Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's happened to all the track day threads?

Bike
    Honda PC800

What's happened to all the track day threads?

used to see heaps of threads about the different track days around the country. Now seems they barely feature.
    Those hampton downs evening sessions look fun
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    used to see heaps of threads about the different track days around the country. Now seems they barely feature.
    Have been on a few ART day threads but less people seem interested.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    noticed that too. few of the trackdays Ive been to have had low numbers - great for me as more sessions = more time on track. Have told organisers at almost every one that Id attend alot more of the if they were advertised on places like kb etc, and all I get in response is a shrug and a mumbled excuse as to why they arent advertised.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Better things to do with their days off than go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and stop.... stand around getting all hot and bothered then go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and stop again.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    noticed that too. few of the trackdays Ive been to have had low numbers - great for me as more sessions = more time on track. Have told organisers at almost every one that Id attend alot more of the if they were advertised on places like kb etc, and all I get in response is a shrug and a mumbled excuse as to why they arent advertised.
    And the advertising they do have is quite poor.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Better things to do with their days off than go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and stop.... stand around getting all hot and bothered then go around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and around and stop again.
    Never done one then huh?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    And the advertising they do have is quite poor.
    would agree with you there.

You have been putting in a fine effort though.

I can see the benefit, I guess most noobs like myself, would be deterred by the fact, they know that they cant go fast (me is one) and don't want to look a fool.

Somehow need to blend road rider training with a track day for noobs.....
    no one else that day just noobs, ok so it could be 2 days.
    split the noobs into small groups so its almost one on one
    have a session first to split the new ones and more proficient ones
    I reckon that would be a goer.

it would require a great effort to do.

but they need a great deal more advertising and user feedback to encourage people to give it a go.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post

I can see the benefit, I guess most noobs like myself, would be deterred by the fact, they know that they cant go fast (me is one) and don't want to look a fool.
    Just because you are slow doesn't mean you look like a fool. Better to turn up at one of these track days and go at your own pace, than try to ride to the pace of someone else and come off. It's the people who come off and take up session time getting their bike/oil spill cleaned up who look like the fools.

Plenty of 'noobs' in the lower group. There will always be someone faster and always someone slower than you. The important part is to get out there and have a go.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Just because you are slow doesn't mean you look like a fool. Better to turn up at one of these track days and go at your own pace, than try to ride to the pace of someone else and come off. It's the people who come off and take up session time getting their bike/oil spill cleaned up who look like the fools.

Plenty of 'noobs' in the lower group. There will always be someone faster and always someone slower than you. The important part is to get out there and have a go.

I was referring to those who don't go and perhaps never will.
    My first group ride I made a mistake of trying to ride at others peoples pace. I didnt want to look like an idiot.
    That was my experience, I want others to be aware they need to ride their own pace- 'self responsibility' I call it.
    Its a reason I haven't been to a track day. I want to be confident in what I am doing. The instructors will tell me what to do, I just need to be able to do it confidently.

Next year should be a good time to get a bike, and try it for me. I wont be worried about the speed just the technique.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post

Agreed. There will always be somebody slower and faster. Its not about speed.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Whats happenned to all the track day threads?

Not sure I agree about dwindling numbers going to TD's - take HD for example. Since last August I've been four times and three of those days were oversubscribed (20 December being the exception but understandable so close to Xmas). As for advertising, not sure organisers need to - for those peeps remotely interested in going to a TD then hop on to the hampton downs, Taupo (or any other) track website for dates. They're not kept a secret by any means I'm personally looking forward to the ART day on 15 Feb and Taupo on 21 March. Hope to say hello to a few like-minded peeps

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianW View Post
    Not sure I agree about dwindling numbers going to TD's - take HD for example. Since last August I've been four times and three of those days were oversubscribed (20 December being the exception but understandable so close to Xmas). As for advertising, not sure organisers need to - for those peeps remotely interested in going to a TD then hop on to the hampton downs, Taupo (or any other) track website for dates. They're not kept a secret by any means I'm personally looking forward to the ART day on 15 Feb and Taupo on 21 March. Hope to say hello to a few like-minded peeps
    then why are we getting the 'we need more people or the track days will stop' message?

I still think they should advertise, and get more people involved, seems like a good thing.
    Describe in more detail what happens/needed, put contact details blah blah bah.
    What the requirements/costs are: track, transport, tyres, petrol, gear

the more people who do track days, maybe less accidents on the road, less ACC $
    its about learning what the bike an rider can do = control right?

Yes they should try and get more people to book in advance, but that's hard these days with so much other stuff going on.

There will always be the few hard core who are the back bone of these events - poor buggers(I used to be one for another cause).

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Never done one then huh?
    Better things to spend my money on than 'acing turn 5' and letting everyone on one's FB friends list, that it was the highlight of the day.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Better things to spend my money on than 'acing turn 5' and letting everyone on one's FB friends list, that it was the highlight of the day.
    You should give it a try, never know you may learn a heap.

Bike
    2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory

Whats happenned to all the track day threads?

The economics of bikes intrigues me.

People will throw money at all manner of bike-specific farkles and other paraphernalia that's worth little to eff all when on selling their ride; but when it comes to stumping up a few bucks for a full days skills development then they back off all of a sudden with a plethora of why it ain't justified.

More than a few riders in NZ and far off places have told me that one days worth of track coaching equates to 5-10 years of road riding experience. There will be a fair few naysayers in response to this but there's no doubt that I'm a better road rider for getting track time under my belt.

At the end of the day, it's about personal choice but I'd encourage people to give one track day a go and then decide.

Thread Information