Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmet lifespan?

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09

Helmet lifespan?

How long would you anticipate a helmet to last, sans crashes or impact?

Do you replace on a time schedule (ie, every 5 years), or kms travelled (I don't know, but, maybe 25 or 50,000kms?). Or use some other form of measurement to determine a new one is needed?

Bike
    ES XTZ
    When its not snug anymore, if you find that your tightning the chin strap more than you used to and it feels still a bit slack around the brain bucket its time, also wind noise picks up.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    IMHE the glue holding the polystyrene in place becomes brittle and the padding / polystyrene starts to break down.

If a helmet is not in daily use and kept somewhere ambient they seem to last a few years without degrading.

Regular use, a sweaty scone and UV break them down quicker.

Carefully check strap mounting points, buckles etc for any sign of corrosion.

As said, if the fit is getting a little sloppy then safety is being compromised.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I swapped pads on one helmet. That fixed it pretty well. For a while.

I tend to get chary at about 5 years meself - although I have that number on no authority at all.
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    Street Triple R
    LOL I had a couple of Shoei Raid 2's and one of them when I checked it was from 2005. The "good" replacement (which I was still wearing up to last week) was dated 2006. Yeah, I've been shopping. I really wanted a Bell but they don't fit me for shit.

I may go for an Arai if I can find the right one at the right price but the current front runner is a Shoei .... errr.... RPHA I think its called.

Most of the time I wear my faux German WW2 helmet though, with one of those protective bandanas. Because badass.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I swapped pads on one helmet. That fixed it pretty well. For a while.

I tend to get chary at about 5 years meself - although I have that number on no authority at all.
    Yeah - everyone "knows" you should replace your helmet at 5 years, but no one can give a definitive answer.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    but the current front runner is a Shoei .... errr.... RPHA I think its called.
    HDC

Lol, RPHA is a version of HJC helmets.....I'm on my second RPHA11, Love it. First one only lasted part way through it's second race meeting....oops!

Love the fit, venting the dark visor that comes OEM as well as the clear one fitted.

Bike
    A
    As others have already posted, anywhere from 3-5 years is a guide. Strictly speaking that's from date of manufacture, small sticker on inside back of helmet will usually reveal that.

If in daily use, you'll be lucky to get 5 years. If in all day daily use, 18-24 months and it gets biffed.

The full speech is available upon attendance at a Ride Forever course near you......ask that Blackbird fella for recommendations on instructors haha

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    The full speech is available upon attendance at a Ride Forever course near you......ask that Blackbird fella for recommendations on instructors haha
    Sigh........

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    It's a interesting question as for years it has been a unsupported 5 years. Then I noticed a while back Arai advertising in magazines a five year warranty. Which implies they think the helmet will outlast the warranty?

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Sigh........
    OK then sir, you can tell her who to avoid perhaps?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    OK then sir, you can tell her who to avoid perhaps?
    Me?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    It's a interesting question as for years it has been a unsupported 5 years. Then I noticed a while back Arai advertising in magazines a five year warranty. Which implies they think the helmet will outlast the warranty?
    No doubt conditions will apply ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Arai and Shoei both give either a 5 year warranty from purchase or 7 years from manufacture, whichever is shorter. The lifetime of a helmet will be quite different, depending on all sorts of factors.

I bought a NOS Shoei X Spirit a few years ago that was about 5 years old. It had been in a warehouse all of that time, and still had a new helmet smell. I'm sure it would have lasted nearly as long as a brand new one but was damaged in a crash after a year.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Arai and Shoei both give either a 5 year warranty from purchase or 7 years from manufacture, whichever is shorter. The lifetime of a helmet will be quite different, depending on all sorts of factors.

I bought a NOS Shoei X Spirit a few years ago that was about 5 years old. It had been in a warehouse all of that time, and still had a new helmet smell. I'm sure it would have lasted nearly as long as a brand new one but was damaged in a crash after a year.
    Bell also offer a five year warranty. I bought a 'new' 2014 Bell RS-1 recently online at a generous discount that must have been sitting on a shelf all that time, was in 'as new' condition and I'd be happy to wear it for several years. I wonder how many people check the age of the helmets they buy 'new' from a store.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information