanks for the heads up about mail out.Was waiting till 5th.Part way through trip planning so far.I think I might wear out the inidicator switch, on the 1/4 to 2/4 of the ride.Going to have to be careful about Fuel stops in the middle, may do extra stop just to make sure.And of course the Hamilton maze at the end.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    he's back !!!
    route looks cool !! although the first leg will be slow going & I haven't done a "Coro Loop" for awhile with the rest being nice & easy with the odd bit that could be swapped out for alternative stretch of road

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Looks like it might be a wet cruise for the Hamilton side looking at the long range forecast.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Looks like it might be a wet cruise for the Hamilton side looking at the long range forecast.
    just like the past few years ay John!

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Just got the GPS to play ball, well almost.
    Went and found the start.
    Only a few more hours
    Off for some well needed kip.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Off for some well needed kip.
    Lucky bugger!

I'm about to head to Hamilton. I've only managed to get 3-4 hours sleep. It's going to be a long and interesting day.

At least the weather seems reasonable.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    At least the weather seems reasonable.

I'll take that back. The weather is fantastic.!

Bike
    I just got home. What a day! So, last week my bike went in for a 40k service. Today, it turned out that when they put the bike back together the fuel tank vent hose got pinched under the fuel tank creating a vacuum. The bike seemed to run normally, but when I stopped at the gas station, I couldn't open the filler cap due to the force of the vacuum.

It took a bit of faffing about to get the issue resolved. The end result is that I rocked up at the start location an hour or so after everyone else had gone, so I ended up doing the event alone - I didn't see anybody at any of the checkpoints.

Despite the initial hiccup it was a great day's riding. Nice weather and roads. The only real negative - there seemed to be an endless procession of caravans and camper vans all over the Coromandel. All up I managed 1300km of riding in 22 hours.

One other thing of note. I nearly witnessed a very bad accident when a rental car pulled out of the National Park T junction right in front of a car that was probably doing 90-100km/h in the 70 zone. Luckily there was nobody coming the other way so the car was able to swerve onto the other side of the road. It was a pretty near miss though.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I just got home. What a day! So, last week my bike went in for a 40k service. Today, it turned out that when they put the bike back together the fuel tank vent hose got pinched under the fuel tank creating a vacuum. The bike seemed to run normally, but when I stopped at the gas station, I couldn't open the filler cap due to the force of the vacuum.

It took a bit of faffing about to get the issue resolved. The end result is that I rocked up at the start location an hour or so after everyone else had gone, so I ended up doing the event alone - I didn't see anybody at any of the checkpoints.

Despite the initial hiccup it was a great day's riding. Nice weather and roads. The only real negative - there seemed to be an endless procession of caravans and camper vans all over the Coromandel. All up I managed 1300km of riding in 22 hours.

One other thing of note. I nearly witnessed a very bad accident when a rental car pulled out of the National Park T junction right in front of a car that was probably doing 90-100km/h in the 70 zone. Luckily there was nobody coming the other way so the car was able to swerve onto the other side of the road. It was a pretty near miss though
    Glad you got to the problem and sorted it, those things always seem to appear just when you don't need them
    You have to remember always be observant.
    I followed a driver who I wanted to pass, but they crossed the centreline so often it wasn't worth the risk.
    Lots of drivers who could have slowed down in appropriate places to let others through, but didn't. Lots of others who did.

The GPS played up and a couple of times gave me 2 routes for the same intersection LOL
    The bike performed like clockwork.

However, It was a fantastic day and a great ride, one of the better ones I have done, not much traffic generally which was great.
    Looking forward to next years event another year to wait

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Was indeed a great day for a ride, left Eastside Tavern @0650 checked back in @1812 all up 1102km for the day & even managed a @450km ride on Sunday cause the day was still a beaut, partner was in wgtn & not due home till late evening so why not I say........ working on having a different bike for next years 1KC

Thread Information