Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road legal XRs?

Road legal XRs?

How many of you ride road legal Honda XR's?

I've come to the realisation after trying out a fair few 'road style' bikes that I don't like them much...if at all...I want to go back to what I know and get another dirt bike...only one I can ride to work.

My mate has a KTM525, and as much as I love that...the maintenance/parts on that thing is nothing but $$$ so I want a trusty XR.

I would probably go for the XR400, or even 600...

Could people knowledgable on these bikes when used on-road please discuss so you can sway my decision.

Also, how do they handle longish trips (i.e. 300 + kms in a day)?

Cheers.
    "I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and I dont give a fuck if you're at the top!!!"

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    I had 80's vintage XR's and they were bullet proof.

I returned to the clan with a new XR250L I bought in January and expect it to last as well as the old ones.

I've posted plenty of pics of recent rides with it. It happily cruises at above the legal limit on tarseal or gravel and turns in 25km/litre or better. How could I complain about that.

I am small of stature so have never had an XR bigger than a 250 so can't comment on the 400, 600 or 650 but would expect typical Honda they would not let you down.

300kms rides in a day were fine even on the old XR200 I had and typical adventure rides are of about that length so no sweat really.

Zukin did some big days on his XR250 riding to Coromandel recently so search out his story.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    A Blade or two
    When I buy another chook chaser the XR650R will be right at the top of the list, 160kph on standard gearing should make it a fine bike for the odd long haul as well. The DRZ400 looks like a good bike too.
    SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY
    BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Bike
    97 CRM 250 AR
    IIRC Spudchucker got himself an XR600. Think Motoracer's brother has one too (that MR has been known to ride).

From what I've read they're pretty industructable.

Another option is the DR650, far queue has one. Or the Transalper, of which there are half a dozen owners on here.

The dualsport category is certainly alive and well.

Personally I went with a 97 CRM250ar, although I was also looking at the Yamaha DT230.

Have you been on Advrider.com? They have a great forum, tons of advice and good people (including a few from here).
    Hayden - Evidence that even the mediocre can achieve great things.

((U+C+I) x (10-S))/20 x A x 1/(1-sin(F/10))

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Lemur View Post
    IIRC Spudchucker got himself an XR600. Think Motoracer's brother has one too (that MR has been known to ride).
    Yeah and he gets along at a pace that would put most sprot bikers with their fancy pilot power road attack sticky rubber to shame, mind you Motu can get some fair lean and pace on knobbies on the road as well....... jack of all trades that sort of bike

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Yeah and he gets along at a pace that would put most sprot bikers with their fancy pilot power road attack sticky rubber to shame, mind you Motu can get some fair lean and pace on knobbies on the road as well....... jack of all trades that sort of bike
    Spud would never go over 100km/hr on his XR650R though its against the law surely.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    My mate has a KTM525, and as much as I love that...the maintenance/parts on that thing is nothing but $$$ so I want a trusty XR.
    Just how expensive is it to run his 525? I'm interested in a high/highish performance motard for general riding on the road and racing. It may be out of my reach money-wise

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Spud would never go over 100km/hr on his XR650R though its against the law surely.
    Was talking about MR. I am sure Spud wouldn't practice what he did not preach......

Bike
    raptor 1000
    back in the old days (70s) most trailbikes were road legal

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
    back in the old days (70s) most trailbikes were road legal
    Seeing I'm a 60's 70's child we still have all our dirt bikes road legal.
    Cheers

Merv

Thanks guys, 160km on standard gearing sounds nice...with a few small changes I'm sure 200km would be possible...I want something with a good top end, but also quick enough off the lights.

Well...to be really honest I just want something road legal that I can bust stoppies and wheelies on all day (off road of course, haha)...and I just don't get the same satisfaction riding a sport bike...

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Just how expensive is it to run his 525? I'm interested in a high/highish performance motard for general riding on the road and racing. It may be out of my reach money-wise
    It's pricey aye...everytime he takes a decent dive on it (he rides offroad only, so that happens a bit) it costs him near on $1000 to replace a few bits. Even an oil change is an intensive multi-filter experience. But fuck does it go! You can easily power wheelie right through to 5th gear, and then almost in 6th as well.
    "I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, and I dont give a fuck if you're at the top!!!"

Bike
    1999 CBR900RR
    Should have asked a month ago, James sold his XR250 to the boss a short while ago for a pretty reasonable price. Boss just sold it a week or 2 ago as he didn't really use it.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT View Post
    Should have asked a month ago, James sold his XR250 to the boss a short while ago for a pretty reasonable price. Boss just sold it a week or 2 ago as he didn't really use it.
    Haha, fuck it. I kinda want to go bigger if I can...but we'll see how it pans out...

How do you like the avatar HRT?

Bike
    1999 CBR900RR
    I think you're a clown And I think I need to take mine out to your farm to hurt myself on one day

No problem, we need to go back to the BMX track as well...but I've left my bike at trailer at the farm this time so it might have to wait...

Thread Information