Page 1612 of 2629 FirstFirst ... 61211121512156216021610161116121613161416221662171221122612 ... LastLast
Results 24,166 to 24,180 of 39427

Thread: ESE's works engine tuner

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbw View Post
    If the top ring friction force is nearly 50N at TDC how can the ring power loss at TDC be zero?
    Power =work done / time

= force X distance / time

= force X velocity

= 50 X 0

=0

The friction power loss is greatest when the piston is moving fastest. Zero when it's stationary.

Cheers, Daryl

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

True, F1 is tightly prescribed, tech-wise..& 2T s are banned..

F1 changed from super-expensive, fragile/wasteful ultra-high rpm N/A V10/V8 mills to a design concept
    that would appear to be more durable/efficient, the lower rpm hybrid turbo-compound...

Cost however, of making such engines hack high heat/pressure - instead of rpm, remains real high.

Fact is, 4Ts 'Have one power stroke, then three to wear the engine out' - to paraphrase R-R engineer Stanley Hooker.

To get 4Ts to do some decent work, you have to rev their tits off, or supercharge them, (chemically &/or by pumps),
    which always ends up being a complex/costly exericise..

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    F1 changed from super-expensive, fragile/wasteful ultra-high rpm N/A V10/V8 mills to a design concept
    that would appear to be more durable/efficient, the lower rpm hybrid turbo-compound...

Cost however, of making such engines hack high heat/pressure - instead of rpm, remains real high.
    If I had my way they could still be using old 4cyl BMW road car engines if they wanted and whatever aerodynamics & tyres they think work best.
    Formula Libre is #1 for me

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    Fact is, 4Ts 'Have one power stroke, then three to wear the engine out' - to paraphrase R-R engineer Stanley Hooker.
    Wise man, and clearly seen in the Ricardo graphs.

Cheers, Daryl.

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Now for something completely different..

A compact expansion chamber using "large angle diffuser" ( LAD) multiple internal cone flow vectoring, perhaps?

Anyone game to try it?

www.chengfluid.com/flow_conditioner/

Bike
    Vintage 2T

Lightbulb Not more rings, More Balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pursang View Post

Quick easy dyno experiment: 1X used piston, cut a ring groove around the skirt, shouldn't need a full skirt because it's below the ports & not holding any pressure, just the skirt off the bore. Fit a worn in/out ring, check that it doesn't drop out the bottom of the liner, check ring gap through stroke & pin it to prevent rotation.

Easier than most things you have tried.

PS, don't expect it to last too long and don't use your good barrel.
    Quick easy experiment #2. If you're uncomfortable with adding a ring to the bottom of a piston, you could do a quick and dirty run with these.

Hole in skirt (front & rear) to let ball protrude. Countersunk brass screws & nuts to adjust. (Could also add some springs or rubber, for a tiny bit of pre-load). Should roll in and out (over/through?) inlet/transfer ports, if required. Or use 2 one on either side of port or piston cut-out.

Similar PS applies: don't expect it to last for more than a couple of minutes and don't use your good engine.

A couple of back to backs (without & with) should disclose if any significant benefit is available.
    (15 KW in the Ricardo tests, assume that's per piston so +66% for the 125, worth a look?)
    Remember though, it was only 15KW peak at max piston speed so any improvements will be averaged.

PPS, keeping the piston square in the bore might help those Wisecos survive better too.

PM me if it works. Don't sue me if it doesn't.

Cheers, Daryl

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Why not a few doz ballpoint pen nibs?

Quick easy experiment #2. If you're uncomfortable with adding a ring to the bottom of a piston, you could do a quick and dirty run with these.

Hole in skirt (front & rear) to let ball protrude. Countersunk brass screws & nuts to adjust. (Could also add some springs or rubber, for a tiny bit of pre-load). Should roll in and out of inlet/transfer ports, if required.

Similar PS applies: don't expect it to last for more than a couple of minutes and don't use your good engine.

A couple of back to backs (without & with) should disclose if any significant benefit is available.
    (15 KW in the Ricardo tests, assume that's per piston so +66% for the 125, worth a look?)

Cheers, Daryl

Fit the brass ball/roller nibs in the thrust face & pre-load with lube, instead of ink?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Neither did I, but I'm sure someone did.

Quick easy dyno experiment: 1X used piston, cut a ring groove around the skirt, shouldn't need a full skirt because it's below the ports & not holding any pressure, just the skirt off the bore. Fit a worn in/out ring, check that it doesn't drop out the bottom of the liner, check ring gap through stroke & pin it to prevent rotation.

Easier than most things you have tried.

PS, don't expect it to last too long and don't use your good barrel.

cheers, Daryl.
    How do you lubricate the piston/sleeve?

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    Now your just taking the piss.

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorn.clauw.1 View Post
    +1 on your crank truing vid. I made a jig that holds the crank webs in allignment when I press. I normally put some green loctite in the holes in the crankwebs (a little, so there is no exces that comes out and glues your big end solid,... don't ask). They always come out true. Until last, when the pressure gage of my hydraulic press broke and I decided to eyeball it. pushed too hard and had misallignment. Frits his method with the bolt worked nicely. The axial missaligment was an other story. Gently tapping was no longer enough to adjust it. Got it true in the end though.

Wondering if it's a good idea now to put some loctite in the holes on the crankweb (or if it even helps at all)? Comes from a rotax manual I believe.

jig looks like this

Attachment 326376

this looks interesting. Never tried it though. (maybe beef it up a little)

Attachment 326377
    Thanks!
    Check out my YouTube channel! - 2STROKE STUFFING -
    https://www.youtube.com/2STROKESTUFFING
    Two strokes & rum!

Bike
    Vintage 2T
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    How do you lubricate the piston/sleeve?
    Piston & liner will be exposed to air/fuel/oil through the inlet & transfer ports.
    Fuel vaporises and leaves some oil behind.
    Doesn't need much cos there's bugger all contact between the piston & liner.

Remember this is just an idea for a quick dyno test. Squirt some oil on it during assembly.

Cheers Daryl.

Bike
    Vintage 2T

Trying to think back into the box.

Hole in skirt (front & rear) to let ball protrude. Countersunk brass screws & nuts to adjust. (Could also add some springs or rubber, for a tiny bit of pre-load). Should roll in and out (over/through?) inlet/transfer ports, if required. Or use 2 one on either side of port or piston cut-out.

Remember though, it was only 15KW peak at max piston speed so any improvements will be averaged.

PPS, keeping the piston square in the bore might help those Wisecos survive better too.

The screwed on ball bearings might be a bit rough, even for me.

How about Brass brake shoe rivets? Brass Thumb tacks?

How about Teflon buttons, shaped like thumbtacks, countersunk into the skirt?

Quick & easy to do, should give enough life for a few runs before it all turns to poo.
    Works for Harleys on Nitro.

Credit for the pics to this site: https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bulbenefit2011.html

Cheers, Daryl

Bike
    2005 aprilia rs50
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Attachment 326268

Cant see it in the picture but the exhaust fan has been put inside a piece of air duct that used to go around a pot belly stove chimney. The fan itself is a 200mm 400V 3 phase unit a friend rescued from the skip for me so I don't really know where you could buy one. Behind Cully is another 200mm fan that draws fresh air from outside and blows it over the dyno operators.

For an exhaust extractor fan, the gutted propane heater looks a very good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    I'm using a gutted propane heater, works ok(for 50cc atleast).

I've actually got a proper exhaust extraction fan, but that's used for cooling. When I think about it my bike always seems to be "overcooled" on the dyno, might switch them around.

Thanks for the info guys.

A few pics of our dyno:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyno constuction.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	326406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno construction 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	326405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno-cheq.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	326407

Dave

Bike
    Peugeot spx
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvbaz View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

A few pics of our dyno:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyno constuction.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	326406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno construction 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	326405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dyno-cheq.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	343.1 KB 
ID:	326407

Dave
    That's a nice clean looking dyno, especially found of the front wheel mount!

How about some "slow tv" to round off the evening.

https://youtu.be/hlsogG-zcC0
    Check out my YouTube channel! - 2STROKE STUFFING -
    https://www.youtube.com/2STROKESTUFFING
    Two strokes & rum!

Bike
    zuma50
    Tell me what you used for inertia wheel on your dyno

Bike
    2005 aprilia rs50

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by adegnes View Post
    That's a nice clean looking dyno, especially found of the front wheel mount