Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a Nap

Bike
    2015 S1000RR

Had a Nap

Well its been a while, I had a snooze from KB but have dusted off my login. I see some familiar names still, many new ones.
    Located in Northland these days, not done much riding over the last few years, but looking at getting back into it more as time allows.
    Thought I would just say "hi, back again!"
    Would like some pointers on best roads up here?
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Depending on where you are situated, Ahipara to Kohukohu, a burger at the pub then a leisurely barge crossing to Rawene. Through to Kaikohe take Te Pua rd which will bring you out onto SH1 and the Mangamuka's are ahead of you heading north. Or you could turn right at Kaikohe and enjoy the Twin Bridges road then onto Dargaville and up through the Waipoua/Omapere and Opononi.

https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Ah...35.1713389!3e0

Or a shorter loop. Ice Cream at the Bush Fairy Dairy.
    https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Ah...35.1713389!3e0

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Went through the twin bridges road a month or so ago, real nice with lots of variety. I'll definitely do that road again!
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Went through the twin bridges road a month or so ago, real nice with lots of variety. I'll definitely do that road again!
    The first time I went up that road, I had intentions of going over the Paihia and making my way back home from there. I got to Kaikohe, had a Subway, thought about the 70 kms of road I had just been on and decided to do it again. So I headed back down it.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    The first time I went up that road, I had intentions of going over the Paihia and making my way back home from there. I got to Kaikohe, had a Subway, thought about the 70 kms of road I had just been on and decided to do it again. So I headed back down it.
    Haha yeah I've been known to flick a u-turn and re do roads I like. Sometimes it makes me late, but not always...

The bloke who suggested the twin bridges said it was his favourite road, so he led the way. I had good fun keeping up!
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Haha yeah I've been known to flick a u-turn and re do roads I like. Sometimes it makes me late, but not always...

The bloke who suggested the twin bridges said it was his favourite road, so he led the way. I had good fun keeping up!
    Aw Shucks, now don't let your new friend ca,,,,a, hear yoy saying things like,you enjoyed keeping up, they'll go mental ,about "pressure"
    A condifent ride leader who does know a good bit of road can make even mediocre roads quite enjoyable, it's not all about the speed, it's equally about corner entry, forward visability and throttle on exit's that make a bit of road fun.
    Yep, roll on summer when time isn't as important. Maha, I hope you two are biked up again soon me ol mate.Give Mom a big kiss from me will ya.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Its a Boat

We did a few U Turns on our trips, we renamed our tour group the Te Whakawi U Turners for one trip up north.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/585533...57551955/page1

Our last trip in 2013... https://www.flickr.com/photos/585533...7637780560994/

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Some great suggestions guys, was looking at the Old Russel Road and from what I could see a scenic run out to Helena Bay and then up to Russel is possible.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Went on a large group ride up the old Russel road some years ago, someone tossed their R6 into a bunch of toi toi and KittyHawk slid her Kawasaki into a drain. I had a front wheel wash in gravel at Whale bay but managed to keep thing upright.

Just looking at the photos, I think that's zapf in the second pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norfs Ride 006.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	692.1 KB 
ID:	332208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norfs Ride 005.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	681.1 KB 
ID:	332209  

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    No shortage of good rides up here, we did the pataua north and then sneak over the footbridge (the locals gave us the ok today, we just go quietly over when no one is on it...) and pataua south to parua bay then back up over mt tiger avoiding crazy gun totin' locals!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_SL0 View Post
    Some great suggestions guys, was looking at the Old Russel Road and from what I could see a scenic run out to Helena Bay and then up to Russel is possible.
    Lurvely bit of road. Be aware of varied road surface and shaded corners, the odd bit of gravel and possibly a camper van gone awry as the driver jaw drops at the view.
    Not trying to dissuade you, as said I love that road, just keep your wits about you.
    The cafe at Helena Bay is a great place to stop and soak up the view with a good coffee. Be prepared to do u turns of joy....

There is as much, if not more, great gravel riding in the area if you swing both ways. I normally avoid the ferry and go via Waikare Rd, much more fun on road tires.

Oop north, the Matauri Bay loop is another wee gem.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    No shortage of good rides up here, we did the pataua north and then sneak over the footbridge (the locals gave us the ok today, we just go quietly over when no one is on it...) and pataua south to parua bay then back up over mt tiger avoiding crazy gun totin' locals!
    Been there as well, in fact you were with us that day.

Name:	Wart Ride 003.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	898.8 KB 
ID:	332212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wart Ride 021.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	777.9 KB 
ID:	332213  

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I remember that day!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    In the summer just gone we went up to Kerikeri and then across and down the west coast taking in the Waipoua Forest. It was a nice trip, my partners first big ride on open road with decent twisties. I have spent a little time exploring my local area (Bream Bay) but kept running into gravel roads. I'm not worried of a small trip along the gravel (Done my fair share of gravel roads in the Waikato). But when I found myself having to do a u turn on a hill in loose gravel on a S1000rr it was not the most memorable moment. Maybbbbeeeee I need a second bike for gravel/tarmac, hmmmmm.
    Thanks for the advice, George, sounds similar to an old favorite (22), the whole, never know what to expect was part of the fun.
    Will have to catch up with some of the locals at some point for a ride.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Oh yeah, I remember that day!
    I had the ape hangers on the CB that day.

Name:	ape.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	773.5 KB 
ID:	332240  

Thread Information