Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer's gone - Newbie riders' review

Blog Entries

Summer's gone - Newbie riders' review

As we are now moving out of the prime riding time of the year, I would be interested in posts in this forum that present riders’ views on what they feel they have improved upon in their individual riding technique, and indeed what feedback they may have received from their riding companions .

To get the ball rolling: this last spring and summer saw the introduction of my fourth bike since May 2006. I got my current bike, CB900 Hornet, in August 2007. With the Givi screen, well recommended, and the Oggie Knobs this bike has served me well and approaching 15,000km and a set of tyres back at 9,500km, I am more than satisfied with the bike and my level of riding ability.

Though I have clocked 40,000km since May 06, there is never a day goes by that I do not reflect on two or more things when I ride. Here is a very good example that jumped up and surprised me (Head Checks): Riding along the motorway I move to the right lane and pass a vehicle and move back to the left lane:

1. Gear selection shift from 6th to 5th
    2. Steady throttle
    3. Mirror check
    4. Signal right
    5. Head turn hazard check*
    6. Final check 12 second horizon
    7. Change lane
    8. Passing 100kph vehicle, do not exceed 110kph** with good visual distance ahead
    9. Lean slightly forward, view passed vehicle in left mirror
    10. Signal left
    11. Head turn distance check*
    12. Change lane
    13. Cancel Indicator
    14. Gear 5th to 6th

Invariably I look back several times, twice before I accelerate to commence passing and twice again before I move back to the left lane. I suppose it is like checking the back door is locked 2 or 3 times before going to bed – I used to do that a lot but no longer. However, I still look back over my shoulder twice before changing lanes and will probably do it all the time while riding.

**Discretion, be aware in your rear view mirror of any following vehicle in your lane – no matter how far back, and scan your 12 second horizon ahead. Finally look at the driver’s shoulder of the vehicle you are passing before you get to his/her shoulder, this may often dictate your speed.

I will copy five posts from this forum thread to the Newbie Update Blogg at the end of March.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Bike
    ducati 916
    Nice bb

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Good stuff, BB - always good to have reminders about safety.
    And I am impressed by the amount of km's you have put on your bike!

Yesterday a bikie friend came over and we watched about half dozen crash videos (YouTube, etc) and that sobered us up quickly! In each case they were simply going too fast so that the "12 second horizon ahead" and other safety factors were meaningless.

As far as I am concerned, the more I reminders I get about safety, the better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckBuckNo1 View Post
    As we are now moving out of the prime riding time of the year, I would be interested in posts in this forum that present riders’ views on what they feel they have improved upon in their individual riding technique, and indeed what feedback they may have received from their riding companions .

To get the ball rolling
    Bump........

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    As we are now moving out of the prime riding time of the year, I would be interested in posts in this forum that present riders’ views on what they feel they have improved upon in their individual riding technique...
    In the last couple of weeks my cornering skills have improved greatly. I worked on it by going up to the Rimatuka summit three times, and various other rides in the Wairarapa including one today to Castlepoint on a group ride. I found several good articles on the internet about cornering, printed and read them, then went out to do as in the articles. Riding in a group has helped me quite a bit.

The other thing I have managed to cope with is riding in the wind. Holy crappola its been very WINDY recently! Trying to manage a tight corner with a sudden side gust of wind makes it all interesting, but I found total concentration was the key. Battling the wind on the Rimatukas yesterday and today to Castlepoint has left me knackered but also with a sense of accomplishment.

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    As we are now moving out of the prime riding time of the year,...
    Who says? The best is yet to come, that last for which the first was made.

Winter's just as good for riding as summer. Just different.

Don't agree with the notion that motorcycling is a summer only thing.

You'll have the newbies thinking they should garage the bike over winter.

Nothing beats a ride on a crisp overcast winter day.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Wow where do I start.

What I learned this summer.

a) 600cc supersports are farkin quick. Seriously, going for an inline-four thou after a 250 is suicide (and I'm 29 and responsible - well kinda).

b) One trackday is worth 1000km on the road. You learn so much more about cornering and braking in such a short space of time. Not for the beginner but once you're pretty confident on the road it's the next logical step.

c) You can never get complacent. Every now and again I find myself taking risks that I normally wouldn't. You have to spot it happening and dial it back a notch.

d) Actually more like part 2 of c. Bad situations develop so much quicker on a full sized bike. Yes that power and handling can help but they can also get you in teh shite real quick.

e) High beam on when splitting make a world of difference. Try it and be amazed.

I'm sure there's more but I got other threads to needle

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    +1 with Ixion. April, May June are some of the best riding months.
    Holiday traffic near nil. Slippery bubbling tar a thing of the past.
    As is sweaty crotch rot from steaming hot summer days. Roll on April. (stick July, August, Sept up ya ar**e though)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Who says? The best is yet to come, that last for which the first was made.

Winter's just as good for riding as summer. Just different.

Don't agree with the notion that motorcycling is a summer only thing.

You'll have the newbies thinking they should garage the bike over winter.

Nothing beats a ride on a crisp overcast winter day.
    Point taken, all year is good. I suppose I am just asking about the last 6mths.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    sweaty crotch rot
    Mmmmmm

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Nice one Buckbuck, reminding all and sundry about the transitions of the different seasons of motorcycling!

Always a good time to ride a bike, riding through all weathers and night helps the skills and the confidence no end! Or.. is that just me?
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    1989 GN250 cafe racer
    Blog Entries
    FIIIIIIIIINALLY got my left knee down, unfortunately learning in the process what kneesliders are there for..sorry, don't have any pics of the resulting damage! there's still a little blood in the jeans though!
    fav jeans now. people ask why theres a huge hole in the left knee and none in the right and i show them my neat gravel tattoo..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image119.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	88860  
    original quote from 98tls - Who gives a shite about Kw when you can all arrive in Fox at the same time sit and have a coffee and thank fuck for motorcycles..whatever the wording on the gas tank.

Bike
    bikeless
    Blog Entries
    why do i get the feeling i got my bike at the worst time of the year lol

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
    why do i get the feeling i got my bike at the worst time of the year lol
    WTF?

The only bad time to get a bike is later.

Bike
    DL1000 K8 VStrom
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post

c) You can never get complacent. Every now and again I find myself taking risks that I normally wouldn't. You have to spot it happening and dial it back a notch.

d) Actually more like part 2 of c. Bad situations develop so much quicker on a full sized bike. Yes that power and handling can help but they can also get you in teh shite real quick.
    Wise words. I should probably print and stick this advice to the inside of my GIVI screen so I don't forget!

My KB Videos (and pics): here

Don't ever argue with an idiot.... they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thread Information