Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 5043

Thread: The Bucket Foundry

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bloody Printers!.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	344182 - what the hell have I done this time?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Quote Originally Posted by Frits Overmars View Post
    If only. I do tend to think this is a piss take, sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about that.

Although I have been spouting on about this for a while now, electric direct to ethanol, then burn it efficiently, returning the carbon from whenst it came. Not fresh from out of the ground.

Why the fuck didnt moto GP do this years ago with the 250 class instead of making them all big fat fourstrokes.
    Keep the twostroke but bang some emmission rules on it, see where it leads. It would have been far more exciting, and usefull. Yay for Honda, barstards.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    If only. I do tend to think this is a piss take, sounds too good to be true and you know what they say about that.
    ..... I have been spouting on about this for a while now, electric direct to ethanol,............

Neil - not entirely sure what you are meaning here! - (electric direct to ethanol,)
    At first I thought you meant powering a fuel cell with Ethanol, but then perhaps you mean just changing to Ethanol instead? ...... or am I just thick?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Flettner View Post
    I did consider casting a piston with what would amount to a surface fire plug in its center. Wires were to be cast in (ceramic coating) that went to the outside of the piston. Carbon 'slip rings' were to transfer the spark energy.
    All got too hard so I gave up. The differential piston size bought the combustion chamber to more managable dimensions with side spark plugs.
    My new design is back to same size cylinders and a far more cunning piston / combustion chamber layout. It gets rid of the traditional Uniflow transfer issues and makes for a handy combustion chamber. The guy in Italy is evaluating it, so I can't say nothing about it at the moment.

Will, first engine, same direction cranks ( three gears), second engine opposite direction (four gears) all engines were smooth. Largely stuck to about square bore and stroke ( ish ). Exhaust lead intake by 6 degrees, exhaust and transfer were similar durations as a normal twostroke.
    This helped with blowdown.
    rejigged a bit
    Tappered oil-scraper rings at the top of each piston and an up-passing taper below the wrist pin, the idea being to trap enough oil between those taper-faced scrapers,, to maintain full-film lubrication. The idea has appeal, but it didn’t work; the scoring continued.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...manent-crisis/

I know according to Cameron it didn't work on a 54.8L B29 engine but what about on a Feltner KISS101.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    STRIKE trike & KTM300 EXC TPI
    Nothing like casting today: 36 deg & humid (evaps don't even work too well it seems).
    Before:

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	820.8 KB 
ID:	344256

After:

Name:	BDCA19512.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	344255

What's this? An absorber, a gen set or both?

Name:	DSC_1849.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	905.0 KB 
ID:	344254
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by ken seeber View Post

4 stroke bottom end, with remote flywheel.

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Nothing like casting today: 36 deg & humid (evaps don't even work too well it seems).
    Before:

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	820.8 KB 
ID:	344256

After:

Name:	BDCA19512.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	344255

Maybe the beginnings of a home brewed compressor? - hope things get nicer on the temperature front over there.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    The great thing about induction motors is that they can act as a generator with the same output as they are rated at as a motor. In my case it is a 5.6 kW (7.5 hp in the old days) 3000 rpm device. Acting as a motor, it will run at slightly less than the synchronous speed (the slip difference) say 2950 rpm when under load. In reverse, it can absorb up to the 5.6 kW, but at a speed slightly above the synchronous speed, say 3050 rpm. The electrical power being generated goes back into the mains, turning your meter backwards....nice.

Name:	Induction motor characteristics.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	344261

So, we have a single speed dyno. Hence the stepped pulley to alter the engine speed.

How to measure power absorbed. Two ways:

1. Trunnion mount the motor and fit it with a torque arm and load cell/scale

2. Simply measure the current output of the motor. Dunno about the accuracy, but in my case it is just a comparator. Old elec motors are cheap particularly in my case, being a bit of a hoarder, it was already in stock.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.”

Bike
    husaberg
    The great thing about induction motors is that they can act as a generator with the same output as they are rated at as a motor. In my case it is a 5.6 kW (7.5 hp in the old days) 3000 rpm device. Acting as a motor, it will run at slightly less than the synchronous speed (the slip difference) say 2950 rpm when under load. In reverse, it can absorb up to the 5.6 kW, but at a speed slightly above the synchronous speed, say 3050 rpm. The electrical power being generated goes back into the mains, turning your meter backwards....nice.

Name:	Induction motor characteristics.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	344261

So, we have a single speed dyno. Hence the stepped pulley to alter the engine speed.

How to measure power absorbed. Two ways:

1. Trunnion mount the motor and fit it with a torque arm and load cell/scale

2. Simply measure the current output of the motor. Dunno about the accuracy, but in my case it is just a comparator. Old elec motors are cheap particularly in my case, being a bit of a hoarder, it was already in stock.
    Someone (Agnes AKA @ Stroke Stuffing) has one with the tire running on the Armature direct as ABB has conveniently already calculated the inertia of it.
    It has built in robust bearing and is balanced for high speed so it made a nice Dyno.

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...post1130914338

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	231.5 KB 
ID:	344262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0338.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	344263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0349.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	344264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0337.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	344265
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Someone (Agnes AKA @ Stroke Stuffing) has one with the tire running on the Armature direct as ABB has conveniently already calculated the inertia of it.
    It has built in robust bearing and is balanced for high speed so it made a nice Dyno.
    Hewsa,

Yer right, but all he is doing is using the gutted motor armature as an inertia flywheel. In my case, I just wanted a small steady state absorber. In this case to test the power output & fuel consumption of a small, transferportless 2 stroke.

More to come.

Bike
    none
    I just wanted a small steady state absorber. In this case to test the power output & fuel consumption of a small, transferportless 2 stroke.
    Been there, done that (sort of...). Below is an article that I published in 1977 about a revolutionary development: the Top Valve Piston System.
    The photos should speak for themselves. Only one thing was not mentioned: it was an April joke .

Name:	TVPS 1977.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	344271

Bike
    75 RD250b, 76 250C , 78 250E
    On the uni I was attending there was a doctor case about a 2t with valve in piston crown if You can find those docs here's the numbers http://bibliografia.ath.bielsko.pl/c...nik+dwusuwowy+

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Been there, done that (sort of...). Below is an article that I published in 1977 about a revolutionary development: the Top Valve Piston System.
    ......... Only one thing was not mentioned: it was an April joke .
    I have always believed that every joke is inspired by a serious thought!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    husaberg
    The photos should speak for themselves. Only one thing was not mentioned: it was an April joke .

Name:	TVPS 1977.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	344271
    There was a design with a valve in the piston in one of the 2t books i have.
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    I remember that design by Draper?? - just sold that book (was it an orange hardback)along with about a dozen others) but that was just a proposed or suggested design, difference between that and reality! - I used to think it would soon be in production - yeah right!
    Strokers Galore!

Thread Information