Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Wellington - which way? time sensititve

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Where are you picking up the bike?

If airport, then onto south-western (SH20) via Puhinui Rd (SH20A), follow that onto Southern (SH1) onto Waikato Expressway. Either off SH1 at Rangiriri or at Taupiri for Ngaruawahi and then western route through to Otorohanga - you pick up SH39 just south of Te Kowhai.

Good cafés in Pirongia. Think of fueling stops down this route.

Otorohanga south to Te Kuiti (SH3) and left at Eight Mile Junction for Taumarunui on SH4 ** No fuel between Te Kuiti and Taumarunui and no cell coverage either. Follow SH4 through National Park and down to W(h)anganui. The Paraparas have no fuel after Raetihi and, again, cell coverage iffy. Then south to Wellywood.

You'll make slow time until south of Drury on the Southern - road surface through Takanini area is appalling due to road construction and after Botanic Gardens/Hill Rd overpass stay in middle lane of three lane section to avoid the forced left lane exit at Takanini.

Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/-37....a54e01!1m0!3e0
    Southbound through Takanini is better than northbound, at least, but both atrocious.

I echo getting off at Rangiriri (Te Kauwhata exit) if traffic is heavy, to go via Glen Murray if there is a lot of traffic. I travel Akl-Ham weekly and only go via Glen Murray to avoid heavy traffic - generally (like at Takanini) no one observes the temporary limits and you can be sailing through at 90ks just to keep up with the flow. However, generally southbound flows a lot better than northbound.

SH1B from Taupiri will get you nearly to the Cambridge expressway, which cuts off 5ks on the way to Karapiro (and 5 mins). 110 is the legal speed limit on the Cambridge section of the expressway. But I don't usually travel further south than Hamilton on the bike so I'd listen to Moi's route suggestions.

Don't get fuel in Auckland if you can avoid it. Generally a bit cheaper at Hampton Downs (Gull), hideously expensive at Huntly, then reasonably cheap in Avalon Drive (north side of Hamilton)/Hamilton. Prices can be wildly variable in the more remote areas - sometimes extra cheap, sometimes not.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    ... Don't get fuel in Auckland if you can avoid it. Generally a bit cheaper at Hampton Downs (Gull), hideously expensive at Huntly, then reasonably cheap in Avalon Drive (north side of Hamilton)/Hamilton. Prices can be wildly variable in the more remote areas - sometimes extra cheap, sometimes not.
    If you don't have the app "Gaspy" on your phone, have a look at it - gives prices for local areas.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    At legal speeds, highway 1 is the quickest way to do it these days. 1b to miss Hamilton.
    Just did the "ask Google maps" with SH1 as one route, then Western Lake Rd, then via National Park...

according to Navigator Google all are with 15 mins of each other...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    if its wet and drizzly the parapara may not be the best chouce on a unfamilair bike can be very slippery through there.
    I would seriously consider sh1 except go west side lake taupo
    If you decide on the National Park route and want to avoid the Paraparas, then left south of Horopito on to SH49 to Ohakune and across to Waiouru to pick up SH1.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Where are you picking up the bike?
    ]
    Meeting at AUckland Airport when I land
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    What bike are you getting?, sounds like a good pre summer adventure, good luck wih your trip will keep an eye out for ya.
    late-(ish) model R6
    At legal speeds, highway 1 is the quickest way to do it these days. 1b to miss Hamilton.
    won't be getting too silly - unfamiliar bike and roads dont make a good recipe when mixed with an excitable right wrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    Southbound through Takanini is better than northbound, at least, but both atrocious.

I echo getting off at Rangiriri (Te Kauwhata exit) if traffic is heavy, to go via Glen Murray if there is a lot of traffic. I travel Akl-Ham weekly and only go via Glen Murray to avoid heavy traffic - generally (like at Takanini) no one observes the temporary limits and you can be sailing through at 90ks just to keep up with the flow. However, generally southbound flows a lot better than northbound.

SH1B from Taupiri will get you nearly to the Cambridge expressway, which cuts off 5ks on the way to Karapiro (and 5 mins). 110 is the legal speed limit on the Cambridge section of the expressway. But I don't usually travel further south than Hamilton on the bike so I'd listen to Moi's route suggestions.

Don't get fuel in Auckland if you can avoid it. Generally a bit cheaper at Hampton Downs (Gull), hideously expensive at Huntly, then reasonably cheap in Avalon Drive (north side of Hamilton)/Hamilton. Prices can be wildly variable in the more remote areas - sometimes extra cheap, sometimes not.
    cool, Im checking out all these routes on Gmaps
    If you don't have the app "Gaspy" on your phone, have a look at it - gives prices for local areas.
    Ill keep that in mind, but I pay south island fuel prices so its probably still gunna be cheaper up north. second half of the trip in the south island will all be about 15c a litre more probably anyway

Bike
    motocompo
    I took 1B in my classic BMW a few weeks back.
    They're taking the piss aren't they?
    I goes on & fuckin on all over the shire.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I took 1B in my classic BMW a few weeks back.
    They're taking the piss aren't they?
    I goes on & fuckin on all over the shire.
    Yeah, seems like it cant be faster. But it is.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I'd stick to HW1 if you don't want to rush and also don't want to take in faster twisty detours. On a bike the extra traffic on HW1 doesn't really hold you up. The Taupo township detour is a time saver. But I love stopping in at Taupo for a break and hitting golf balls into the lake.

If you do fancy some more enjoyable riding detours then;
    Turn right at Tokoroa on to HW32 to Whakamaru dam and after that take a left onto Pohihi Rd, which takes you through beaut scenery to Taupo township.

Turn left 200 metres before entering Mangaweka township and blast through a gorge to Rangiwahia and on to Kimbolton (this is awesome bike country and will wear out the limits of your tyres sidewall edges. Take care on entering some of the blind corners, they can tighten up and have long drops off the side of cliffs.

I go to Hamilton a lot to visit family and the cheapest gas is in Putaruru (Waitomo brand I think?) and the Gull about 15 minutes north of Taupo.

ENJOY the ride
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    suzuki
    If you decide on the National Park route and want to avoid the Paraparas, then left south of Horopito on to SH49 to Ohakune and across to Waiouru to pick up SH1.
    what, the paraparas is one of the best roads in the world, lived in wanganui and with work riding etc i've done it easily a thousand times, how often after a wet day does the local paper report the carnage due to the wet roads, fuck all because people ride to the conditions simply

Bike
    suzuki
    the guy wants an efficient way to get from auckland to wellington in one day, do you think he's wanting to travel all over for five cents a liter on a probably 20 litre tanked bike?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    the guy wants an efficient way to get from auckland to wellington in one day, do you think he's wanting to travel all over for five cents a liter on a probably 20 litre tanked bike?
    If you can save up to 20c/litre, then it might be worth buying from the petrol station that's 100 metres off the main road... that's $4 on a 20 litre tank...

Bike
    what, the paraparas is one of the best roads in the world, lived in wanganui and with work riding etc i've done it easily a thousand times, how often after a wet day does the local paper report the carnage due to the wet roads, fuck all because people ride to the conditions simply
    Did you read the posting that I was responding to?

Bike
    DKW
    good call, he is from the south island, he is used to being raped at the bowser so he can subsidise dorkland.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    2 boxing days in a row i saw bikes in the same group as me go skating down the road because the riders were taken unawares of how slippery that papa clay is.They obviously didnt see the brown tinge to the surface.That is why i advise the OP to avoid the Paraparas i he is on unfamiliar bike/tyres

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    2 boxing days in a row i saw bikes in the same group as me go skating down the road because the riders were taken unawares of how slippery that papa clay is.They obviously didnt see the brown tinge to the surface.That is why i advise the OP to avoid the Paraparas i he is on unfamiliar bike/tyres
    papa is grey, easy to spot, if you've got your eyes peeled, harder if you're more interested in playing keep up with another as your priority, that's not the roads fault

Thread Information