1 2.33%
  • No

42 97.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High beam

Bike
    S1000RR

High beam

I know some of you guys ride with high beam on during the day for safety reasons but, may I say it, damn some modern bike's are bright as hell! It's like riding with a small sun! Was chased by a Ninja 300 the other day and it was like driving while some kid with a laser pointer trying to shine at my eyes.

Some may counter-argue it's better to be annoying than not seen but still somewhat feels OTT (insert loud pipe saves lives here for good measure). Knowing this I never rode with high beam on during the day.

Thoughts?

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Blinding your fellow road users will piss them off and make the want to run you off the road. Not really a wise safety manoeuvre in my view

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    I know some of you guys ride with high beam on during the day for safety reasons but, may I say it, damn some modern bike's are bright as hell! It's like riding with a small sun! Was chased by a Ninja 300 the other day and it was like driving while some kid with a laser pointer trying to shine at my eyes.

Some may counter-argue it's better to be annoying than not seen but still somewhat feels OTT (insert loud pipe saves lives here for good measure). Knowing this I never rode with high beam on during the day.

Thoughts?
    Back in the day, when daylights on cars were uncommon (like only on Volvos), I used to ride with just my headlight on, except when on the open road, touring - then high beam. That was on my XJ900.

Today, riding a Tiger XCA, with daylights very much more common on other vehicles, even though the twins on the Triumph are pretty bright, I also use the running lights to be more visible.

Brights and hazards come on when I'm lanesplitting..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Blinding your fellow road users will piss them off and make the want to run you off the road. Not really a wise safety manoeuvre in my view
    What she said.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Had the same recently. May have been OK 20 years ago with old tech lighting - now it's just fucking annoying and bordering on dangerous as it makes it even harder to judge how far away the bike is.

No doubt group riding with your high beam on is ultra risky.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    I know some of you guys ride with high beam on during the day for safety reasons
    you spelt cause they're aresholes incorrectly

Bike
    none yet
    Not to mention illegal if you're not dipping them when approaching oncoming traffic.
    Made you look

Bike
    R6
    Fucking hipsters.

Some cagers have starting doing this too, though the drivers do seem to be fucking old so it may be dodderyness over cuntiness.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    It's a headlight arms race out there... Modern headlights are brighter than the sun and no competition for my old bikes, whos headlights used to be pretty good, but now are next to useless against the new tech
    As for high beam during the day? I agree with Jello, they're arseholes
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    While I agree about hi beam lights and blinding on coming as well as traffic in front

I support the use of extra positioning lights.

it makes me more visible to oncoming people

but it doesn’t guarantee they won’t get back on their side of the road.

the flash of the high beam sometimes helps.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    the flash of the high beam sometimes helps.
    Going over the kaimais on the weekend, flashing headlights did fuck all to get people into the slow vehicles lanes; so much so that I had to check my lights still worked at the next stop. Are people simply becoming so used to this stuff it is losing effect light high vis clothing?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystone View Post
    Going over the kaimais on the weekend, flashing headlights did fuck all to get people into the slow vehicles lanes; so much so that I had to check my lights still worked at the next stop. Are people simply becoming so used to this stuff it is losing effect light high vis clothing?
    getting people in front to move over, infringes on their right to do whatever they want. LOL

the Emergency services have a hard job getting a lot of people to move over.

The other day I witnessed a 'person' pullout in front of an ambulance which had been visible for approx 100m. The person had been stopped at a red light. The ambulance had just reached the lights with siren, lights AND INDICATOR ON. This 'person' then pulled out as 'he' had a green light. The ambo had to take evasive action. FFS.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/i...s/wallbash.gif

its all about me, me, ME not so much a community more what the individual believes.Yes there is so much hivis and signs etc,no surprises that people dont see them as important.I have 3 High Beam lights, that usually gets them moving, I can turn them up to blinding level if required.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/i...ilies/cool.gif

My main problem is on-coming vehicles on my side of the road, who dont seem to care that some poor sod is coming the other way.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R100GSPD
    no,no ,no and no for high beam during the day.Even with old skool halogens its bloody distracting and annoying.I belive double DRLs are more effective than even high beam.If you have HID high beams can i be even more emphatic with the no!.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    High beams are annoying, particularly the LED/HID variety. Now add a bit of unadjusted aim in the mix and they are headache/rage inducing. I have sometimes let people pass while driving a car, and then given them the same treatment following them (only if they are a car). It's fairly quick that my presence is acknowledged. I don't do this as a habit.

Bike
    R6
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    getting people in front to move over, infringes on their right to do whatever they want. LOL

the Emergency services have a hard job getting a lot of people to move over.

The other day I witnessed a 'person' pullout in front of an ambulance which had been visible for approx 100m. The person had been stopped at a red light. The ambulance had just reached the lights with siren, lights AND INDICATOR ON. This 'person' then pulled out as 'he' had a green light. The ambo had to take evasive action. FFS.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/i...s/wallbash.gif

its all about me, me, ME not so much a community more what the individual believes.Yes there is so much hivis and signs etc,no surprises that people dont see them as important.I have 3 High Beam lights, that usually gets them moving, I can turn them up to blinding level if required.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/i...ilies/cool.gif

My main problem is on-coming vehicles on my side of the road, who dont seem to care that some poor sod is coming the other way.
    Fuckwits everywhere alright! Was getting pretty tempting to swing out and pass them on the left in the slow bay, done that plenty of times in passing lanes but slow bays on downhill corners seem a bit dodgier...

Thread Information