Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: 74/75 850 Commando

Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I still can't understand why Triumph has not brought out a 'hot-rod' Hinckley Bonnie engine.
    Some think they can take on an XR750 - they are not winning races, but not totally hopeless.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triumph-flat-tracker-4-760x570.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	287294
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    That's the thing - there are tuners making good power out of the engines reliably. I wondered early on if Triumph would start doing their version of Screaming Eagle kits for the Bonnie - big bore, cams, carbs/injectors etc. nah.

Still they have sold thousands of them so probably don't need to cater to my desires!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    What like the Green frame on ebay at 122K?
    no proper 4 valve ones, not Grandas museum pieces.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    That's the thing - there are tuners making good power out of the engines reliably. I wondered early on if Triumph would start doing their version of Screaming Eagle kits for the Bonnie - big bore, cams, carbs/injectors etc. nah.

Still they have sold thousands of them so probably don't need to cater to my desires!
    I think you are right that they sell enough and can't be arsed. Once you push up the HP the very poor suspension and brakes would need upgrading....

I've seen ( on the net) dyno runs with over 80 HP, compared to the stock 50-55.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Good to see life in the Norton thread.
    Its a rainy day on the East coast so off to the garage shortly.

The Mk2a got a bit of a going over to source a oil leak which looked to be a hose off the oil filter,order sent off to Andover Norton for under $200 which is not to bad at all.
    Mainly maintenance parts,a new set of needles and needle jets and other sundries,the Madass sleeve kit for the master cylinder is next on the list to be fitted.

photo 49e9b0d6-ea5d-48c5-aba7-0daa3523af9a.jpg

New shoes for the 750 including a set of Avon road rider universals underway.
    An eBay rear hub cleaned up nicely (brass wire brush) to go with Madass rims and s/s spoke kits,a front hub is being a little more elusive and might have to use the original even though I wanted to keep those wheels intact.
    No doubt if I strip the wheel a hub will come available.

photo IMG_0423.jpg

The 1957 TR6 Trophy that arrived from the US some months ago and meant to be a next year project turned out to be to much of a temptation.
    Looks like I am on the hunt for pre unit parts.

photo 1957TR6-1.jpg

Bike
    So old you won't care
    That 57 is just so nice... Ah but you are a fortunate man - thanks for sharing...

Bike
    XR200
    Might have already posted here but Mike, I thought you were working on a Thruxton? Much as I love Norton Commandos, the Thruxton has to be a better bike.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    deleted.....realised your probably talking about a 60's Thruxton not the lardy slow replica

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    deleted.....realised your probably talking about a 60's Thruxton not the lardy slow replica
    Then there's the REAL Thruxton...of the Velocette kind

Bike
    Smokers and a tractor

Commando Carbs

It had to be done,not only because of the my current idling probs but because they were steadily leaking petrol at standstill.
    So much so that I left a bowl under the carbs overnight and had collected over a cupful of petrol the next morning.
    I stripped them down and wow the wear on the slides/carb body is pretty horrendous considering the slides were replaced 5000ks or so ago.
    The floats were doing their job ok and consequently the petrol tanks taps were leaking in the off position...so I'm suspecting leaking is just the carbs drainplug washers are duff and replace the taps.

I rang up British Spares down in Nelson and after enquiring/pricing up left and right side carb bodies (diff prices) and slides,O-rings,washers and gaskets etc the price difference was dearer than if I just get a pair of brand new fully kitted carbs...and a little bit more for the new and improved 'premiere' carbs.
    Brit Spares are recommending this...but they would,wouldn't they?

Anyways reading back through this thread there are a couple of punters who have had sleeve jobs done to their slides/carb body???and they seem pretty happy with the results.
    However on the AMAL website they do not recommend sleeving...but they would,would'nt they?

So,what to do? The sleeving appeals to the cheap bastard in me.A good engineering workshop should be able to do this right?or is there a bit more to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton carb strip 003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	656.2 KB 
ID:	299219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton carb strip 002.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	597.7 KB 
ID:	299218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norton carb strip 001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	500.4 KB 
ID:	299216  

Bike
    Street Triple R

Richard Pollock (MULE MOTORCYCLES) has hot rodded a few: check him out

http://www.mulemotorcycles.net/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    A good engineering workshop should be able to do this right?or is there a bit more to it.
    Finding someone who has actual hands on experience is the problem, not to be confused with people who think they are competent.
    The Amal Premiers have a better designed idle circuit also and it seems they are made from better materials so long term wear is minimised.
    The Amals on my fastback are at that stage, still OK but show wear at the slide and body so the same decision is on the horizon, I am thinking Premiers at this stage, hopefully that would mean fit and forget besides the usual synchronisation check now and again.

Since the thread has sprung to life again, a 19 lb box arrived from Jim Comstock in Colorado late yesterday.
    I had picked up a good 750 head earlier in the year on US eBay for $325 and Jim has gone over it, Kibblewhite valves and guides along with bronze inserts for the head studs and exhaust port threads.

This was the ebay pic.

photo pp.jpg

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    My Combat has sleeves fitted over the slides, starts, idles and runs nicely. No idea who did it.
    I gather the Premier ones are the way to go too.
    Cost would probably determine the best way.
    Or fit a Mikuni
    Not coz its Japanese, coz its lazy.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by eelracing View Post
    It had to be done,not only because of the my current idling probs but because they were steadily leaking petrol at standstill.
    So much so that I left a bowl under the carbs overnight and had collected over a cupful of petrol the next morning.
    I stripped them down and wow the wear on the slides/carb body is pretty horrendous considering the slides were replaced 5000ks or so ago.
    The floats were doing their job ok and consequently the petrol tanks taps were leaking in the off position...so I'm suspecting leaking is just the carbs drainplug washers are duff and replace the taps.

I rang up British Spares down in Nelson and after enquiring/pricing up left and right side carb bodies (diff prices) and slides,O-rings,washers and gaskets etc the price difference was dearer than if I just get a pair of brand new fully kitted carbs...and a little bit more for the new and improved 'premiere' carbs.
    Brit Spares are recommending this...but they would,wouldn't they?

Anyways reading back through this thread there are a couple of punters who have had sleeve jobs done to their slides/carb body???and they seem pretty happy with the results.
    However on the AMAL website they do not recommend sleeving...but they would,would'nt they?

So,what to do? The sleeving appeals to the cheap bastard in me.A good engineering workshop should be able to do this right?or is there a bit more to it.
    Pat Thackwell in CHCH (hes dead now I am pretty sure) used to do a good trade in resleeving the MK1's, they are a silly design soft on soft wears fast. Sleeve them if you want to keep them they will last longer than the originals too.
    I can't remember what Pat used to do But Grumph will know.........
    Amal could make awesome carbs but they had to make them to a price and Norton BSA and Triumph wanted something cheap.
    If keeping original is not a problem (I couldn't be assed reading the thread) get a pair of new Mikunis or Keihins
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I couldn't be assed reading the thread
    clearly

Thread Information